Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000, as you know the lesser A123s are no longer being manufactured.

Randy, I am keeping your blog in mind as I learn how to use this thing.

Thanks for your efforts,
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

rickmcinnis wrote:nige2000, as you know the lesser A123s are no longer being manufactured.

Randy, I am keeping your blog in mind as I learn how to use this thing.

Thanks for your efforts,
My blog? About PC's? The linear PS's I used in my PC are just OK, IMHO. For this DAC, sounds like it deserves better. I have some Salas shunt boards at home, so will likely try those.

I also came up with an idea this morning, wondering if a combination Linear and lifePO4 would work. To create 4V, you would need a 1V linear, connected in series to a battery set the 3V. Because new electronics need very low voltages, you can find little linears that will output 1V or something close to it.
So I wonder if this would still give you the advantage of a lifepo4?

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Randy,

You need to read nige2000's posts on building a music computer.

He describes a great scheme for using batteries below their rated voltage. I think you are onto the same idea.

I was looking at your description of the USB card - something nige2000 has done, also, but I must say to a very different quality level.

Your pictures gave me better insight into what goes where.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

rickmcinnis wrote:Randy,

You need to read nige2000's posts on building a music computer.

He describes a great scheme for using batteries below their rated voltage. I think you are onto the same idea.

I was looking at your description of the USB card - something nige2000 has done, also, but I must say to a very different quality level.

Your pictures gave me better insight into what goes where.
I have read many of Nigel's posts, but the dedicated audio PC thread is over 200 pages, and I haven't read all of it.
I think what Nigel has done is different from what I am proposing, but he can chime in if I'm wrong.

For my USB card, FYI the blog is now outdated and doesn't reflect the current setup. But the information as presented will work fine, I just made some further changes. And I know Nigel takes it further. Too many projects not enough time.

As an aside, during the day, I plan to go home and work on audio projects after dinner. Then I get home, eat, and end up doing other things instead. I also share my audio room with my teenage daughter, her treadmill is also in the room, so many nights I get kicked out of the room while she exercises.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

something like that?

btw

tried 8v-0-(-8) lifepo4
it is much much better than ac

dont bother with ac
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Yes, that's what I was thinking for the 4V supply.

I'm sure it will give you 4V, the question is how will it sound.

BTW, the minimum voltage you can get out of a LM317 type regulator is 1.2V, which is close enough I guess. Just set the battery/other regulator to 2.8V. Or use a different reg what will give you 1V.

Randy
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

randy,

I see I missed what you were getting at.

Not intending to belittle your efforts n any way. If you can be an audio obsessive and have a family you are far ahead of me. Don't know how you do it.

AND have to say I do not understand at all what nige2000 drew.

Please, a little more explanation, please!

SO, nige2000 are you saying you are using, only +- 8 volts inserted into the same place as one would use a transformer's output?

Does this make enough difference to make you a little happier with the sound as compared to the PCM1794?
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Guess I get it now - I guess that is a resistor with the + next to it?

BELLESON makes a 1.2 volts reg - would that be too much?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

lol
my doodles are as good as my videos
thats supposed to be the lifepo4 cell

anyway id imagine it could mostly work might put noise on gnd though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000 wrote:lol
my doodles are as good as my videos
thats supposed to be the lifepo4 cell

anyway id imagine it could mostly work might put noise on gnd though
The video was fuzzy. The drawing is clear but I cannot understand how you get 1 volt from the - terminal of the battery.

This really works?

Seems what we need is 1.2 volts and we need 3.3 volts - so do the batteries need to be charged to 4.5 volts?

AND +- 8 volts from the batteries is all one needs?

Those pins inside from the input voltage pins - are those for input or output voltages?