Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Post by Ivor »

tweber wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm Anyone get anything interesting for RSD? Some nice releases but some stuff at eye-watering prices mind you some stuff already resurfacing on discogs at multiples of rrp!
I had planned to maybe go in but I got quite sick a few days beforehand so those plans were shelved! As it happens some mates of mine love the whole feeding frenzy and were queueing from 5am outside Tower Records! I gave them a few titles that they might pick up for me if they saw them but in the end it only one they spotted off my short list was Jason Isbell Live from Welcome to 1979 which I have yet to pick up. I see it's already selling for €90 on Discogs!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 pm
tweber wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm Anyone get anything interesting for RSD? Some nice releases but some stuff at eye-watering prices mind you some stuff already resurfacing on discogs at multiples of rrp!
I had planned to maybe go in but I got quite sick a few days beforehand so those plans were shelved! As it happens some mates of mine love the whole feeding frenzy and were queueing from 5am outside Tower Records! I gave them a few titles that they might pick up for me if they saw them but in the end it only one they spotted off my short list was Jason Isbell Live from Welcome to 1979 which I have yet to pick up. I see it's already selling for €90 on Discogs!
Not THAT feeding frenzy the other one! I believe they also have a genuine sale too. Here's the email I got :

'We're absolutely thrilled to bring you another great vinyl sale and we’re giving you ten whole days to get in to us and grab a bargain.
Starting on Friday April 21st at 9am and in both stores, it’s going to be our biggest vinyl sale to date, with new and classic titles to choose from. You can pick up the latest releases from the likes of Ryan Adams, Elbow, Iggy Pop and Glass Animals. If new is not your bag then we’ll always have the classics from Bowie, Prince, The Ramones, Amy Winehouse, Beastie Boys and LOADS more.
Our sale will run up until and including Sunday, April 30th so get planning now!'

Excited ? Oh and get well soon.....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 am

Not THAT feeding frenzy the other one! I believe they also have a genuine sale too. Here's the email I got :
Sorry, my train of thought had already left the station.
To be honest I have loads of new (old) stuff to listen to and little enough I want to go rooting for at the minute. If I take a notion over the weekend I might nip in for a "hit and run" with a few bob in my pocket.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm
cybot wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 am

Sorry, my train of thought had already left the station.
To be honest I have loads of new (old) stuff to listen to and little enough I want to go rooting for at the minute. If I take a notion over the weekend I might nip in for a "hit and run" with a few bob in my pocket.
Good luck!

If anyone else has been in do let me know otherwise there's no point in me leaving the station for exactly the reasons above ;)
tweber

Post by tweber »

Jaysus, €90 is mad money, twas €20 in my local and he even had one left until yesterday. Great version of "Can't you hear me knocking" on it. In fact it's the only purchase I've had time to listen to so far and I think it's great. 5 tracks, 4 covers and what a guitar tone on it!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tweber wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:02 pm
Jaysus, €90 is mad money, twas €20 in my local and he even had one left until yesterday. Great version of "Can't you hear me knocking" on it. In fact it's the only purchase I've had time to listen to so far and I think it's great. 5 tracks, 4 covers and what a guitar tone on it!
Finally picked up that Jason Isbell on Saturday and yeah... it's a cracker! Great guitar sound with the master direct to lacquer technique, essentially no production! Very raw and just good old fashioned guitar rock!

Ivor

How to get started with vinyl (as if we need to know!)

Post by Ivor »

cybot

Re: How to get started with vinyl (as if we need to know!)

Post by cybot »

Nice one Ivor. I know it's stating the bleedin' obvious but I love this excerpt:

[i"]The vinyl market is being driven by newer listeners who are looking for a real-life version of what they're getting on Spotify," he says. "Vinyl is displayed and spoken about and shared, which is all physical and tactile. Each record has a story: I know where I bought it, why, and when. It requires that deeper commitment that has reignited my love for music that kind of stopped when it all disappeared onto a hard drive. "[/i]
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tweber

Post by tweber »

For those of us who are running out of room maybe??
http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?p ... lt&lang=en