OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by tony »

Still flapping around! Had a mishap after last weekends install let my lifepo4 batteries run down. Recharged and back up and running.
Running in ramdisk and can't explain how this is happening but JPlay is playing music from the D drive. Get driver error if run from the C: drive. Sound very good whatever way it is working
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

I need some help regarding VHD_W8_Compact.exe. I downloaded VHD_W8C.exe from http://reboot.pro/files/file/299-vhd-w8 ... ke-mini-8/ and my antivirus Avira detects malware in the file VHD_W8_Compact.exe. In http://www.herdprotect.com/vhd_w8_compa ... da7dc.aspx, it is reported that other antivirus also detected malware.
Can I safely use it?
Thanks.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

The file I downloaded was called VHD_W8C_85.exe and I extracted it to a folder which then had VHD_W8_Compact.exe inside it.
It worked fine and I may have had a warning but was not concerned as I run my audio PC without any network connections or wireless.
I would be surprised if there is a problem with it but if you are hooking up your audio PC to a network then maybe look further.

Thanks, Sligolad.
That's exactly what I have done. My audio PC does not have Internet access so I download files in another PC and it was there that the malware was detected.
I will give it a try.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
adolfo.a.aguiar

Sligolad,

I followed the "WinRam Installation Guide" from Horst to setup a compacted 3.9GB Server R2 (for 8GB RAM) and had success to run it as a RamDisk. But there is an issue: although Foobar plays OK, MQn doesn't (mqncontrol4.25, mqnplay9.12).
The first issue with MQn is that paste.exe requires .NET 4.0, which was stripped away in the compacting process.
I tried to fool MQn by commenting the lines paste >> param.txt and del *.wav /q, editing param.txt and copying a .wav file to MQn folder. In this case, MQn starts as usual by no music is played. Any ideas?
I think that compacting to 7GB keeps .NET. Does it?

Adolfo
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Or, just keep DotNet.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:which was stripped away in the compacting process.
Hi Adolfo,
I would suggest just not to use any "compacting". Fully R2 fits within 8GB plus the space you would need for other installations. You can make it fit within around 7GB with some certain dism orders depending on your system. Reports confirmed that SQ is not different depending on the size of OS in RAM. That is my experience as well so I prefer the better handling of a full R2 VHD.
My preferences after a lot of testing is 10GB as the space is there, you need 16GB of RAM anyway. It allows a normal handling of the VHD in case of changes eg new drivers because everything runs stable if the VHD is booted. After all changes in the VHD you boot it without any trouble into RAM again.
The only reason for "compacting" might be that there is not enough RAM?
Good luck ;)
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:Sligolad,
(mqncontrol4.25, mqnplay9.12).
The first issue with MQn is that paste.exe requires .NET 4.0, which was stripped away in the compacting process.
I think that compacting to 7GB keeps .NET. Does it?
Adolfo
Hi Adolfo,
First off I assume you went with Server 2012 R2 Minimal Server or GUI for the Large VHD before compacting to 3.9Gb.
The compacting tool does strip away a lot of functionality and most likely .Net as well.
On all my installs compacting to 3.9 from Minimal Server I had no issues running the MQN versions you listed above.
I have been using Taggarts MQNLoader for a year or two now so I have never used paste.exe on any of my installs so it may be worth looking at this instead, it requires renaming the MQNPlay files (mqnplay.exe 1644 24 bit 9.12 avx2)(moving the .exe piece) but this is a necessary step I now take for granted so as to have the flexibility with MQNLoad to move between different Control and Play files with ease.

If you have gone for a Sever 2012 R2 Core install then you cannot run the MQN files you listed but you can run the last trio of MQN files (mqnplay.exe, mqnloader.exe, mqncontrol.exe) by placing them in a root folder called musicplayer and dropping in .wav files to this folder and renaming them to test.wav.
You have to hexedit the mqnplay.exe for your DAC or ask someone here for one if they have the same DAC as yourself and they have already edited the mqnplay file.
You need to run Audiophils Optimiser to get Kernel Streaming working in Core mode as well.
Another watchout is that you have to Ctrl + Alt + Del to get to Task Manager and then "End Task" the mqnplay file after it stops playing before you can play another or the same file again.
I suspect you have not gone the Server Core install route as it is a bit of a pain to get there but hopefully in the near future we might have a fully working MQN file system which plays full files in Core Mode.
MQN or JPlay in Server Core mode & RamDisk is at the moment for me the ultimate audio playback solution for best music experience but maybe that could change with Win10.....
Cheers, Pearse.

Sligolad,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.
Indeed I started from a R2 GUI.
I'll have a look into MQnLoad and report back.
Cheers.

Adolfo
adolfo.a.aguiar

Octagon wrote:
adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:which was stripped away in the compacting process.
Hi Adolfo,
I would suggest just not to use any "compacting". Fully R2 fits within 8GB plus the space you would need for other installations. You can make it fit within around 7GB with some certain dism orders depending on your system. Reports confirmed that SQ is not different depending on the size of OS in RAM. That is my experience as well so I prefer the better handling of a full R2 VHD.
My preferences after a lot of testing is 10GB as the space is there, you need 16GB of RAM anyway. It allows a normal handling of the VHD in case of changes eg new drivers because everything runs stable if the VHD is booted. After all changes in the VHD you boot it without any trouble into RAM again.
The only reason for "compacting" might be that there is not enough RAM?
Good luck ;)
Thomas
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I have just 8GB RAM now.