Gale 401a restoration

Diapason

Re: Gale 401a restoration

Post by Diapason »

They look fantastic, great work!

(Re: the SFs, what I'd really like to do is compare my much older Signums some time, but that's for another thread...)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Terry

Post by Terry »

Fran wrote:That's a beautiful restore - and very satisfying I imagine.

Fran
Satisfying is the word Fran and thanks for the compliment Simon. It's remarkable how timeless the design has proven to be - classic formula of less is more... simple lines, elegant proportions, stunning contrast of materials. John Kenny take note!

Curious that the speakers, with their considerable heft (33 cm W x 27 cm D x 60.5 cm L. Weight: 51 lbs.) were originally touted as 'bookshelf' designs. American shelves methinks.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mighty work; well done Sir!!

Are they a good match with the Linn TT being of around the same vintage maybe?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Terry

Post by Terry »

fergus wrote:Mighty work; well done Sir!!

Are they a good match with the Linn TT being of around the same vintage maybe?
Cheers Fergus! Serial number 69645 would put my TT at mid 1987. The Gales are 401a MkII's - a second fuse to protect the tweeter (MkI had only one for the mid), so late 70's I guess. They're certainly getting along very well and share the same taste in music.

I'd love to get hold of a big old amp from back then. Something like a Sansui AU 11000 or similar. Would suit the speakers perfectly.

Some interesting links on Gale history - the first about the very colourful Ira Gale.

Terry

http://0339436.netsolhost.com/WordPress/ira-gale-story/
http://www.vintagegale.com/history.php
http://0339436.netsolhost.com/WordPress/gs401-speaker/
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Amazing restore, well done my friend. They look very nice on the SF stands too. Enjoy.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Rocker wrote:Amazing restore, well done my friend. They look very nice on the SF stands too. Enjoy.
Much appreciated Rocker. The SF stands work well with the Gales - perfect height and a little pitch back. The original Gale stands looked great but were very lightweight and unstable. These are rock solid.

T

PS: "Beware a thin Chef". My eldest son is 6'3", weighs 90kg and is a very fine chef. See here... https://mobile.twitter.com/CuanGreene
Derek

Post by Derek »

Well done Terry they really do look the business
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Derek wrote:Well done Terry they really do look the business
Cheers Derek. Really enjoying them.
Dublinia123

Post by Dublinia123 »

Hi Terry,

Nice job on the Gales.

What is particularly satisfying is to see that there's more than 1 pair have now been restored in Ireland.

I'm the guy in Dublin who did the restore based on Mr Tibbs's initial job. My restoration process follows on from his - pages 23 onwards.

I have them back in service for more than nine months now.

Still loving them and hoping they will provide many, many more years enjoyment for both me and my two girls.

Well done - excellent job.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Dublinia123 wrote:My restoration process follows on from his - pages 23 onwards.

I have them back in service for more than nine months now.

Still loving them and hoping they will provide many, many more years enjoyment for both me and my two girls.

Well done - excellent job.
Great! Must have a look at that. What amp(s) are you using with them?

T