Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
randytsuch

Re: Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Post by randytsuch »

sima66 wrote:Tony,
My "new" battery power supply is not working - DEAD and is out my abilities to fix it or to find the problem! The cable length are the list of my problems!
My ONLY power supply that I'm using now is the ATX Teradak with the longer DC wires that cannot be shorter. So, if there is a way to minimize the "wires length negative effect", I might be interested in that!
So I did a couple experiments over the last few days.

I have a Silverstone PCIE to USB card. My USB card is isolated from normal PC power, and powered from a simple 3.3V regulator. I feed the 3.3V regulator with 5VDC from another linear regulator. I had a Jensen 4 pole on the output of the 5V regulator, so it was also on the input to the 3.3V regulator. I removed this cap, and liked it better without the cap.

So I was wondering if the Jensen's were helping?

In my PC, 12VDC is supplied by an external Astron linear power supply. There is probably 12 inches of wire between the power supply and the motherboard connector. I have a Jensen on the 12V line which goes to the 4 pin ATX connector. I removed the Jensen and listened. Definitely worse without the Jensen. So I added this Jensen back, and it was better again.

I have other Jensen's on the 3.3V, 5V and 12V feeds to the 24 pin ATX connector that I want to experiment with, and see if they make a difference.

So my take on this is that in my system, in the right place they make a difference, but I need to experiment more and not just put them everywhere. BTW, in my system, I have simple linear power supplies I made for the 3.3 and 5V, and the Astron for 12V. I have some small AA type LIFEPO4 batteries on the 5V line, but no other batteries in the PC at this time.

But in Canada, from Parts Connexion, a 10,000uf Jensen 4 pole will cost close to $70, and at that price I have a hard time saying to try it and see what happens. I bought my Jensens a long time ago for a much lower price.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
tony

Post by tony »

Interesting Randy. Lots of soldering beckons then if trying this out.
Notice the size of cap you used I was going to dip my toes in this by taking the 2 caps linked below off Steph. I notice yours have a much higher uf. Does that matter? Realize I haven't a clue
on this mircofarads sound like a breakfast cereal. I had a quick look but I need someone or a chart to say it is ok to put them in a circuit of whatever volt and amp size

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3160
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

tony wrote:Interesting Randy. Lots of soldering beckons then if trying this out.
Notice the size of cap you used I was going to dip my toes in this by taking the 2 caps linked below off Steph. I notice yours have a much higher uf. Does that matter? Realize I haven't a clue
on this mircofarads sound like a breakfast cereal. I had a quick look but I need someone or a chart to say it is ok to put them in a circuit of whatever volt and amp size

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3160
IMHO, PIO caps are better for signal applications. The normal use for these are in the signal path in tube amps and preamps. I wouldn't use that cap for what I'm talking about, but I never tried one a PIO cap here either.

There are cheaper electrolytic caps that MIGHT work ok for a PC, but I haven't tried those either.
The normal suspects include Elna Silmic II, Nichicon Muse and the now unobtainable Blackgates. Some of the Panasonic series are also good.

I also wanted to add that I also have a Oscon, probably 330uf, next to the 4 pin ATX connector. I didn't remove this cap when I removed the Jensen, but I might try taking it off. I suspect it's not doing much.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks Randy. Will give them a go as they are not exactly breaking the bank and even if they sound bad it will at least indicate to me that they can do something.

My concern was blowing up the Mobo or USB card.

It is a pity the Duelunds/Jensen are so expensive. Blackgates it seems are nearly gone. Audionote have something on there website about developing a new cap as there stocks are nearly exhausted.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

tony wrote:Thanks Randy. Will give them a go as they are not exactly breaking the bank and even if they sound bad it will at least indicate to me that they can do something.

My concern was blowing up the Mobo or USB card.

It is a pity the Duelunds/Jensen are so expensive. Blackgates it seems are nearly gone. Audionote have something on there website about developing a new cap as there stocks are nearly exhausted.
Yes, once something is considered "audiophile" worthy, they get expensive.

The audionote announcement is interesting, but right now they only list prices for high voltage (500V) caps. Will be interesting to see what they ask for lower voltage caps when they are available, but I expect them to be pretty expensive too.

I'll try to burn in some lower price caps I have on hand, I think I have some Nichicons at home, and try those in a week or two, and see if they can compete with the Jensens in this application.

Randy
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I'm curious if the voltage on those DC outputs can be changed, or connect two devices to one output?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sima66

Post by sima66 »

sima66 wrote:I'm curious if the voltage on those DC outputs can be changed, or connect two devices to one output?
I meant if the voltages on the Paul HYnes DC rails can be changed? :)

Pearse, did you connect more than one device per rail?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

sima66 wrote:
sima66 wrote:I'm curious if the voltage on those DC outputs can be changed, or connect two devices to one output?

There are trimmers on each of the voltage regulators Adam , you can see them in the pictures at the beginning of the thread (those light blue units with the brass screw head protruding).
I have never went near them as never had the need to change voltage so cannot say how much either way they can change the output voltage.

I do run several items off the 5v rails as in SSD,s USB Card etc, and have not had any issues doing that.
The 12 v rail i use for the main motherboard 12v input.

Post by sima66 »

Sligolad wrote:
sima66 wrote:

There are trimmers on each of the voltage regulators Adam , you can see them in the pictures at the beginning of the thread (those light blue units with the brass screw head protruding).
I have never went near them as never had the need to change voltage so cannot say how much either way they can change the output voltage.

I do run several items off the 5v rails as in SSD,s USB Card etc, and have not had any issues doing that.
The 12 v rail i use for the main motherboard 12v input.
Thanks Pearse.
I ordered one with 4 rails, adjustable from 3 to 12v.
3 rails are 3A and one will be 6A.
i was thinking to use the 6A to power my CPU?!

When I asked Paul about how much the voltage can be adjusted, he said not much, but to do that he needs to "re-size the potentiometer and the components"! So, I chose the "re-sizing"! :)
Silver wire is inside and the rails, plus girl in bikini will deliver to the door! :)

You are saying that you have more than one device on ONE rail? How did you split?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I have way more amps than i need on each rail so I just use terminal blocks inside the Audio PC and run SSD connectors and Molex connectors from these terminal blocks.

One of the 5v lines also powers a DC to DC reg for 1.3v out to the RAM (16Gb) and it has been like that for over a year starting and running fine.

For the cost of the PH supplies you might expect special delivery options :-))