The Lost Genius of Judee Sill - BBC Radio 4 documentary

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
mcq

The Lost Genius of Judee Sill - BBC Radio 4 documentary

Post by mcq »

This is a beautiful and deeply affecting documentary that was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 last week.  It's a very personal piece of work by presenter Ruth Barnes, a self-confessed devotee of Sill's work.  Tellingly framed by Sill's own vocal introductions to her songs, and incorporating interviews with many of the people who knew her, Barnes manages to condense Sill's remarkable and deeply tragic life story into 28 minutes.  Crucially, it ends with XTC's Andy Partridge breaking down in tears as he listens to The Kiss and having to switch it off before the end with the words, "Perfect.  Just perfect".  Hopefully this will introduce more people to this extraordinary music which demands to be heard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04g8hrd
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Re: The Lost Genius of Judee Sill - BBC Radio 4 documentary

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:This is a beautiful and deeply affecting documentary that was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 last week.  It's a very personal piece of work by presenter Ruth Barnes, a self-confessed devotee of Sill's work.  Tellingly framed by Sill's own vocal introductions to her songs, and incorporating interviews with many of the people who knew her, Barnes manages to condense Sill's remarkable and deeply tragic life story into 28 minutes.  Crucially, it ends with XTC's Andy Partridge breaking down in tears as he listens to The Kiss and having to switch it off before the end with the words, "Perfect.  Just perfect".  Hopefully this will introduce more people to this extraordinary music which demands to be heard.

Ah I'm raging I missed that!
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

cybot wrote:
mcq wrote:This is a beautiful and deeply affecting documentary that was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 last week.  It's a very personal piece of work by presenter Ruth Barnes, a self-confessed devotee of Sill's work.  Tellingly framed by Sill's own vocal introductions to her songs, and incorporating interviews with many of the people who knew her, Barnes manages to condense Sill's remarkable and deeply tragic life story into 28 minutes.  Crucially, it ends with XTC's Andy Partridge breaking down in tears as he listens to The Kiss and having to switch it off before the end with the words, "Perfect.  Just perfect".  Hopefully this will introduce more people to this extraordinary music which demands to be heard.

Just listen to it! Is is still there.
If blocked from access, use Google Chrome and install the Hola extension, you'll be able to listen to it then.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Aleg wrote:
cybot wrote:

Just listen to it! Is is still there.
If blocked from access, use Google Chrome and install the Hola extension, you'll be able to listen to it then.
I will Aleg but not with my universal device ha!
mcq

Post by mcq »

I listened to it for the first time yesterday on my iPad, Dermot, and I was struck by it.  It's really worthwhile to listen to it.  The presenter, Ruth Barnes, evidently had enough material for a longer programme but everything was so seamlessly edited and paced so well that you never felt short-changed.  The two most notable interviewees are JD Souther (the inspiration for Jesus Was A Crossmaker) and Tommy Peltier (perhaps her only friend to remain loyal to her until the very end, and quite probably the last person to see her alive).  

There's an interesting story from Souther about the time Sill woke him after a late night drinking session and played him Jesus Was A Crossmaker, coldly introduced by the words, "This one's for you".  Despite their emotionally fraught time together and the undeniable heartbreak he once caused her, Souther has always been unstinting in his love for Sill's music.  There was one interview he gave in 1997 before Sill's music had been re-issued, and the interviewer was very keen to talk about The Eagles and Jackson Browne and even Ned Doheny but Souther made a point of mentioning the importance of Sill's music:

"Judee influenced me more than any of those people as a writer, at that time. Judee Sill and Jackson. Judee was an incredibly focused writer. You should seek out those records and listen to them. They are miraculous and even more so with the passage of time, because they're bold, they're really bold. They're very specific songs with absolutely no compromise, and the musical roots of them are almost entirely this hybrid of classical and Hollywood cowboy music, movie cowboy music. It's like Bach meets the Sons of the Pioneers, and it's great stuff.  ...  Strange girl, strange singer, one of my greatest friends ever and really really potent writer. I miss her often. She's one of those that just left the set too early, like Lowell George and Belushi and a bunch of people you just wish you could wake them up and shake them and say don't do that. Don't die."

Such a nice thing to say at a time when Sill's music had been deleted for decades and almost forgotten and desperately needed an advocate.  Souther was similarly vocal in his praise when Barney Hoskyns interviewed him for his still-definitive article on Sill, The Lost Child, in 2004:

"She was light years ahead of most of us, I thought Jackson Browne was the furthest along at having learnt songwriting, but then I met Judee and thought, 'Fuck, man, she's school for all of us'".

I have heard rumours that the director Bryan Singer is producing a documentary on Sill's life and music so hopefully that will come to pass.  The very least that we can hope for is that her work remains available, unlike David Ackles' albums, for example, which remain currently - and disgracefully - unavailable.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:I listened to it for the first time yesterday on my iPad, Dermot, and I was struck by it.  It's really worthwhile to listen to it.  The presenter, Ruth Barnes, evidently had enough material for a longer programme but everything was so seamlessly edited and paced so well that you never felt short-changed.  The two most notable interviewees are JD Souther (the inspiration for Jesus Was A Crossmaker) and Tommy Peltier (perhaps her only friend to remain loyal to her until the very end, and quite probably the last person to see her alive).  

There's an interesting story from Souther about the time Sill woke him after a late night drinking session and played him Jesus Was A Crossmaker, coldly introduced by the words, "This one's for you".  Despite their emotionally fraught time together and the undeniable heartbreak he once caused her, Souther has always been unstinting in his love for Sill's music.  There was one interview he gave in 1997 before Sill's music had been re-issued, and the interviewer was very keen to talk about The Eagles and Jackson Browne and even Ned Doheny but Souther made a point of mentioning the importance of Sill's music:

"Judee influenced me more than any of those people as a writer, at that time. Judee Sill and Jackson. Judee was an incredibly focused writer. You should seek out those records and listen to them. They are miraculous and even more so with the passage of time, because they're bold, they're really bold. They're very specific songs with absolutely no compromise, and the musical roots of them are almost entirely this hybrid of classical and Hollywood cowboy music, movie cowboy music. It's like Bach meets the Sons of the Pioneers, and it's great stuff.  ...  Strange girl, strange singer, one of my greatest friends ever and really really potent writer. I miss her often. She's one of those that just left the set too early, like Lowell George and Belushi and a bunch of people you just wish you could wake them up and shake them and say don't do that. Don't die."

Such a nice thing to say at a time when Sill's music had been deleted for decades and almost forgotten and desperately needed an advocate.  Souther was similarly vocal in his praise when Barney Hoskyns interviewed him for his still-definitive article on Sill, The Lost Child, in 2004:

"She was light years ahead of most of us, I thought Jackson Browne was the furthest along at having learnt songwriting, but then I met Judee and thought, 'Fuck, man, she's school for all of us'".

I have heard rumours that the director Bryan Singer is producing a documentary on Sill's life and music so hopefully that will come to pass.  The very least that we can hope for is that her work remains available, unlike David Ackles' albums, for example, which remain currently - and disgracefully - unavailable.
Lovely write up Paul.....