OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sebna

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by sebna »

Very interesting Pearse. Keep it coming :)
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
tony

Post by tony »

sebna wrote:Very interesting Pearse. Keep it coming :)
++++1 and get the install time down to 1hr and easy to follow 1-8 implementation chart
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Frustrating afternoon. Ramdisk install that went really well thanks to Pearse and all his careful instructions and print outs.
But even thought it worked fine no music playing. Getting a Net framework error on MQn.
Pearse suspects the AHCI setting in the MSI board or maybe UEFI. Will post on the Jplay thread hopefully somebody has a fix or has come across this issue before. Bit of a pita with AO also as you end up needing to use 2 licences due to the way AO is configured.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Thinking about it afterwards Tony I think going to a fresh install on the Samsung SSD or another SSD if you have one and have Bios set to IDE in the SATA controls before the install will be what you need to start with.
Hopefully then with UEFI and Legacy selected in Bios the process might go OK given the main OS is setup on IDE drive.

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:Frustrating afternoon. Ramdisk install that went really well thanks to Pearse and all his careful instructions and print outs.
But even thought it worked fine no music playing. Getting a Net framework error on MQn.
Pearse suspects the AHCI setting in the MSI board or maybe UEFI. Will post on the Jplay thread hopefully somebody has a fix or has come across this issue before. Bit of a pita with AO also as you end up needing to use 2 licences due to the way AO is configured.
Congrats Tony.....you are almost there! Now I know where to go for help! ;-)
Like you said just a while ago ......I'm way behind the curb on this one!! :))
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

tony wrote:Bit of a pita with AO also as you end up needing to use 2 licences due to the way AO is configured.
Hi Tony,
I have the same license with AO and no issue. AO is checking the hardware configuration, if you have build the VHD on the same machine hardware is not changing and it still works with the same code. Maybe I can help if i understand better the way you tried to get into RamBoot ;)
Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
tony

Post by tony »

Octagon wrote:
tony wrote:Bit of a pita with AO also as you end up needing to use 2 licences due to the way AO is configured.
Hi Tony,
I have the same license with AO and no issue. AO is checking the hardware configuration, if you have build the VHD on the same machine hardware is not changing and it still works with the same code. Maybe I can help if i understand better the way you tried to get into RamBoot ;)
Take care
Thomas

I am with you on that. Thought that was the way it should happen.
Pearse did the install with me. I had an existing 2012R2 on SSD. 2 vhd's created on that volume.One full and one compressed. They were the two that required new licences but will do as you outline when I attempt it again. On this occasion will be doing 3 installs. Wiping 2012R2 from SSD and reinstalling making sure IDE is ticked.
Then the two VHD's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Are u sure ide is a requirement or us it just because pearses ssd was ide format?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

IDE is not required and I wouldn't recommend it as an obsolete protocol.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

Not sure, The install went very well but that is the only issue we can identify(difference) Pearse's install is on gigabyte board and is IDE. Ramdisk seems to need legacy rather than UEFI and my understanding is because mobo settings was AHCI the install defaulted to UEFI. Maybe if I redo the install but pick Legacy/UEFI and leave it at AHCI all will work