Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
tweber

Re: Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Post by tweber »

Hi Lads, any of ye have any experience with 45rpm albums? I've seen a few LPs that I'd be interested in recently, wondering is it a gimmick or does it make a noticeable difference sound wise?
Derek

Post by Derek »

Not a gimmick, they are more stable spinning at 45 than at 33rpm. Any I have are consistently better SQ.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Derek wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 am Not a gimmick, they are more stable spinning at 45 than at 33rpm. Any I have are consistently better SQ.
Thanks Derek
cybot

Post by cybot »

Which albums are you thinking of getting Shane?

You're probably talking to the wrong person as I'm not an advocate of 45 rpm Lps. There's just something slightly unnatural sounding about them especially in the bass. Ok for 12" Techno....

Just my tuppence worth....
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:13 pm Which albums are you thinking of getting Shane?

You're probably talking to the wrong person as I'm not an advocate of 45 rpm Lps. There's just something slightly unnatural sounding about them especially in the bass. Ok for 12" Techno....

Just my tuppence worth....
New EEls is out on 12" 45 rpm next week (or regular 33 10") , was also looking at a Big Star collection recently.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:13 pm

My understanding is that the extra space between the grooves allows for better dynamics all around. I've certainly liked any 45 rpm albums I've bought. But each to their own.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I like the idea of an LP being spread over 2 LPs but like cybot I am definitely not a fan of 45rpm LPs. I concur with cybot that it definitely 'does' something to the sound, in the same way that half-speed mastered sound. Something not right with the bass.

When I see an LP is being issued as a double LP I am delighted but if I see double 45rpm I pass. The only time I made an exception was Eric Clapton's I Still Do because I had no other option than buy it at 45rpm.

For me double 45rpm LPs seem to choke the dynamics. I would love to be able to compare a double 33rpm LP with a double 45rpm LP to prove me wrong, but I don't think it would change my mind.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Ah no, I might have to go for both so! Don't tell the finance/war dept. though :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:28 pm Ah no, I might have to go for both so! Don't tell the finance/war dept. though :-)
Lol 😂