Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
randytsuch

Re: Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Post by randytsuch »

tony wrote: Well lets see what develops and maybe do some more digging. Maybe in the new year
I will take one for the team and see if this works if we can find some data on positive results. Of course there is always a price! I will need me clocks to be glued to me board by a good plumber?
I had thought there was one manufacturer of 4 pole caps, and they were relabled by different companies.

But after a little more investigation, I'm not sure anymore.

Based on appearance and dimensions, there are potentially three different types
1. Jensen
2. Mundorf
3. BHC/DMN/Kemet

The Mundorf's look the most different, based on the pin appearance. The Jensen and BHC look alike, but their dimensions are different for the same voltage/capacitance.

I have only used Jensen's, but they have gotten expensive over here, $68 for a 10,000uf 63V cap.
I will likely try the BHC's at some point in the near future.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Think I am only in the halfpenny place with my Paul Hynes PS, 4 of them.........:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?to ... msg1385579

Post by Aleg »

Sligolad wrote:Think I am only in the halfpenny place with my Paul Hynes PS, 4 of them.........:

Ah, but his are 'only' single rails I presume
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Think I am only in the halfpenny place with my Paul Hynes PS, 4 of them.........:
Pity he's still using a mac mini

You could argue that single rail psus would preform better
I've seen evidence of this in the past
Paul likely has found a way to avoid the neg effects
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
Pity he's still using a mac mini

You could argue that single rail psus would preform better
I've seen evidence of this in the past
Paul likely has found a way to avoid the neg effects
I know a single should/could be better, but I had to come up with something that is 'bigger' in our version. :-)
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

randytsuch wrote:
tony wrote: Well lets see what develops and maybe do some more digging. Maybe in the new year
I will take one for the team and see if this works if we can find some data on positive results. Of course there is always a price! I will need me clocks to be glued to me board by a good plumber?
I had thought there was one manufacturer of 4 pole caps, and they were relabled by different companies.

But after a little more investigation, I'm not sure anymore.

Based on appearance and dimensions, there are potentially three different types
1. Jensen
2. Mundorf
3. BHC/DMN/Kemet

The Mundorf's look the most different, based on the pin appearance. The Jensen and BHC look alike, but their dimensions are different for the same voltage/capacitance.

I have only used Jensen's, but they have gotten expensive over here, $68 for a 10,000uf 63V cap.
I will likely try the BHC's at some point in the near future.

Randy
As far as I can understand from the latest couple of pages, the caps will maybe benefit with the longer DC cables?
In case of a longer SSD DC cable, just before the connector?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote: As far as I can understand from the latest couple of pages, the caps will maybe benefit with the longer DC cables?
Your clutching at straws does dc cables will just have to be shortened
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:
sima66 wrote: As far as I can understand from the latest couple of pages, the caps will maybe benefit with the longer DC cables?
Your clutching at straws does dc cables will just have to be shortened
I agree with that, but in my "Teradak case" I can't make the cables much shorter (if at all) and since I can't solve the "battery PS" problem, I'm looking to improve what I have!
This is just an open question and, again, maybe one of the options (if)!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote:I agree with that, but in my "Teradak case" I can't make the cables much shorter (if at all) and since I can't solve the "battery PS" problem, I'm looking to improve what I have!

Maybe just ignore the length for the moment and just implement as is.See how it works out. The caps thing looks like it just a punt. Need to find something on the auld internet to point us in the right direction as Nigel advises it could be fruitless effort. Been thinking should be easy enough to put temp connections in place to try caps in a variety of positions.
Clocks and clean power to usb card seems proved so really the caps thing is if one needs more!!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:
sima66 wrote:I agree with that, but in my "Teradak case" I can't make the cables much shorter (if at all) and since I can't solve the "battery PS" problem, I'm looking to improve what I have!

Maybe just ignore the length for the moment and just implement as is.See how it works out. The caps thing looks like it just a punt. Need to find something on the auld internet to point us in the right direction as Nigel advises it could be fruitless effort. Been thinking should be easy enough to put temp connections in place to try caps in a variety of positions.
Clocks and clean power to usb card seems proved so really the caps thing is if one needs more!!
Tony,
My "new" battery power supply is not working - DEAD and is out my abilities to fix it or to find the problem! The cable length are the list of my problems!
My ONLY power supply that I'm using now is the ATX Teradak with the longer DC wires that cannot be shorter. So, if there is a way to minimize the "wires length negative effect", I might be interested in that!