MoBo Memory Power Bypass

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: MoBo Memory Power Bypass

Post by rickmcinnis »

This might be the answer for the memory regulator:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/405/slvu143-95300.pdf

The evaluation module would make it easy. 3 amps output.

Pretty simple to adjust output voltage.

Uses both the 3.3 and the 5 volts rails, which are readily available, for highest thermal efficiency.

I put one on order. No idea what size the thing is.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

I have performed the bypass using a Teradak 5VDC 3A LPSU and a supercapacitor KAMCAP 100F.
My mobo is a MSI H81M-E33 and it was very easy to remove the choke.
Only the LPSU has already given a SQ improvement in bass detail and overall smoothness.
The supercapacitor improved SQ again, with more details and tonal accuracy.
For sure, music sounds more real.
Highly recommended.
Thanks to Sligolad and nige2000.

WARNING: in the picture below, the cap polarity is inverted. The cap might explode if powered this way.

Last edited by adolfo.a.aguiar on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Cool
must sound pretty good now
We sure bought a lot of them audio wind regs

Pity the supercaps can't take higher voltages
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Nice idea for the installation of the super-cap Adolfo, I still have 2 of them sitting on my desk and never got around to installing them as I was going to follow Nige's method of removing the existing Cap and soldering it on the board.
Your solution is a no-brainer for me so I will try that in the coming days.
Cheers, Pearse.

I'm a bit concerned with the high temperatures that the Teradak 5V/3A is achieving.
I have two Kingston KVR16N11/8 8G memory sticks dialed down to 800MHz and 1.4V.
Do you think I should upgrade to a higher current capacity LPSU?
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Its the drop from 5v to 1.4v that's causing the heat if you had a 3v transformer to feed the audio wind reg would relieve the issue make sure its fit for the amperage
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
adolfo.a.aguiar

nige2000 wrote:Its the drop from 5v to 1.4v that's causing the heat if you had a 3v transformer to feed the audio wind reg would relieve the issue make sure its fit for the amperage
It was actually the Teradak that was getting too hot, so I raised its output voltage to 6.5V and now the temp is OK.
The Audio Wind reg gets a bit hotter but I can still touch it.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Question for both Adolfo and Nige?

Is the Supercap installed correctly on the Regulator in the picture above as from reading Nige's earlier post the Negative ground on Caps is marked with the bar down the side.
From looking at the Pic above the Positive of the Kamcap is on the Negative out from the Audio Wind Regulator.
Is that correct???

Tempted to stick it in but I have blown too many Mobo's in the past year!!
Cheers,
Pearse.

Post by Sligolad »

Did some research on Google and went with the reverse install of the Supercap with negative to negative and vica versa and the sound is amazing.
Stuck the Maxwell Supercap that Nige used on the output and I am hearing some great body and detail, an easy mod that sounds great.

Post by nige2000 »

yes pearse it doesnt look right

Adolfo check the polarity on your cap the polarity looks a little dubious from this angle

love the simplicity of your super cap mod Pearse its even less time consuming than mine:)