Headphone Recommendations ?

ConorW

Headphone Recommendations ?

Post by ConorW »

Hi
I know several members dropped in for a listening session at Fran's house. Would have gone along but unfortunately had another commitment that day.

Since there was a focus on headphones I was looking for some recommendations in the price range €300-500. I would use them mainly at home so light weight, portable feature is not too important.

Any suggestions? What features should I be looking for?

Thanks
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Modest

Re: Headphone Recommendations ?

Post by Modest »

2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The stock answer is always AKG701 or Sennheiser HD650...

There's a guy on adverts at the moment selling a pair of Grado SR80 for reasonable money too. I never liked the fit/comfort of Grados, but loads of people like them so its probably me. I think the sennheiser momentums are good enough too and run to about 200 new...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
paulb

Post by paulb »

Google boards.ie richer sounds ... (The Feb offers)they have some grado for good prices the 325 i heard and are really good and they also have some rs2, senh 650, a good place to start
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I have both Grado SR125 and Sennheiser HD 580 headphones and I find the sound quality similar through either. There's no doubt the the big soft pads on the Sennheisers make them more comfortable but the hard coarse sponge on Grados is surprisingly comfortable too! Obviously a lot depends on amps and music choice but I'd give the Grados a slight edge on sound quality. Drop down for a listen if you want but they're both a few years old!

ImageImage
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

+1 for AGK701, The brand new 701s should be plugged into some radio receiver and locked in a wardrobe - they need to play for a month before use :)

Fran wrote:The stock answer is always AKG701 or Sennheiser HD650...

There's a guy on adverts at the moment selling a pair of Grado SR80 for reasonable money too. I never liked the fit/comfort of Grados, but loads of people like them so its probably me. I think the sennheiser momentums are good enough too and run to about 200 new...

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

frd1996 wrote:+1 for AGK701, The brand new 701s should be plugged into some radio receiver and locked in a wardrobe - they need to play for a month before use :)

Fran wrote:The stock answer is always AKG701 or Sennheiser HD650...

Fran
there's the odd pair s/h knocking about
thats what i did as it saves the burning in period
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Thanks for all the good advice. Very helpful
I will be in the US in a couple of weeks so may try to pick up some there if the price is right.

Ivor - I'll take you up on the offer to have a quick listen to the Grado and Sennheiser. i'll text you.
Thanks
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

ConorW wrote:
Ivor - I'll take you up on the offer to have a quick listen to the Grado and Sennheiser. i'll text you.
Thanks
Conor
Yeah, no problem, just bear in mind these are mid range and a few years old!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
paulb

Post by paulb »

Grados would be a lot cheaper in the US