Gale 401a restoration

Terry

Gale 401a restoration

Post by Terry »

Thanks Dermot... glad you're enjoying the journey. A few trembly moments but it's worth it. The Gales were exceptional way back then (70's) and would rate highly in modern company I suspect. They challenged Isobariks and the like.

Coming back to the rebuild. Using a circle template cut from card (same diameter as interior of surround), I glued the surrounds to the cones and let them dry thoroughly. The template is positioned dead centre on the cone and the glue applied just outside that, around the rim. One of the images shows an inverted glass weighting down the surround on the cone as it dried. Large cereal bowls were used to do the same with the bass units.

Next was to glue the surrounds to the chassis. The crucial thing here was to make sure they were dead centre and avoid any rubbing of the voice coil. These bass drivers are known to do quite a bit of travelling! The surround kit came with a set of paper shims which require removal of the dust cap (surgery) and inserting them around the vc, ensuring a gap. I bottled on this one. I glued the surround to the rim of the chassis (glue on chassis and surround), and with four fingers gently depressed the cone to find centre with no rubbing. They were then left to dry thoroughly. All six drivers bonded perfectly and with none of the dreaded rubbing! I should add that it's not necessary to weight down the surrounds to the chassis. The outer edge of the foams should not be forced or restricted in any direction. They need to find centre. A gentle rub of a thumb is enough to smooth contact between surround and chassis. Again, leave to dry for a few hours, overnight preferably.

With that done I masked up the cones and surrounds and sprayed the chassis fronts satin black. Don't want bare metal catching light through the acoustic cloth.

And so to test! I wired each driver individually to the crossover and gave Eric Clapton's 'They call me the breeze' a spin. Mercifully all was good. Each driver was doing what it should. Phew! Time to reassemble and hear what everything sounded like together.

Inserted the crossovers, not forgetting the gaskets between xo and rear baffle. Replaced the fibre glass, threading the cables to the front and out the relevant port. Placed the individual speaker gaskets and soldered the drivers/cable ends. Screwed everything home but not too tight in case all had to come asunder!

Next concern was what amp to use? I'd read that the Gales, with the bass units wired in parallel, are notoriously difficult to drive and are responsible for the premature death of many an amp. I also read that one way of knowing your amp may be up to the job is to lift it! If it's heavy enough (transformer), there's a strong chance it just might work. Well my Croft weighs a ton. So fingers crossed!

Joy of Joys! Cue Cheshire Cat grin. Gale force!!! Unbelievable stuff. Played Cash American IV - 'Personal Jesus' and 'The Man Comes Around'. Played them ten times, twenty times. Emptied the house! Tight, deep, deep, tuneful bass, no boominess. Air, space, atmosphere. BIG soundstage. Depth.

So, time to tighten up those screws (with a drop of varnish on the threads). Then off to the beauty parlour for the speaker cloth and chrome ends.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Terry on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Sligolad

Re: Gale 401a restoration

Post by Sligolad »

Excellent restoration work Terry, they must be good to replace those Sonus Fabers which sounded excellent when I last heard them.
I see a PV1 on the floor....thought you had loads of bass in those Sonus Fabers when I heard them.

Post by Terry »

Thanks Pearse. Most satisfying thing I've done in ages! A very different experience to the Sonus Fabers. PV1 isn't in use and will be resuming home cinema duties this weekend.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
JAW

Post by JAW »

Delighted for you Terry and well done. I was holding back on my impression of the sound so that I didn't taint yours. I agree with everything you say about them. They seem to have an ease about them. Anything I've thrown at them they've handled with aplomb. There's a natualness to the midrange, and they've been compared to Quads in that regard, although they do enjoy been driven hard and go to ear bleeding levels.
You're right about the amp eating. The two woofers are 4 ohm units in parallel, so impedance drops to 2 ohms and less. I use mine with an old Naim 250 or Meridian 506, both have good current delivery.
Anyway, it's time to sit back, enjoy the music and bask in the knowledge that you've brought a pair of iconic speakers back to life. Like me, I'm sure that you'll agree that it was well worth the effort.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Wow! I'll have to back and read the whole lot again. Stunning results! Well done.......
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Enjoyed this immensely! Let me know if you need anyone to store those SFs for you... :)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Terry

Post by Terry »

Thanks for all the support lads. Really enjoyed doing the work and sharing with you. I did the tighten up this evening and put on the front plates ready for acoustic cloth and chrome caps tomorrow. More on that then.

The SF Auditor M's are here to stay Simon! They are very special. But now that I have a thrilling alternative, you are more than welcome to borrow them if you'd like to give them an airing.

One way or the other we should have a seventies night to mark the resurrection!

T
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well done Terry, great to see stuff coming back to life again..... nice job too by the way!!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Terry

Gale 401a restoration

Post by Terry »

Thanks Adrian.

The final furlong...

Baffle trims on, time to get dressed! Cut acoustic cloth to size (cut it a bit larger for trimming when stretched). Secured at rear by vinyl strips in grooves and then stapled all round the edges with even tension throughout. Then the end caps!

I went to a metal workshop to see what they made of the rust. They put one on a belt sander and quickly got down to bare metal. Sadly it was deeply pitted and would show through any rechroming. Grinding, welding split corners, filling, polishing and ultimately, chroming would be very expensive.

I heard of a chap in Australia who considered a chrome vinyl wrap - as with bling cars etc. Brought a cap to a place in Harold's Cross who do this sort of thing. He said the surface would have to be made very smooth and the split corners (I had two) would need to be repaired. Was going to cost north of €250. No thanks.

What to do? Got back in touch with David Smith at Vintage Gale and pleaded my case... he doesn't do spare parts. Managed to cajole a couple of less than perfect caps. A good polish with 'Autosol' and up they came. Still a few character marks but at thirty five years that's to be expected. They look wonderful.

Time for a glass of vino!ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Terry on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

That's a beautiful restore - and very satisfying I imagine.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try