Recent Purchases

Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Pepe recommended this recently in my Sibelius Violin Concerto thread and when Pepe recommends something one usually eventually buys it!

Oh lovely Fergus, enjoy.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Cheers Seán. It looks good doesn't it? I like Vengerov.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have and like Beethoven Symphonies 1-8 under the direction of Hickox so, being a completist, I eventually finish off with No. 9.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

I have and like Beethoven Symphonies 1-8 under the direction of Hickox so, being a completist, I eventually finish off with No. 9.
Good for you Fergus. I must say that I like what I have. From the Northern Sinfonia.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

This has gotten some good reviews. I have heard many of these performances over the years and always found them excellent. I am happy to see Martinon getting some attention as he has a great recorded legacy.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:Image

This has gotten some good reviews. I have heard many of these performances over the years and always found them excellent. I am happy to see Martinon getting some attention as he has a great recorded legacy.
He is (forever) on my radar and languishing in many an amazon basket too I'm afraid.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I have a very strong desire to get more CDs of recordings of Mozart's music so I have started with this lot::

Harnoncourt conducting Mozart's Requiem:

Jos van Immerseel's complete set of Mozart recordings on Zig-Zag

Shlomo Mintz's recordings of the Violin Concertos, etc:

and last but by no means least Pepe's loves this set so much that I just had to get a copy for myself:
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Jos van Immerseel's complete set of Mozart recordings on Zig-Zag

I am very interested to read what you think of that set Seán. Jos van Immerseel is not to everyone's liking but I like what he does.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: Jos van Immerseel's complete set of Mozart recordings on Zig-Zag

I am very interested to read what you think of that set Seán. Jos van Immerseel is not to everyone's liking but I like what he does.
I have steadfastly opposed buying his Beethoven cycle because I haven't enjoyed what I've heard of it, but I thought that this set of CDs might be too good to pass up.
I have just opened the box and I am currently listening to the 29th (of course) and will post my impressions later.
Initial thoughts with the first movement: what's the hurry? And the second drags a wee bit......