OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Octagon

Re: Audiophile Optimizer & Windows in RAM or AO1.31 at your

Post by Octagon »

goon-heaven wrote:
Octagon wrote:Maybe the way to "AO in RAM"....
Not sure what you mean by this - is this not already possible? Please explain more..
Hi,

sure it is possible and working, if you find or know a way to get OS in RAM. This is what others and myself are doing quite some time already. But the way to get there is not easy.

A supporting solution which would make that access available with OS in RAM would allow more of us to benefit from the sq improvement.

Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
goon-heaven

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by goon-heaven »

Thanks for the explanation Thomas.. Yes, entirely agree on having a supporting solution to ease installing OS in RAM
Animaniac

Post by Animaniac »

I'm getting into this and would love some pointers.
Would a Soekris DAC via I2S function properly?
Would a CF card and adapter make more sense than a SSD?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8GB-King ... 98748.html
Does the music have to be in the RAM with the OS?
Is Horst's how-to considered outdated now? Please let me know about an updated version.
What's everyone's thoughts on this? http://www.all1.com.tw/CDD101cache.html

thanks
Dan
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi Dan,

I will try to answer your questions step by step:
Animaniac wrote:Would a Soekris DAC via I2S function properly??
If you use a full install everything will work as it works within the normal OS. If you use any kind of compacting that might be different due to the major individualities of PC systems and depending on the compacting tool/methodology you are using. Please understand that OS in RAM means nothing different as just having your main OS drive placed in RAM instead of placed on a harddisc or SSD.
Animaniac wrote:Would a CF card and adapter make more sense than a SSD??
Why would you use a cf card in addition? For what would you like to use it? It might add Jitter through the power consumption?
Animaniac wrote:Does the music have to be in the RAM with the OS?
No. With your player part of RAMOS the files from your storage will be played from RAM. Depending on the player you use it might even store the music file from RAMOS into normal RAM. That seems to have the same positive effect of the discussed rewriting tool also used from the Player Bughead Emperor or as standalone tool.

There has no one reported yet any SQ advantage of a compacted system. As long as one does not know what the compacting does to a single system one can't know about the result. That is why I started with Phil an aproach as described above which will keep full flexibility and usage to the compacted OS. You might try what we achieved so far.

Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Animaniac

Post by Animaniac »

Nicely put. The thread in JPLAY that led me here also mentioned that particular CF as being sonically superior. If I use mQn it won't matter because even though the music is being accessed, it is loaded to the RAM first. I think I get it. I must admit this is worth spending time on.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Animaniac wrote:Nicely put. The thread in JPLAY that led me here also mentioned that particular CF as being sonically superior. If I use mQn it won't matter because even though the music is being accessed, it is loaded to the RAM first. I think I get it. I must admit this is worth spending time on.
not completely sold on ramdisk yet less detail for me here
the cf cards requirement for an ide controller is a non runner on the most modern motherboards
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

nige2000 wrote:not completely sold on ramdisk yet less detail for me here
Hi Nige,

Do you have clean power to RAM with the 16GB in between? You mentioned before that might be the difference you recognized against your 8GB non RAM OS.

Cheers
Thomas
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I Dont currently have an external PS directly to ram on any of my builds
My DAC experiments are delaying my PC build progression not to mention the stabilty of the two mobo clk replacements

Sometimes I think were just insane with this hobby

Anyway my previous ramdisk vs clean power to vhd on USB stick
Both vhds are Copys

What I mentioned before was because there is more been done in the ram with ram disk it might be more susceptible to noise on the ram ps possibly resulting in clean power to ram been better than clean power to USB is

In my current setup
Ramdisk has better flow
Clean power to USB is has better dynamic and detail but can seem constrained by comparison

But I can be a little Over the top ;)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

nige2000 wrote:I Dont currently have an external PS directly to ram on any of my builds
My DAC experiments are delaying my PC build progression not to mention the stabilty of the two mobo clk replacements

Sometimes I think were just insane with this hobby

Anyway my previous ramdisk vs clean power to vhd on USB stick
Both vhds are Copys

What I mentioned before was because there is more been done in the ram with ram disk it might be more susceptible to noise on the ram ps possibly resulting in clean power to ram been better than clean power to USB is

In my current setup
Ramdisk has better flow
Clean power to USB is has better dynamic and detail but can seem constrained by comparison

But I can be a little Over the top ;)
But isn't it nice to be sometimes a bit crazy ;))

Got it and would agree about clean power. It is an additional step up in SQ the moment you add clean power to RAM on top of RAMOS. I am comming the other way around with RAMOS first and then adding power improvements step by step. One LPSU for RAM, one LPSU for cpu and one LPSU for SSD. All with its single additional filters feeding the mb picoless. All USB are switched off. That is as well possible with the SSD when RAMOS is booted and music files are loaded.

The bigger step in comparison regarding RAM vs CPU clean power was CPU in my case. But everything powered clean on its own is best at the end (so far). I can't compare booted from stick as I boot from ssd. But I use also a RAMOS version specially build for video, played with VLC from an external small samsung BlueRay Player which is in then connected via USB 3.0. I was very astonished about the SQ allthough playing from dvd....

Good luck with your dam DAC!
Thomas
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

these differences are small by comparison to many things
usb cable, usb card cleaner power to individual components, bios settings have much more impact
think its because when you put something under the microscope well... suppose we just see more problems