Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
My interest in this would be trying to close the gap between Paul Hynes supply and diy batter solution.
how much of a gap sq difference are you assuming between diy lifepo4 and ph supply?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:how much of a gap sq difference are you assuming between diy lifepo4 and ph supply?
I could do a PFM type reply and just ask you the same question!

Just in case Pearse reads this 40% difference Nod Nod Wink Wink.
Seriously as stated above the comparison was too ad hoc to form a definitive view. Pearse's sounded better but as we outlined above until we come back and go again with one pc it is conjecture as there were other variables.

I would guess at this level any big leaps will be hard to make without dropping lots of cash. For example would PH regulators bridge the gap? If so one is down 35% of the cost of the PH unit and when you add the tx cost and build and case you are getting closer to PH territory but still ending up with a diy box full of batteries etc etc
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

tony wrote:This is were I am in total ignorance but reading various bits about Paul Hynes and power implementations and it starts to make a tiny bit of sense.

On the capacitors are you suggesting just adding them into the line? By this I mean just cut the live and ground and insert capacitor or is there a lot more to it then that?
So I tried to include a pic, but my pic filesize is way too big, unless I'm doing something wrong (could easily be the case).

But the simple answer is yes, just cut the live and ground and insert the cap as close to the MB as you can.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
nige2000 wrote:how much of a gap sq difference are you assuming between diy lifepo4 and ph supply?
I could do a PFM type reply and just ask you the same question!

Just in case Pearse reads this 40% difference Nod Nod Wink Wink.
Seriously as stated above the comparison was too ad hoc to form a definitive view. Pearse's sounded better but as we outlined above until we come back and go again with one pc it is conjecture as there were other variables.

I would guess at this level any big leaps will be hard to make without dropping lots of cash. For example would PH regulators bridge the gap? If so one is down 35% of the cost of the PH unit and when you add the tx cost and build and case you are getting closer to PH territory but still ending up with a diy box full of batteries etc etc
Thought you'd enjoy that question :)
Based on what diffetence we heard on which we should be assuming nothing because of the hardware differences
But on mad guess or gut feeling territory the biggest gap was in jitter which is where the mobo clock/s will make the difference
i didnt hear huge gaps in bass/ control ,dynamics or decay
Id suggest a mobo clock first then retest
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

randytsuch wrote:
tony wrote:This is were I am in total ignorance but reading various bits about Paul Hynes and power implementations and it starts to make a tiny bit of sense.

On the capacitors are you suggesting just adding them into the line? By this I mean just cut the live and ground and insert capacitor or is there a lot more to it then that?
So I tried to include a pic, but my pic filesize is way too big, unless I'm doing something wrong (could easily be the case).

But the simple answer is yes, just cut the live and ground and insert the cap as close to the MB as you can.
Thanks Randy that is interesting. So a few Duelund caps and Pearse's PH stuff is toast???
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote: Thought you'd enjoy that question :)
Based on what diffetence we heard on which we should be assuming nothing because of the hardware differences
But on mad guess or gut feeling territory the biggest gap was in jitter which is where the mobo clock/s will make the difference
i didnt hear huge gaps in bass/ control ,dynamics or decay
Id suggest a mobo clock first then retest
With you all the way but if you can go all the way to Canada to do some soldering a trip up to the Metropolis
for some mobo sorting will be a piece of cake. Besides can't freeze me ass off in that barn watching you solder when we have a luxury carpeted workshop centrally heated base for this important work!

See above I just wonder also if messing with caps could influence the final sound?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:
randytsuch wrote:

Thanks Randy that is interesting. So a few Duelund caps and Pearse's PH stuff is toast???
Trichord has some info about their approach

"Q. Are there any other modifications that can be made to improve my player? A. Most definitely. The Clock 4 will give you a major upgrade but other improvements can make a real difference. Power supplies have a big influence on how any piece of audio equipment sounds. All power supplies have rectifier diodes – by changing these to either Schottky or Ultra Fast Soft Recovery types, improvements will be made to the radio frequency noise generated by these components. Quieter background noise and improved soundstaging will be attained. Another key component to upgrade is the op-amp (or op-amps) used in the analogue output stage. This particular answer could go on for ever and use a web site of its own."

http://www.trichordresearch.co.uk/trich ... rd-clocks/

their never connected ps looks interesting as well
tony

Post by tony »

Good link Gordon here is another company that do maybe similar stuff(need to read a bit more on both).

http://www.tentlabs.com/Components/VCXO/index.html

The never connected stuff looks interesting but well into and above PHynes territory if that is pursued.
Last edited by tony on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I know I've mentioned before but don't under estimate the power supplies influence on the clock
The difference between powering the ppa usb card with lifepo4 was greater than the move from mobo usb port to ppa usb card
Last edited by nige2000 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

tony wrote:
I would definitely not say that, I haven't even heard a PH supply.
I don't have the budget for one, and with a child starting college next year its not in my future either.

But DIYers have one advantage, you can add things right next to the MB, versus using a PH supply that has to go through some amount of wire and connectors to get to the MB.

I was reading a thread somewhere recently about power (diyaudio maybe?), and someone recommended building a regulated linear PS with the transformer, bridge diodes and filter cap in a separate enclosure, away from the end device (think it was a headphone amp). Run unregulated DC power from this enclosure to the main box, and have the final regulator right next to the main board. The transformer, diodes and large filter cap generate noise, and this keeps the noise away from the main board, but you want the regulator close to the end user of the power.

Made sense to me for that application, and seems like something similar could be applied here too, but that does get complicated and maybe not practical.

And back to the original issue, I think caps can help, but they aren't the solution by themselves, just part of the answer.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones