Lampizator Big7

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
tony

Re: Lampizator Big7

Post by tony »

I don't remember picking up on that with Johns converter at that time. Used it from the Meridian CDP.
Doubt if the layout in mine is same as Pearse's. The 7 is a hornets nest of wiring whilst mine has plenty of air!

Where did you pick up on the Musec Pearse? I take it this is similar to the Sonicweld Diverter?
Maybe Aleg was on the ball with this option all the time
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I always had a suspicion that the Amanero was the last hurdle to good sound and hence why I already moved the Amanero USB card to where it is now as close as I can get to the PCM board, that took about 5 inches off the I2s lines at the time but I did not notice any real improvement in sound quality other than the DSD noise disappearing.

I have the JK Amanero USB board with the re-clocker and 3.3v battery supply in there under the USB card you can see in the last picture but never got it to lock music with the DAC.

I have another Amanero USB board as well as 2 Neutron Star clocks which I had planned to break into the Amanero and power off the Paul Hynes ready to implement over the winter as the final solution.

Given what I was hearing last night I am in no hurry to plug in USB and even listen to DSD given the combination of the "Very Special" software and the Mutec even with 16 44 tracks through PCM.

That Amanero twin clock upgrade might go on the back burner now for a while.
The new R2R DAC boards for the Lampizator have finally been released and by all accounts so far are a real step up over the current PCM board in the Big7, so it may be making a trip back to Poland in the new year for an upgrade. Might ask Lukasz to carry out the Amanero 2 clock mod for me given I have had the parts sitting here and I could have John's battery supply added to it as well.

The Mutec has been under development for the past year and I was following a thread on it on CA, as soon as it was ready I went for it and ordered from Germany.
I had been tempted by the Sonicweld Divertor for some time but the price was a little steep so I am glad I did not let my heart rule my head on this, given that the Mutec was about half the price of the Divertor I went with it based on a gut feeling.

Looking forward to some listening over the coming week.

Post by jkeny »

Pearse, any info on the Lampi R2R boards?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Pearse, any info on the Lampi R2R boards?
i couldnt find anything on it

wonder is it discrete or an ic, discrete has to be more tweakable, then maybe ic might be more limited or compromised?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Seems to be discrete as stated over on AudioShark http://www.audioshark.org/lampizator-18 ... age46.html
Audiophile Bill just received the Golden Gate with with the new discrete r2r PCM engine!!

Cannot find any other source of information myself on it.

Post by nige2000 »

Seems to be quite the buzz about r2r at the moment,
there's definitely something to it,
however it will still be strongly influenced by the i2s signal quality
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks, Pearse
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Hi Ken and Sharks,

I believe that the new r2r PCM implementation (based on listening last night) is a significant improvement over my original PCM engine. I experienced:

> Great vividness and much more presence
> Significantly more resolution
> More dynamic and propulsive bass

Together these bring it very close to the dsd performance
but I still need a lot more listening time to draw final conclusions. The dsd engine always had this spooky clean resolution of the finest details yet with musicality and tone to die for - this PCM engine achieves the same trick. I am so thrilled because it opens up new options regarding necessity of upsampling to dsd of which I was a proponent - I need more time in order to reach any final conclusion but either way I am *very* happy. Hats off to Lukasz.

If you don't want to be arsed faffing with a PC and upsampling, I honestly believe that you can be thrilled now with native PCM. I would not be surprised if quad upsampled and a full blown bugheaded PC would pip it though. I am sure that Native DSD will be a different kettle of fish though but I am talking either native PCM or upsampled PCM - take this with pinch of salt though since I need to confirm but in all honestly a native quad dsd recording is something to behold.
i kinda would be hoping it to be better than dsd what you think?
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: i kinda would be hoping it to be better than dsd what you think?
I'm not sure we have heard DSD at it's best i.e not PCM converted to DSD but originally recorded & played back at quad DSD.

But the number of these quad DSD recordings is so low that it's not much to get excited about except as a reference point, perhaps?
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: i kinda would be hoping it to be better than dsd what you think?
I'm not sure we have heard DSD at it's best i.e not PCM converted to DSD but originally recorded & played back at quad DSD.
did swe not hear some dsd recordings think Ken had some at some stage, they did sound marvellous
But the number of these quad DSD recordings is so low that it's not much to get excited about except as a reference point, perhaps?

is the golden gate DSD only?
dsd1796