OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by Sligolad »

Biggest change for me recently was adding the Paul Hynes supply to the RAM which uses RamDisk, the dynamics, detail and overall punch from the music has been an eye opener and the best I have heard from my system so far.
Its one of those changes that allows you to go back listening to your music collection again and hear lots of detail, dynamics and decay I never heard or noticed before.

With all the mods and RamDisk the ground plane is now the next voyage of discovery as more and more peculiar issues start occurring.

I managed to get the OS on the PPA OS SSD to work on the Mobo for loading the OS into RamDisk on start but only with a standard Sata Cable, the top of the range PPA Sata cable will not allow the process to complete for a RamDisk start, I think it is ground activity on the SATA side of things confusing matters but only a guess.

At least with RamDisk after everything is started and loaded you can just disconnect the SATA cable from the OS drive and carry on playing music with no reliance on the SSD drive.

Still a lot to learn with all this yet!!!

Post by goon-heaven »

Sligolad wrote:Biggest change for me recently was adding the Paul Hynes supply to the RAM which uses RamDisk, the dynamics, detail and overall punch from the music has been an eye opener and the best I have heard from my system so far.
Its one of those changes that allows you to go back listening to your music collection again and hear lots of detail, dynamics and decay I never heard or noticed before...
....so is the next step a PH 1.3-1.5v PS direct feed?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Well on ram disk system its probably the most important PS
So a pH PS system all round ain't a bad idea
But I'm impatient and al I wouldn't throw that much cash at it so not for me
Think I'll try it again with either NiMH or supercaps from my 3.3v battery bank through another regulator for 1.35v
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

goon-heaven wrote: ....so is the next step a PH 1.3-1.5v PS direct feed?
May be a bridge too far Time and Money wise but........if there was a good linear PS with several rails with 1.3 to 1.5v available it would be an incentive to go after other low voltage points on the Mobo maybe around the CPU.

Happy enough with the 5v PH into the Audiowind Regulator working well at the moment.
I took the heatsink off and I have it mounted on the side of the Streacom which is a great heatsink and barely gets warm.

Post by nige2000 »

took another test with the supercap on with ram disk vs clean powered usb key (same vhd)
and still not convinced
still a whole layer of detail missing?
im i on my own with this?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

What stick you using? Sandisk Extreme 16gb?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

goon-heaven wrote:What stick you using? Sandisk Extreme 16gb?
Yea
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:took another test with the supercap on with ram disk vs clean powered usb key (same vhd)
and still not convinced
Yeah after the grief in getting it working I can only hear angels. USB is so last year.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
nige2000 wrote:took another test with the supercap on with ram disk vs clean powered usb key (same vhd)
and still not convinced
Yeah after the grief in getting it working I can only hear angels. USB is so last year.
so you've a-b tested ram disk and win to go with the same os?
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

nige2000 wrote:
goon-heaven wrote:What stick you using? Sandisk Extreme 16gb?
Yea
My results on OS in ram compared to OS on same sticks are much improved percussion and dynamics, lower noise floor, more micro detail. But then I'm drowning in an SMPS coffin bog.