Market Research

jkeny

Re: Market Research

Post by jkeny »

Ken Moreland wrote:FIP is Fluorescent Indicator Panel, the sort of display you might see on a CD player indicating track number and time etc. I looked up Wikipedia and they hadn't heard of it either.
Right, thanks
Hugo is portable in that it's a headphone amp as well so off you go on your longhaul flight with your laptop/headphones, but personally I wouldn't be bothered. I think portability is more important to youngsters and they aren't much interested in music quality so you're targetting the old goat market. Polished wood, heavy weight, gold connectors ,relatively large size and maybe a brass logo.

KM
Yes, Ken, that's what I'm trying to understand - this market segment's mindset - you seem to have nailed it :)
Maybe a classical retro look would appeal? But how classical & how retro?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Simple Classic timeless elegance

No 90 deg corners, unbox like, shiny and weighty
did I mention shiny
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jkeny wrote:Thanks, Nige
I'm of the same opinion as you - I prefer form to follow function but I also appreciate good design.
However good design requires creativity & money.
The design genius, Jonathan Ive is a large part of Apple's success as a fashion device & to some extent has raised the bar for other product manufacturers because the man in the high street uses his iphone styling & finish as the common measure for product design.

I have made no real effort in the Ciunas or previous boxes towards considering fashion design aspects - form simply followed function - I don't really consider the fashion audio business although I do look at the likes of the Devialet & appreciate it's design. I'm aware that the looks can put people off but hoped that once heard, the sound would overcome this (once the looks were bearably neutral). I know it's size allowed me to get away with this, to some extent, as it was small enough to be hidden behind other equipment so it's aesthetics didn't matter so much. In a way this might be considered a WAV factor i.e it is small enough to be hidden :)

So now I'm looking at maybe coming out of the closet with a nod towards addressing some of these aspects & thinking about an enclosure facelift or redesign of the package.

Any thoughts?
I had your MK3 and replaced with Sonicweld Diverter.
It was nothings wrong with the looks of MK3, but SonicWeld it's a really piece of art. The thing is that both are in the same place and not visible in my system!
Again, even if they were visible and I have to chose, I will choose the best sounding one.

I would go with al aluminium box. I like more the sound of metal. The wooden box will soften the highs (different wood - different "flavour"). It might be a good or bad thing for somebody, but it will be more system dependent.
I definitely recommend to listen to the sound of the different boxes before making any decisions! I will treat the box like "fine tuning".
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:Simple Classic timeless elegance
Yea but can you put a picture to this definition?
did I mention shiny
So are you talking brushed steel, chrome or shiny gorilla glass ala mobile phones?

Oh, btw, I saw your poll thread - pity I didn't check this out before opening my gob :) I don't think I can now include a poll on this thread Maybe I'll start a poll thread?
Last edited by jkeny on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: I had your MK3 and replaced with Sonicweld Diverter.
It was nothings wrong with the looks of MK3, but SonicWeld it's a really piece of art. The thing is that both are in the same place and not visible in my system!
Again, even if they were visible and I have to chose, I will choose the best sounding one.
Yep, that's my thinking too!
I would go with al aluminium box. I like more the sound of metal. The wooden box will soften the highs (different wood - different "flavour"). It might be a good or bad thing for somebody, but it will be more system dependent.
I definitely recommend to listen to the sound of the different boxes before making any decisions! I will treat the box like "fine tuning".
Thanks for chipping in. I'm not thinking of a full wooden box, just maybe wood panels.
I doubt I would be going the route of the sonicweld either - a full aluminium block machined into a product but I can see the attraction of such.
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Apologies if I just post random images that strike me as unusual but I came across these:

www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Simple Classic timeless elegance
Yea but can you put a picture to this definition?
did I mention shiny
So are you talking brushed steel, chrome or shiny gorilla glass ala mobile phones?

Oh, btw, I saw your poll thread - pity I didn't check this out before opening my gob :) I don't think I can now include a poll on this thread Maybe I'll start a poll thread?
Will have a quick look later for designs

A simpler case to the sonic weld would be sufficient with a simple logo nothing else visible at the front

Dunno if a poll is gonna help much
Cause what people say and do are two different things

the outcome will say sq then price
the market could likely say different

I'd imagine 90 percent of the market isn't guys like Adam or me or you that would pretty much sacrifice other aspects for sound quality

They likely just buy it plug it in if it sounds good and looks good their happy
Not go mad a-b testing like us clowns

Not that I suggest lowering sq of course
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Here's a few I like ;

i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Some thoughts, use of Irish wood is a really nice idea and pics of enclosures with wood facias above are good.

Re: logo Ear is good, green lettering is good but script used is bad,bad, bad. Change it for something more classy!!
Modest

Post by Modest »

it's not actual DAC ,but the case is kick ass looking :)
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables