AUDIO PC: THE USB CARD

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: AUDIO PC: THE USB CARD

Post by Sligolad »

tony wrote: Ok looks like 29th is the day. Hynes has arrived?? + OCX0 board looks like an early start to test all that stuff. Nigel is 29th ok for you?
BTW anybody else interested in hearing this stuff etc just let me know you are coming
Been tracking the Hynes for a week from a very remote island off Scotland, currently in Dublin so should finally arrive next week after just over six months since I ordered!!
The Mobo OCXO should be a quick swap for myself or Nige if he has a quick connect setup on his Mobo.
I have a spare PPA TCXO if you want to take a chance on desoldering your clock off your MSI board and soldering in a connector?

Post by tony »

Sligolad wrote:
tony wrote: Ok looks like 29th is the day. Hynes has arrived?? + OCX0 board looks like an early start to test all that stuff. Nigel is 29th ok for you?
BTW anybody else interested in hearing this stuff etc just let me know you are coming
Been tracking the Hynes for a week from a very remote island off Scotland, currently in Dublin so should finally arrive next week after just over six months since I ordered!!
The Mobo OCXO should be a quick swap for myself or Nige if he has a quick connect setup on his Mobo.
I have a spare PPA TCXO if you want to take a chance on desoldering your clock off your MSI board and soldering in a connector?
Hynes has been a quest it will be very interesting to see if the pursuit was worth the effort.
Janey mac not sure on that tcxo thing bring it sure will have a look anyway. It might bring improvements if I just solder it to the case!
I think if I go there it will be with a fresh spare MSI board. The stress of it all!!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Great, Tony, I'd be interested in coming along on 29th
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Good John see you then. Will suggest starting early afternoon to whatever finish time. If any distance traveller wants to start earlier fine with me. ( Sure if you start first thing in the morning no daily tasks can be assigned!)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:I meant to ask earlier - all of these cards are pci-e, yet the MB you recommended does not look like it has the correct slot.

Am I missing something?

I know I should try it. I bought the card you recommended to make the mods I just can't seem to figure out how to do it.

The JCat card costs more than I want to spend and the PP card seems a little too cottage industry.

I like the fact that the JCat card has the drivers built in.
better move here

yea ppa and JCat all use same family of drivers so driver installs are not required
though they preform better with

pcie 1x works fin in pcie 8x
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Yes, good time to review your instructions and see if I can figure it out, finally.

Are these clocks you are using general purpose clocks like you can get at MOUSER or DIGIKEY or something audio specific?
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

What is that you are using for USB cable? That looks ludicrously overly large. I have to surmise you are using something the size of a muscular forearm for speaker cable.

Seems with the ease of removing these cards why not solder direct and eliminate that tenuous USB connector's connection? Would you be concerned with wearing out the MB slot?

AS I look through I will bother you again, and again ...
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:Would this work?
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/3/AST3TQ-272623.pdf
http://www.digikey.ie/product-detail/en ... 12046-1-ND

usb cable is diy

similar method as this http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

signal wire is signal wire :)
usb signals are important

this method is highly recommended
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000 wrote:ok this is based on a silverstone EC01-P
because its simple less is more etc etc
and the siliverstones well regarded over at xxhighend
its better than the rear mobo port oob thats always a good start!

right theres 3 pins on this pcie slot that need to be covered/taped up,
believe it or not theres still noise on my pc apparently as it wasn't enough to power the new clock with a lifepo4 (which did provide the vast majority of the sq lift) but there was extra benefit of powering the usb chip from the lifepo4 too,
and ill take it all thanks very much
What does the line to the right of the XO signify?

What do you mean by the noise comment? Did you mean you need to use two batteries - one for the clock and another for the USB chip? Or what?

Thanks.