Gale 401a restoration

tony

Re: Gale 401a restoration

Post by tony »

Kept and eye on this thread and as others have commented great work Terry. Fantastic restore, they look really impressive.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Terry

Gale 401a restoration

Post by Terry »

Glad you enjoyed it Tony. Am on the lookout for an amp right now. Plan on keeping the Gales well away from the SF's... jealous types! Seriously though, they need a bit of room to flex and I have a great studio space (4 x 6m). Heart says retro - along the lines of vintage Accuphase... refined but lots of drive @ 150+wpc/8ohms. Open to suggestions.

TImage
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Dublinia123

Post by Dublinia123 »

Terry wrote:

Great! Must have a look at that. What amp(s) are you using with them?

T
I'm using Naim - a 12S pre and NAP160. Bought this set up along with the Gales way way back and its great to have them singing again.
JAW

Post by JAW »

I was using a very old chrome bumpered Naim 250, (which will be going back to Naim for repair, damage unrelated to Gales!). I also use them with a Meridian 556. They sound better with the Naim, they seem to breath a little more and offer a more open sound stage. I don't think that they sound great at low volume levels, but at higher levels they really open up.
Dublinia123

Post by Dublinia123 »

JAW wrote: I don't think that they sound great at low volume levels, but at higher levels they really open up.
I agree about the volume levels.

I do however have a slightly different take on it. I tend to describe suitable volume levels as being "realistic" of a live session, concert, gig or whatever.

Just such a shame that family members and neighbours don't appear to share my definition of "realistic". :(
Terry

Post by Terry »

I see Mr Tibbs over on PFM is using naim kit too. His Gales look fab.
ImageImage

Your project worked out well 'Dublinia'. You should post a few snaps here for the lads to see. Well done with the xo. You got there in the end!

T
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Terry

Gale 401a restoration

Post by Terry »

Big thanks to Paul 'Dublinia' for offering to stage a Gale GS401a bake off. His speakers feature a reworked crossover with a number of parts replaced. Mine are as found - original but the electrolytic caps may have drifted out of spec and I have been strongly advised to replace the resistors (prone to corrosion). I'm delighted with how they sound but......you know how it is!

It'll be a rare thing to have two sets of these iconic speakers in one room. A long time since the last I suspect. The Ranelagh and Foxrock Gale Chapters will let you know how we get on.

T
Terry

Post by Terry »

"I'd be very interested in what you think of the replica stands compared to the stands you are currently using (which look to be the exact opposite in design).

Mr Tibbs" from Pinkfishmedia.

Indeed. I had asked David at 'Vintagegale' to confirm a measurement from floor to the underside of the speaker (which he did @ 50 cm). The Sonus Faber stands are a good 12 cm taller and like the Gale stands have a 5 degree tilt. I rigged up a couple of temporary stands (ancient wall paper printing rollers as it happens!). This got the speakers down to the right height ahead of the new stands arrival. Tweeters are now fractionally below ear level from listening position. The Sonus Fabers are very firmly 'planted', have adjustable spikes and are stone dead with no resonance whatsoever.

Looking at the many images of the Gale stands on line (original and replica), I was never expecting anything as monolithic as the SFs. The tube structure and form is always going to flex to some degree.

Well, they arrived this morning. First impressions (to behold) were very, very good. Beautifully finished and... just plain beautiful! A quick tighten up of the four bolts on each, out with the wall paper rollers and in with the chromed lovelies. The visual effect is staggering! So complete. Bravo Jon Bannenberg!

And how do they sound? Tight, rhythmical, musical. Nothing missing, nothing overblown. My take on it is that, with only two strong, narrow tubes running down to floor, the energy has nowhere to go but out into the room.

Paul is coming over next Friday with his xo reworked Gales. I'll be tricking around with my set up in the meantime.

Back then.

T
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

They look lovely Terry, lovely and original!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

That's ma Boy!!!!!!!!!!

You are really in the swing of things now!!

I love the look of the Accuphase, with de wooden surround and analogue power meters......however can it be obtain in good condition?

For that vintage, I would be thinking KT 66 valves ( sound rather splendid I dare say), or even EL34, there was a very nice Luxman sq38 for sale recently at a good price, or even more recent a ATM2 Airtight.....all of which are cracking amps.

The Accuphase pokes great, but can it be got in excellent condition?
Let the Good Times Roll...................