Graaf Jadis Kharma Deliciousness

DaveF

Re: Graaf Jadis Kharma Deliciousness

Post by DaveF »

ah I knew you'd make an appearance Steve. Any discussion of Jadis seems to do it. lol
Would love to get a listen to your system sometime over the next few months although I'll be green with envy when leaving your gaff probably.
I'll certainly try those Kt120s in my amp once I get my speakers sorted. But first it needs to go head to head with Tony's one.
I think we'll be having a shootout at some stage: Graafs vs Jadis DA88s vs Jadis DA50s through both Quad 57s and Kharmas.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
james

Post by james »

DaveF wrote:
Next up was my dreaded Italian Oboe Concertos Vol 2, Track 4. Lots of strings and wind instruments in this one, a lot going on at once. This has challenged most systems I've had to date with the exception of the Usher/Gamut combo. To my surprise the Kharma/Graafs kept everything in check. This recording does indeed sail close to the wind at times and occassionally the wind instruments do indeed sear but this was always the nature of this recording.
Could you tell us what actual recording this is .. thanks.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

james wrote:
DaveF wrote:
Next up was my dreaded Italian Oboe Concertos Vol 2, Track 4. Lots of strings and wind instruments in this one, a lot going on at once. This has challenged most systems I've had to date with the exception of the Usher/Gamut combo. To my surprise the Kharma/Graafs kept everything in check. This recording does indeed sail close to the wind at times and occassionally the wind instruments do indeed sear but this was always the nature of this recording.
Could you tell us what actual recording this is .. thanks.

James
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp ... e=8.554772
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
james

Post by james »

Thanks
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
fergus

Post by fergus »

A very interesting read gents.
Nice to see you back Dave!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Derek

Post by Derek »

I love the thread, I only know too well the difficultly in making these type of comparisons.
I always liked the Jadis sound and fell for the Graff when I listened to a very low powered unit (3 or 4 watts) in Cloneys about a hundred years ago.
Can I ask do your respective amps need much warming up?
As the owner of an Airtight I know that it needs at least 20 minutes before getting to grips with serious music reproduction, and really into it's own when fully warmed to the task.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The Graafs reach a good level very quickly and maybe give a small change over 45 minutes or so. My limited experience with Jadis suggests that it's still improving after a few hours! We gave everything a decent chance to warm up on the night, but you know yourself!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Post by Derek »

Diapason wrote:The Graafs reach a good level very quickly and maybe give a small change over 45 minutes or so. My limited experience with Jadis suggests that it's still improving after a few hours! We gave everything a decent chance to warm up on the night, but you know yourself!
Yes I do!
The Airtight really finds it's legs after 50 minutes or there abouts.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Derek wrote:
The Airtight really finds it's legs after 50 minutes or there abouts.

That would be about the same for the Jadis DA 5 Derek.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I do love these threads.... lots of hardware, odd music and honest opinions...

just to point out the bloody obvious, after all it's what I do, the 57s would need a fair amount of charging up too to really sing.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable