Recent Purchases

Ciaran

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Ciaran »

Diapason wrote:I wouldn't mind a few more of those Suzuki boxes, though.
I got Cantatas Box 2 and 3 from MDT when they came out, but they're described as a limited edition and MDT appears to have run out of all the boxes, except on of the Mass, Passions and Oratorios. Cantata boxes are still on Amazon, at a higher price.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Arse!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:I am an agnostic and I am trying (hard) "to get into" religious music, so far it's easy to listen to Haydn & Bach for short periods of time.
I offered a piece of advice before Seán, and it was something along the lines of not thinking of or listening to it as "Religious" music, but just as "Music". I also do not have a shred of religion in my make up but I listen to vast amounte of "Religious" music....it can be just so beautiful and again one has to remember the historical context in which the Masters wrote this stuff. Close your eyes and let it wash over your soul....if you have one!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:....I wouldn't mind a few more of those Suzuki boxes, though.
I just recently finished listening to the last disc from the entire 4 box collection Simon and the same high standard prevails throughout....a really wonderful collection!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:I am an agnostic and I am trying (hard) "to get into" religious music, so far it's easy to listen to Haydn & Bach for short periods of time.
I offered a piece of advice before Seán, and it was something along the lines of not thinking of or listening to it as "Religious" music, but just as "Music". I also do not have a shred of religion in my make up but I listen to vast amounte of "Religious" music....it can be just so beautiful and again one has to remember the historical context in which the Masters wrote this stuff.
Indeed you did Fergus and as a result I do listen to "Religious" music, it is very good advice indeed.

Close your eyes and let it wash over your soul....if you have one!
Don't ever doubt it lad.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Close your eyes and let it wash over your soul....if you have one!
Don't ever doubt it lad.
That's right....you do have one....I remember now....it is reserved for your Jazz moments!!
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:
I offered a piece of advice before Seán, and it was something along the lines of not thinking of or listening to it as "Religious" music, but just as "Music". I also do not have a shred of religion in my make up but I listen to vast amounte of "Religious" music....it can be just so beautiful and again one has to remember the historical context in which the Masters wrote this stuff. Close your eyes and let it wash over your soul....if you have one!
I was told to imagine every artist today was told they were only allowed to take photogrpahs (or make sculptures or knit whatever) from now on....

there would be a vast panolpy of beautiful things created regardless of the artists being restricted to a particular medium

thus it is perfectly reasonable to regard "religious music" as just "music". For so long it was the only viable outlet for professional composers that even when the restrictions were lifted, the skill sets were so deeply ingrained they continued to be used even while others moved on to secular themes
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: Image
Ahh.....Charpentier and the Concert of Viols.....I sincerely hope that one is as good as the combination suggests.....please report as soon as you can!!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »