Brass

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Brass

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote: For EMI isolation and to also protect against the IC's giving off emissions themselves. You'll see plenty of this type of metal canned or sheilded versions for military & aerospace applications.
Sure & a brass block on a CPU might just isolate it from emitting EMI, also. Just saying!
If these devices are operating in hazardous enviroments where they might get kicked around then yeah isolation or bracing etc can be applied to the devices/pcbs to alleviate mechanical problems.
Well for clocks, it doesn't need to be kicked around for a measurable effect to be caused at it's output
Some Optics on the other hand are prone to vibration: lasers, inferometers and fibre optic cabling but only at frequencies in the THz range.
I'm not sure if you are talking about the Triboelectric effect or not but any time two different materials are rubbed together (as can be caused by vibrations) a small electric charge is generated within both materials - a static charge. I could see this having an effect on small signal carrying devices, cables etc.

Again, the audibility of such effects in audio circuits is not something I'm attesting to, just pointing out that the possible underlying mechanisms are well known.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Used a grinder/sharpener to reduce the four corners of my brass foo to allow it sit flush
on the cpu cover. Put a small lump of granite on top also (sure why not).
Powered up and it all still works. With the new version of MQn 8.06avx2 and I think the Lampizator is now well
run in I am very happy with the sound. Just enjoying listening to music these days so not removing/putting back in
etc. That can wait for another day.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Sorry Tony, but I gotta call it!!!! No way are you leaving that alone for more than a couple of days.....
tony wrote:Just enjoying listening to music these days so not removing/putting back in

Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Gotta get a lump of brass for testing
I will be ecstatic if it has any positive effect what so ever
I was skeptical about the 3m 5100s sheets but in certain spots a defined improvement

May be we need a mythbusters thread
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: May be we need a mythbusters thread
Good idea, Nige!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:Sorry Tony, but I gotta call it!!!! No way are you leaving that alone for more than a couple of days.....
tony wrote:Just enjoying listening to music these days so not removing/putting back in

Took me a few days to figure this one out! I am assuming it is aimed at my seemingly restless nature in tweaking but tbh Fran I am
in the tuppence hapenny place compared to Nigel and Pearse. Sure it has taken me over a year to do the pico bit.
Photo is very PFMish in style very unlike your usual high quality shots. Surely a brass thread could have illicted a more flattering photo?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ah, I was only messing!!!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:Ah, I was only messing!!!Fran
That may be so Fran but tweaks involving brass are no laughing matter!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

theses are what you need tony

about 10 sets should take you to audio heaven seriously :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cybot

Post by cybot »

nige2000 wrote:theses are what you need tony

about 10 sets should take you to audio heaven seriously :)
Talk about having a 'brass' neck lol!