Brass

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: Brass

Post by sima66 »

Brass ears will be the best, but they might be to heavy for some heads!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
cybot

Post by cybot »

sima66 wrote:Brass ears will be the best, but they might be to heavy for some heads!
Lol :)
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:theses are what you need tony

about 10 sets should take you to audio heaven seriously :)
I tried the Esorbs unfortunately they needed to be stacked 20 stories high to match the weight of the brass.
cybot wrote:
sima66 wrote:Brass ears will be the best, but they might be to heavy for some heads!
This post is conclusive proof Dermot is carefully watching the CA forum constantly.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cybot

Post by cybot »

tony wrote:
nige2000 wrote:theses are what you need tony

about 10 sets should take you to audio heaven seriously :)
I tried the Esorbs unfortunately they needed to be stacked 20 stories high to match the weight of the brass.
cybot wrote:
This post is conclusive proof Dermot is carefully watching the CA forum constantly.
You're clutching at straws Tony. Brass one's :)
rickmcinnis

Reviving the Brass discussion

Post by rickmcinnis »

Just ordered a block of brass: a cube approx 7.5 cm.

Like the idea of the weight - hope it will actually cool the CPU.

Getting ready to power the memory and figure this will be lots easier to work around than a conventional heatsink.

Are those who have tried this depending solely upon the weight of the block or using some kind of clamp?

Hope they send me a good flat cut. But then the top of the CPU is not very flat either. Was it here where I saw the linked article where folks are going to the trouble of making their CPU as flat as possible for optimum heat transfer?

Living in the is southern US I suspect I will need a fan blowing upon the block and the CPU, especially in the coming summer months.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
tony

Post by tony »

Yes Rick weight keeps it in place. Use some glue if worried. You may have to shape it a bit to get it to sit flat.I have streacom case hence cover for heat pipes is flat but the 4 screws holding it interfered with the fit. Angle grinder took the required bits off.
Can't beat the brass!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well,

Got the brass installed.

Was worried about keeping the temp in the proper range. It runs a couple of degrees warmer.

This is a substantial block of metal! I did not realize how big a 7.5 cms cube would be - luckily my board has nothing in the way. I might have had to take it to the machine shop, otherwise. Too expensive to order again! I paid $76.00 for this chunk including freight. Not much different from the cost of a typical good heatsink.

Initial impression was that it might be too damped. As I have experienced many times in the past one can mistake good high frequency reproduction as dull when extraneous junk is no longer there. After a short while it became apparent this works very well. All that one wants to be there is there and lots that you do not want is eliminated.

Once one lives with this, even for a few hours, you know you cannot NOT live with it.

Thanks for another seemingly impossibly wacky idea that is actually THE WAY to do it.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

rickmcinnis wrote:Well,

Got the brass installed.

Was worried about keeping the temp in the proper range. It runs a couple of degrees warmer.

This is a substantial block of metal! I did not realize how big a 7.5 cms cube would be - luckily my board has nothing in the way. I might have had to take it to the machine shop, otherwise. Too expensive to order again! I paid $76.00 for this chunk including freight. Not much different from the cost of a typical good heatsink.

Initial impression was that it might be too damped. As I have experienced many times in the past one can mistake good high frequency reproduction as dull when extraneous junk is no longer there. After a short while it became apparent this works very well. All that one wants to be there is there and lots that you do not want is eliminated.

Once one lives with this, even for a few hours, you know you cannot NOT live with it.

Thanks for another seemingly impossibly wacky idea that is actually THE WAY to do it.
pictures or it didn't happen.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Will take the office camera home tonight.

Simplicity itself - just a big cube atop the processor!

Holds itself in place just fine - used plenty of that silver paste.

My board is laying down within my wooden box - used strips of balsa underneath the board to steady. No screws anywhere - just gravity.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I still think that is a nonsense...........maybe until I actually try?!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS