OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by nige2000 »

goon-heaven wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
goon-heaven wrote:What stick you using? Sandisk Extreme 16gb?
Yea
My results on OS in ram compared to OS on same sticks are much improved percussion and dynamics, lower noise floor, more micro detail. But then I'm drowning in an SMPS coffin bog.
really
opposite effect for me
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

"resurrecting" this old thread because I'm finally getting around to trying to run my OS out of Ram

I have 16G of ram, so no problem there.

I have windows 7 on a HDD, and server 2012 R2 on a SDD, and I swap them depending on what OS I want to run.
My brute force way of booting into a different OS.

Made a server 2012 VHD with Disk2VHD.
This was easy running out of windows 7, but with my server 2012 SSD also connected to my PC.

Used EasyBCD to add the VHD to the boot menu. This was out of windows 7

But here was when I ran into a problem, when I tried to boot to the VHD, I got an error message, and haven't been able to boot into the VHD.

I think it's because I'm booting up from windows 7, would probably work ok if I was booting from server 2012.
I found this page today, which might fix my problem, its way at the bottom of the page
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... server8gen

but I'm thinking now it would be easier to copy the vhd to my server 2012 sdd, and try it like that.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi Randy,

you might check my hints from the beginning of this thread. Did you try to overrule the boot hitting F8 which should lead you in another menue. It is the one I described for the first start avoiding driver signature test.

If you can't reach that menue your idea to go without W7 might be better.

Good luck, let me know if I can of any help
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Octagon wrote:Hi Randy,

you might check my hints from the beginning of this thread. Did you try to overrule the boot hitting F8 which should lead you in another menue. It is the one I described for the first start avoiding driver signature test.

If you can't reach that menue your idea to go without W7 might be better.

Good luck, let me know if I can of any help
Thomas
Hi Thomas
Thanks for the quick reply.

I used your hints in the beginning of the thread as my "guide", and that was how I knew which tools to use.

I'll try again tonight, but I don't think F8 helped. From what I read this morning, it is harder to boot from windows 7 into a newer windows. There is extra "stuff" you need to do. If I upgrade to windows 10, it would probably work.

The other thing is my vhd is larger than expected, if I remember correctly it's around 13 G. I don't think I've installed that much, I have tried to keep this OS somewhat "pure" and only install what I need to listen to music. I think it's the datacenter version, so maybe that's why it larger.

Once I get it booting from ram, I'll see if I can make it a little smaller.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

randytsuch wrote:From what I read this morning, it is harder to boot from windows 7 into a newer windows. There is extra "stuff" you need to do. If I upgrade to windows 10, it would probably work.
Randy,

I can't confirm that. My first steps booting into VHD in my way booting into RAM have been on my productive W7 PC. R2 is still on there and working. I would guess you have an UEFI Bios? That causes a lot of trouble. In this case check the latest version of BCDeasy, it says that it is able to handle UEFI Bios now. I have not tested that because I have no such issues in my systems.
randytsuch wrote:The other thing is my vhd is larger than expected, if I remember correctly it's around 13 G.
That's sure not the normal R2. I have started with 13 GB VHD just to be on the save side. I can confirm that the installation works with 10GB safely, minimum without any compacting, which risks a lot of single system dependent issues, is 8GB.

Finally, instead of W10 I would strongly recommend to go with Server 2016 TP4, you will be surprised. You would need a minimum of 10GB VHD which leaves a bit less than 1 GB free. It works pretty well in RAM the same way as R2 does.

Enjoy the music ;)
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Octagon wrote: Randy,

I can't confirm that. My first steps booting into VHD in my way booting into RAM have been on my productive W7 PC. R2 is still on there and working. I would guess you have an UEFI Bios? That causes a lot of trouble. In this case check the latest version of BCDeasy, it says that it is able to handle UEFI Bios now. I have not tested that because I have no such issues in my systems.

Enjoy the music ;)
Thomas
Interesting. Well, I'll try some more tonight, and pay more attention to the error code I get when it fails.

I think I have UEFI enabled, I'll check, and try to disable.

And I'm using BCDeasy, it's what I used to try to boot from the VHD file. Just downloaded it yesterday to do this.

BTW, I this brings back memories from before, when I was trying to make a dual boot system. At some point I gave up because it was a pain, and it was easier for me to swap drives then to keep screwing with it :)

Randy
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Had lots of fun with this last night ;)

I tried to boot into my VHD, and had the same problem, so I searched for a solution

Found this page
https://neosmart.net/forums/threads/win ... file.9274/

posts 8 and 9 were the most helpful.

This part of post 1 exactly describes my problem symptoms
However now I get the error 0xc0000428 'Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.' - \Windows\system32\winload.exe. From here, I am given the option to 'investigate further' by pressing ENTER, which display the boot menu. If I proceed, it shows one option - 'Microsoft Windows'. It states down the bottom that pressing F8 will provide me with more advanced options for my selection, however it only brings me back to the winload.exe error screen.

So I tried to do what was outlined in post 9, but windows wouldn't let me change the attributes of bootmgr. I found that for some reason, windows does this sometimes. There is a way to get around it, but I gave up, and decided to try booting from my server 2012 disk.

I tried to boot into server 2012, but couldn't. I think when I was setting up to boot into a vhd file, and I had both my server 2012 and win7 os boot drives connected at the same time, easybcd did something to the 2012 disk so it wouldn't boot. Either that or windows did, maybe I confused it having two boot drives connected at the same time?

So I booted up win7, and ran easyBCD.

Go to Bootloader Setup page, and selected Change boot drive. I selected D:, which in my PC was the server 2012 os disk.

After this, I rebooted, and was able to boot server :)

So then I tried to boot my VHD, but it failed again. Did get further, at least it started now, but the spinning circle spun for a while, and I got an error message and a reboot.

After this, I booted up win7 again, and this time it did a file check before it would boot, but 5 minutes later it did boot up with no other problem.

So now I need to go look at how I made my VHD file, and figure out why it won't boot up.

Well, at least I made some progress :)

Randy
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi Randy,

I kept my fingers crossed all night, didn't worked out - sorry .... ;)

Think about starting from scratch. Far too many possibilities of crossed mistakes. Backup the whole thing, start with a new formatted disc to avoid kept information in mbr or bootmanager or.... or....

Good luck, have fun my friend
Thomas
Octagon

AO 2.0 beta 10 & Server 2016 TP4 in RAM

Post by Octagon »

Dear All,

I work quite some time on manual optimization of MS Server 2016 TP4. In between I am happy to confirm good news about AO 2.0b10 with 2016 TP 4. There have been no issues within GUI mode on my system. Load of the system has been clearly lowered. My testing confirms that for installation on disc, vhd and booted as RAMOS into RAM. Following more details:

• clean installation of 2016 TP4 on SSD respective into new vhd of 10GB size. Proof of audio system running well within these installations:
Foobar with Sox upsampling – Acourate Asio – Acourate Convolver with online convolving/cleaner/flow – USB - Fireface UCX, priorities and affinity of all
processes set with Taggarts tool „Tasker“
• AO 2.0b10 installation works without any recognizable mistakes
• Full optimization with AO, everything switched on/off for minimized workload, only WMI switched on as needed for Acourate Convolver (and MQn by the way)

Result: no recognizable mistakes, clear reduction of processes, threads and handles

Testing Service Tool 2.0 in GUI:
• E) Shell replacement for Total Commander works fine
• F) Autologon works fine
• H) System Info works finei
• Compacting Tool works fine, resulting in a reduction of 600MB
But:
Shell afterwords again normal GUI Shell
• Reset Optimization: works fine
• Switch to Minimal Server: starts but window shuts without result (expected behaviour)
• Switch to Core: starts but window shuts without result (expected behaviour)
• Switch to GUI: start, short window with red text, no more activity follows

Test 2016 TP4 AO 2.0b10 optimized booted as OS in RAM:
• Vhd boots without any issues into RAM
• Acourate Convolver needs, in analogy to R2, new license code due to changed environment
• The differences in SQ are comparable to the one between R2 normally booted vs RAMOS

Phil and his team successfully finished the first steps to an Audiophile Optimizer for the successor of R2. Please be aware that minimal server mode can be reached at this moment in time only by direct installation of TP4 as a minimal server. But the team is working to get this integrated into AO.

My personal goal of a dedicated very, very small Nano server, successor of the R2 core mode, is far more future talk but worked on as well. We will need to wait anyway on MS's updated technical previews as well as on the final content of the final version.

It would be a bit to early from my point of view to talk about sq. As I mentioned before I recognize TP4 as a huge step MS has reached regarding audio handling. The main point you will recognize is the improvement of latency. The following examples will give you an inside that I could reach lowest latency ever in my system now:

Foobar @50ms, FF UCX @64 samples @44,1kHz 16bit
or
Foobar @50ms, JPlay @0,01ms & 700Hz, FF UCX @64 samples @44,1kHz 16bit

Enough details to keep you in the loop, don’t forget to enjoy the music ;)

Take care
Thomas
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

TP4 seems to have much potential
i tried it as stock in comparison to win 10

a minimalist server 16 will be a good goal to aim for
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's