Daphile

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Daphile

Post by Fran »

Thought I'd give this a go today - I've been meaning to try it out for ages but never got around to it. I know that Gordon's player probably sounds better, but I wanted something to run on an older linux based laptop... and SQ, while important, wasn't the first choice.

Anyway, I got it installed easily enough onto a USB stick, connected to its hotspot and got her running. Have to say it runs very well, seems to play anything I throw at it and sounds pretty OK. Better than any of the stock linux players I tried anyway. Remote control off the phone is a bonus as well.

Just posting this here as a marker and I suppose to see if anyone else is using it.

fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Re: Daphile

Post by nige2000 »

Tested it last year easily the best Linux for audio I've tested
Likely give jplay a run for the money
Lacks the mqn magic of soundstage atmosphere and micro detail
Definetly a good option for midrange audio PCs especially with the remote on the laptop or phone/tablet
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yeah, thats the impression I get too. Sounds impressive on headphones though where that resolution of soundstage is not as easy to delineate. Impressive enough detail and lacks harshness, always a good thing.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

So, I'm running the geek out from a (too underrated) battery supply, taking it off the Daphile laptop power supply. There is a clear jump in SQ, resonance in spaces etc....

A better supply (both the LiFePO4 batteries and a higher capacity Li) would have to help....

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

is that the little red yoke that gets real hot?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

yup,

and bear in mind I'm only working with headphones so far...

and a look inside:

nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

that little bugger could be working of 3.3v
if it is there'll be a little sq in a bypass
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

sabre 9018 just can't remember the output chip.

Haven't tried 3.3v ...... yet!!!

More progress though, I have it connected to my wireless network, also working off a phone app, and currently ripping a CD using the gracenote database for metadata and I think it uses accuraterip as well. This might be a very good solution for anyone who wants to go the CA route in a simple reversible way.

Getting more imrpessed as I spend more time with it.

Fran
Claus

Post by Claus »

This Daphile has me very frustrated: I cannot get it to find my NAS! It found the local USB disk no problem and plays just fine...
I have enabled nfs in my My Book World Edition and tried ANY combination of ip and or drive name etc... Anyone with any ideas?
Claus

Post by Claus »

Ok, so I got it working finally! Here is what I did for my WD MyBook World Edition:
Under "Settings" go to "Storage".
Under "Network drives" click "add new CIFS"
Type in "admin@NASip:/share/" not the actual "music folder".... as I thought...
If you have password on your NAS you can enter this in the password field.
I found it very hard to find out how my NAS was actually configured, but I did not need to enter a password!

Finally remember to select your audio device in "settings".
Working great now that it is set up. I will do a comparison to JRiver tonight.
Thanks Fran, for pointing me to this player!