Recent Purchases

Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:Image

Arrived today from MDT. Not available in US until late February, according to Amazon. Gould, teamed with Jean Martinon, was involved with Chicago for only 4 years until Martinon was ignorantly forced out by caustic critics. His programs were innovative, sometimes "light" music would be paired with a larger "serious" work or one of his own compositions, that were often inspired by jazz and popular song. Most, if not all, of these recordings have never appeared on commercial CD until now. Highlights: the wonderful Rimsky Kosakov "Antar" Symphony in so fine a performance you wonder why it is rarely heard; Ives Symphony #1, a fine Copland "Dance Symphony", a charming disc of Tchaikovsky waltzes and a fine Nielson 2nd Symphony and Clarinet Concerto with Benny Goodman.

A great bargain from the UK too, got it with airmail postage included for less than Amazon's price w/o shipping!
A very interesting set Don, thanks for bringing it to my attention. As we have discussed previously the set contains the infamous recording of Nielsen's Clarinet Concerto with Benny Goodman. Any performances of Nielsen's music are worth listening to in my book.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

These wonderful additions to my modest library arrived last week:

I don't know why I waited so long to buy this CD:
Seán

Post by Seán »

Another two very fine recordings made their way into my collection today:

james

Post by james »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Comp ... asterworks

Got this for Christmas .. great value at less than 1-euro per CD.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gosh James you have really hit the jackpot with that box set, well done and enjoy.
CD 1-5: The 9 Symphonies - Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich/David Zinman
CD 6-7: Ouvertures - Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich/David Zinman
CD 8: The Creatures of Prometheus Op.43 (Ballet music) - Lithuanian Chamber Philharmonic/Karl Anton Rickenbacher
CD 9: Orchestral, Piano, Flute und Violin works
CD 10-12: The 5 Piano Concertos - Yefim Bronfman/Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich/David Zinman
CD 13: Violin Concerto Op.61 + The 2 Violin Romances Op.40+50 - Christian Tetzlaff/Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich/David Zinman
CD 14: Triple Concerto Op.56; Septet Op.20 - Yefim Bronfman/Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich/David Zinman
CD 15-18: The 10 Violin Sonatas - Pinchas Zukerman/George Neikrug
CD 19-20: The 5 Cello Sonatas + Variations - Anner Bylsma/Jos van Immerseel
CD 21-25: The 12 Piano Trios - Seraphin Trio
CD 26: The String Trios Op.3 and Op.8 - L'Archibudelli
CD 27: The String Trios Op.9,1-3 - Kandinsky String Trio
CD 28: Piano Quartet Op.16; Piano Quintet Op.16 - Emanuel Ax/Isaac Stern/ Jaime Lardo/YoYo Ma/Ensemble Wien-Berlin
CD 29: Chamber music for Strings and Wind - L'Archibudelli
CD 30: Octet Op.103 / Clarinet Sextet Op.71 / March for Winds - Mozzafiato
CD 31-39: The 16 String Quartets - Alexander String Quartet
CD 40-50: The 32 Piano Sonatas - Yukio Yokoyama, Charles Rosen, Vladimir Horowitz, Justus Frantz, Gerhard Oppitz, Robert Casadesus
CD 51: The Bagatelles for Piano Solo - Yukio Yokoyama
CD 52: The Variations for Piano Solo - Yukio Yokoyama
CD 53: Diabelli Variations + 4 Piano pieces WoO - Olli Mustonen
CD 54: Songs of the British Isles - Elaine Woods/Carolyn Watkinson/Richard Salter/Helmut Deutsch
CD 55: Christ on the Mount of Olives Op.85 - Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy
CD 56: Mass in C Op.86 - Tokyo Oratorio Society/Ensemble of Tokyo/Wolfdieter Maurer
CD 57: Missa Solemnis Op.123 - Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich/David Zinman
CD 58: Choral Works - Regine Crespin/New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Thomas Schippers,Ambrosian Opera Chorus/London Symphony Orchestra/Tilson Thomas Martina Arroyo/Justine Diaz/Camerata Singers
CD 59-60: Fidelio Op.72 - Gewandhaus Orchestra Leipzig/Kurt Masur
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I find box sets very difficult to resist, despite the fact that I'll NEVER get to listen to all of them. Hmmm.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
james

Post by james »

Classical music seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper with the typical box set costing 1-euro per CD. Here is the latest set I noticed ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Offic ... ds=karajan

which is fantastic value if you like Karajan ..

I dont know how classical musicians can make a living from record sales anymore

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:33 pm
Seán wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:59 pm
fergus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:40 pm Haydn's early Symphonies played under the baton of Goodman
I do like Goodman and the Handover Band's treatment of Haydn's symphonies, that said I don't have very many of them. Dave loved them.
I have everything that Goodman recorded in the Haydn Symphonies. They are my go to in the Haydan Symphonies.

Fergus you inspire me!

I was in town an hour ago. I went in to Tower Records and for the first time in years I actually bought two CDs in Tower.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:53 pm
I was in town an hour ago. I went in to Tower Records and for the first time in years I actually bought two CDs in Tower.

Do let me know how you get on with them Seán.
You are not obliged to like them!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra