Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
randytsuch

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by randytsuch »

nige2000 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:43 pm Just wondering now did this guy actually do any experiments or did he just take an idea and ran with it

Bit rich coming from me but
Ps does seem really complicated and it needs serious justification to my mind
Guys an a$$. Greg wrote a really good response, its what I was thinking but too lazy to write lol

Don't pay him any attention.

I was also thinking about asking if it really sounds better if you turn off the ps, and just run off of cap, but I have a feeling he has already decided it you need to switch, with all of this complication. Plus it will depend on what you power with it, and the ps used, so too many variables anyway.
In the end, I guess we will need to try ourselves to see how these caps sound. Trust ian, which is why I brought this up in the first place.

When I asked if you really need to switch, they would not even consider the question.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I thought the Uptone Supercaps supply already did all of this as regards charging offline.

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:43 pm Just wondering now did this guy actually do any experiments or did he just take an idea and ran with it

Don't worry about seeming confrontational - that is coming from him, not from you

The question you asked is perfectly reasonable - does concurrently powering supcaps make a difference to the sound as running them completely disconnected from power?

From our experience with batteries it seems to make little to no difference but he seems to want the purist approach & anybody asking questions which seem to question the logic is a threat but such is the nature of fanatical conviction.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sligolad wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:14 pm I thought the Uptone Supercaps supply already did all of this as regards charging offline.
Yes, it does & as with any such approach a voltage regulator is needed on the supercap output to maintain a stable voltage - not an optimal solution, IMO, for best sound as I have found when compared direct battery power to battery power through a voltage regulator. Those who have compared my ISO-PS direct battery power to Uptone's Supercap supply say the ISO-PS is easily superior sounding which is not really surprising
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

randytsuch wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Guys an a$$. Greg wrote a really good response, its what I was thinking but too lazy to write lol

I was also thinking about asking if it really sounds better if you turn off the ps, and just run off of cap, but I have a feeling he has already decided it you need to switch, with all of this complication. Plus it will depend on what you power with it, and the ps used, so too many variables anyway.
In the end, I guess we will need to try ourselves to see how these caps sound. Trust ian, which is why I brought this up in the first place.

When I asked if you really need to switch, they would not even consider the question.

Randy
I tired Taiyo Yuden Lithium Ion Super Capacitors https://www.mouser.ie/new/Taiyo-Yuden/t ... apacitors/ a while ago because they could output 3.3V directly without using voltage regs. They are a hybrid of capacitor & a LiFePo4 battery.

I found no sonic difference using them to using LiFePO4 batteries but they had the same requirements as LifePO4 batteries - don't overcharge & don't allow caps to go below ~2V . They were about the same price or more expensive than LiFePO4 batteries so no real advantage I could find
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:18 pm
Sligolad wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:14 pm I thought the Uptone Supercaps supply already did all of this as regards charging offline.
Yes, it does & as with any such approach a voltage regulator is needed on the supercap output to maintain a stable voltage - not an optimal solution, IMO, for best sound as I have found when compared direct battery power to battery power through a voltage regulator. Those who have compared my ISO-PS direct battery power to Uptone's Supercap supply say the ISO-PS is easily superior sounding which is not really surprising
anything ive tested with a regulator post batteries caused a sq bottleneck, cant see how supercaps would be any different
so basically what this guy built is a uptone supercap ps clone?

which its implementation makes little sense to me

i would have thought a supercap ps best chance of good sq
is constant charging from low noise reg with no regulation post capacitors
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Don't worry about seeming confrontational - that is coming from him, not from you

The question you asked is perfectly reasonable - does concurrently powering supcaps make a difference to the sound as running them completely disconnected from power?

From our experience with batteries it seems to make little to no difference but he seems to want the purist approach & anybody asking questions which seem to question the logic is a threat but such is the nature of fanatical conviction.
im not worried bout it
just when i read my posts back i can see how it can be misinterpreted
im sure hes done himself more harm
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Randy

I tired Taiyo Yuden Lithium Ion Super Capacitors https://www.mouser.ie/new/Taiyo-Yuden/t ... apacitors/ a while ago because they could output 3.3V directly without using voltage regs. They are a hybrid of capacitor & a LiFePo4 battery.

I found no sonic difference using them to using LiFePO4 batteries but they had the same requirements as LifePO4 batteries - don't overcharge & don't allow caps to go below ~2V . They were about the same price or more expensive than LiFePO4 batteries so no real advantage I could find
on a cost basis its hard for any of it to make sense
only way to do it is to buy two caps for a test
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Randy

I tired Taiyo Yuden Lithium Ion Super Capacitors https://www.mouser.ie/new/Taiyo-Yuden/t ... apacitors/ (they can't be purchased outside Japan now) a while ago because they could output 3.3V directly without using voltage regs. They are a hybrid of capacitor & a LiFePo4 battery.

I have about 10 or more of the Taiyo Yuden caps if you want to experiment but they are not the ones being referenced on DIYA.

If you want to borrow them to experiment, you're welcome but be careful, they are damaged by dropping below ~2V or above 3.8v
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm
nige2000 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:44 pm

I tired Taiyo Yuden Lithium Ion Super Capacitors https://www.mouser.ie/new/Taiyo-Yuden/t ... apacitors/ (they can't be purchased outside Japan now) a while ago because they could output 3.3V directly without using voltage regs. They are a hybrid of capacitor & a LiFePo4 battery.

I have about 10 or more of the Taiyo Yuden caps if you want to experiment but they are not the ones being referenced on DIYA.

If you want to borrow them to experiment, you're welcome but be careful, they are damaged by dropping below ~2V or above 3.8v
my collection of electronic clutter is also quite expansive
ive some of those lifepo4 caps here too