MoBo Memory Power Bypass

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
minionas

Re: MoBo Memory Power Bypass

Post by minionas »

Thanks Sligolad! It seams a beafy one is needed for such task:)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Yes that seems about right
Surprised me when I tested it

If you consider ordinary setups with dirty power having two sticks instead of one can be counter productive

Shouldn't matter with ram mod though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Put a 100f supercap on the ram without external power
Just mounted on the underside of the mobo cap
Nice improvement in space atmosphere etc
Gut feeling is that it may be improved more with external supply from previous experience
But definetly thumps up to retro fitting supercap though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Is that one of those 2.7v chappies you posted about earlier Nige?

Does it just get charged up to whatever voltage is coming off the Memory supply switcher?
Not too well up on Caps here except that then can go BANG with some good sonics and give you a right wallop if you are not carefull with them :-))

Post by nige2000 »

Yea I got them ones too but I got 100r maxwells too which I put in first cause their a nicer color
Anyway left the PC on all day Dont know if its burn in or what cause this is a different beast
Fast, punchy assertive deep and wide
Separation and clarity is excellent
Think this mod should be done as standard
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

Hey Nige, from where did you obtain these supercaps?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

http://www.mouser.ie/ProductDetail/Maxw ... qSju8oc%3d

also worth mentioning is the quality of the cymbals
re-listened to a bunch of stuff

sorry took no pics
as it would have doubled the install time :)
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

nige2000 wrote:Yea I got them ones too but I got 100r maxwells too which I put in first cause their a nicer color
Anyway left the PC on all day Dont know if its burn in or what cause this is a different beast
Fast, punchy assertive deep and wide
Separation and clarity is excellent
Think this mod should be done as standard
Cool just ordered 2 of them.
Not surprised with the improvement over time as capacitors always seem to really give much more when they have had time to get conditioned and full charged.

So no resistors needed just solder onto the existing choke connections, solder negative to incoming and positive to outgoing or vica versa??
Do not want to blow another Mobo :-(

Post by goon-heaven »

Sligolad wrote: So no resistors needed just solder onto the existing choke connections, solder negative to incoming and positive to outgoing or vica versa??
Do not want to blow another Mobo :-(
No! Caps are connected in parallel to (or across) supply rails, not in series. (Chokes are connected in series.)
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

goon-heaven wrote: No! Caps are connected in parallel to (or across) supply rails, not in series. (Chokes are connected in series.)
Thanks for that GH....definitely need to do some swotting to get my self up to speed before I attemp this!
I think i see now why Nige went across the Cap with tighter pinout instead of the choke.