OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by tony »

I think ramdisk should be made compulsory for all CA. Like getting a Big7 for virtually nothing
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

implementation is a great untapped upgrade
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:implementation is a great untapped upgrade
That's a bit Oscar Wildish for you? Or maybe Eric Cantona? ....the seagulls flock.....
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I can see that you switched from 8 to 16gb RAM.
Just took the easier route for ramdisk, or....?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

I take it sticking in an extra 16gb is of no advantage unless you start from scratch and install again
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
I can see that you switched from 8 to 16gb RAM.
Just took the easier route for ramdisk, or....?

lazy install reasons I will try 8gb yet

starting to suspect there may be slightly less detail with ram disk
need to test further......
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I hope that is not the same thing like with the "regular" ramdisk (not with the OS on it)!
A while ago having the files and mqn playing from it, the sound was cleaner on the first site, but more flat missing tje lows and highs and I didn't like it!

Can't comment on the OS on RAM, never tried!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:I hope that is not the same thing like with the "regular" ramdisk (not with the OS on it)!
A while ago having the files and mqn playing from it, the sound was cleaner on the first site, but more flat missing tje lows and highs and I didn't like it!
might be a bit of that too
maybe slightly less focus as well

winram/ramdisk (whichever) seems to have lower noise floor sound very liquid/fluid/analogue
where usb sounds compressed or strained by comparison

need to try 8gb only and clean power to ram see if it cures it
Octagon

Audiophile Optimizer & Windows in RAM or AO1.31 at your duty

Post by Octagon »

Hi folks,

the progress of RAMOS has been withheld for many of us so far because of compacting problems.

With the new AO version 1.31 of Phil’s Optimizer that might change, at least we can communicate a first successful step toward 8GB RAM:

I have been since quite some time in discussion with Phil about an idea how we can build a simple compact mode to provide a simple solution for smaller RAM sizes. An essential requirement of such a solution is that the entire logic structure of R2 2012 will be kept working. Among other things, a use of the AO Service Tools and switching from one mode to the other must continue to be possible in compact versions. To make it easy: All functions of AO must also be working in compact versions.
As an example, it will then be possible to boot a system from core mode into GUI mode to update drivers and then go back into the core mode and back to optimize.
All reductions will be performed with standard tools of R2 2012 and will be automated. Thus, we avoid largely of incompatibilities and errors in the future.

Check it out:
Phil has integrated the first result in the beta version of AO1.31:
You can find it in the Service Tool 1:51 in <G> Compacting feature
At this stage, after a fully optimization of R2 2012, the feature will release another 1.1GB. So the total demand of the optimized R2 falls to 7GB.

I have tested the AO1.31b8 as well as previous versions in detail. I have found no problems even with the normal functions of the AO1.31. You can find the current beta on Phil's website under "download" for your own test if you are a registered user of AO.

We are still working on significantly smaller versions, but this is a first successful step I wanted to share with you in agreement with Phil. It might give you some intention of the future.

Maybe the way to "AO in RAM"....

Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
goon-heaven

Re: Audiophile Optimizer & Windows in RAM or AO1.31 at your

Post by goon-heaven »

Octagon wrote:Maybe the way to "AO in RAM"....
Not sure what you mean by this - is this not already possible? Please explain more..