OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by tony »

Thanks Adolfo will give it a go hopefully I figure it out. Many thanks again
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

Thank you Aleg
Your suggestion works perfect

Anyone have problem I had just ask Aleg
MQN with OS on Ram is well worth
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

elaprince wrote:Thank you Aleg
Your suggestion works perfect

Anyone have problem I had just ask Aleg
MQN with OS on Ram is well worth
The solution for me (and elaprince) is to not have the dotNet framework removed. This will cost you 200MB extra space, but some programs require it (also outside of paste.exe)

If using a 64-bit operating system you have to add two lines to the end of the following file:
File: nf40_8vhd.txt in subdirectory VHDW8 of the program VHD_W8_Compact.exe
Additional lines:

Code: Select all

\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\*.*
\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\*.*
In the screen of VHD_W8_Compact.exe, set the checkbox for keeping the dotNet4.0 Framework top right hand corner:

This should keep the dotNet 4.0 Framework when compacting windows OS.

If you don't use a 64-bit OS you don't have to add the two extra line and just using the checkbox should be sufficient.

Cheers
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Thanks for posting Aleg, looks like a simple and easy solution.
Been trying to avoid lots of PM for these kind of solutions so they can be posted here for everyone's benefit.
Hopefully more members will eventually try Ramdisk with this kind of support.

Post by tony »

Had a quick look at Alegs instructions above are they instead of Adolfo's suggestion or is that an addition?
Also those AO have to be reversed before trying this?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

My audio pc is headless and I would like to be able to make changes to the compacted system using Remote Desktop. I can boot it using a usb stick (as per "WinRam Installation Guide" from Horst) but the control pc can't find the audio pc.
Does anyone know if a vhd shrinked with VHD_W8_Compact loses Remote Desktop functionality?
If true, is it possible to restore this functionality?
Tks.

Adolfo
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

tony wrote:Had a quick look at Alegs instructions above are they instead of Adolfo's suggestion or is that an addition?
___________________________________________________________________________________________
It's one or the other.
With my suggestion, just replace paste.exe and install the vc redist (actually, the KBs are not required). No AO reversion.
In my system, I cannot keep .NET (Aleg's suggestion) because I would exceed 3.9GB in the compacted vhd.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
tony

Post by tony »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:
tony wrote:Had a quick look at Alegs instructions above are they instead of Adolfo's suggestion or is that an addition?
___________________________________________________________________________________________
It's one or the other.
With my suggestion, just replace paste.exe and install the vc redist (actually, the KBs are not required). No AO reversion.
In my system, I cannot keep .NET (Aleg's suggestion) because I would exceed 3.9GB in the compacted vhd.
Thanks Adolfo will chance yours first!
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:My audio pc is headless and I would like to be able to make changes to the compacted system using Remote Desktop. I can boot it using a usb stick (as per "WinRam Installation Guide" from Horst) but the control pc can't find the audio pc.
Does anyone know if a vhd shrinked with VHD_W8_Compact loses Remote Desktop functionality?
If true, is it possible to restore this functionality?
Tks.

Adolfo
No VHD_W8_Compact does not loose RDP as I run my setup headless as well.
You would normally need to enable it before compacting .
If you didn't you can run from commandline: sysdm.cpl and do the settings.
You will have to do this in file-mode and not RAM-mode of course as the settings have to be made permanent inside the VHD.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:
adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:
It's one or the other.
Thanks Adolfo will chance yours first!

There's a whole load of other stuff than can be removed as well, freeing up additional space.
I never bothered as I don't need it, but on the German site aktives-hoeren.de where this OSRAM originated there is a posting by Fujak from a few months back (and an additional one by Uli Brueggeman) which lists this extra stuff that can be removed.

Cheers