Fanless Cooler

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: Fanless Cooler

Post by sima66 »

rickmcinnis wrote:sima,

Any man with stacked QUADs must be taken seriously.

mea culpa ...

I think when something weird makes something good happen you are on the right track.

Chunks of brass on the way ...
Rick, just for the record I didn't use the brass for the cooling purposes, but it will do some of that.
I have original Zuma case (can't remember what model is that) with the copper pipes that come with, for the passive cooling.
My believing was that there are micro-vibrations wherever are the circuits and current involved what can affect the sound.
Where is more current that in CPU?!
Maybe I'm right, or maybe I'm wrong, but it works and it is a cheap upgrade.

The best place where I used brass was on my amp's tubes.

Best,
Adam
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:I would think applying some extra pressure to the block/.cpu interface (I could not think of another word; makes me cringe, too) would be needed.

I will have to start looking for some brass chucks and see what happens. I certainly am skeptical of a heatsink that can sound like wind chimes. Which every one I have ever used could double as.
:) wind chimes! Definitely out now but will probably wimp out and put some kind of pipe arrangement. The ebay ones linked seem reasonably priced.
BTW I had a lump of granite on top of the brass with no issue but see the worry.
Tony, I will test the difference with and without the granite on top of the brass.
I never tried that, but from previous experiences, granite gives you the weight (in sound), but also a bit of fazines if is not controlled! Also it might take away the resonance of brass, which also might have a positive effect.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote:Tony, I will test the difference with and without the granite on top of the brass.
I never tried that, but from previous experiences, granite gives you the weight (in sound), but also a bit of fazines if is not controlled! Also it might take away the resonance of brass, which also might have a positive effect.
Probably this should be on the brass thread! I tried the granite on top of the brass simply because I had an offcut sample from our kitchen. Now I would make no claim simply because I don't have the time or inclination to check and compare everything but I believe in the logic and that is sufficient for me.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.