Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:An old favourite....well not that old really...

The Orb..... Baghdad Batteries.....on the TT atm....

I bought that LP in a shop down in Temple Bar....one of those side streets....can't remember the name...comet or something....anyway he's gone now...gone a few years at this stage unfortunately.
Love the cover :)

Stopped following them a while ago especially after the awful 'Metallic Spheres' album.

They've made a lot of albums since then but nothing to reignite the old spark? Am I missing out I wonder?
cybot

Post by cybot »

A perennial favourite of mine both in sound and music. Modern classical, Minimal, experimental.....

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ah Dermot Metallic Spheres I thought was one of the best albums....a very 3 Dimensional album....remember David Gilmour was a guest on that one.

Lee Scratch Perry was another guest....as was Feldman ( I think).... You have to look at it as a journey the band takes exploring different nuances as time changes etc.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:Ah Dermot Metallic Spheres I thought was one of the best albums....a very 3 Dimensional album....remember David Gilmour was a guest on that one.

Lee Scratch Perry was another guest....as was Feldman ( I think).... You have to look at it as a journey the band takes exploring different nuances as time changes etc.
Ah well just goes to show you Adrian :) The sonics are stunning alright but........I don't know it's too much of a safe comfortable journey. Comfortably Numb ;)

The new one is supposed to be a return to form - Moonbuilding 2703 AD
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes Moonbuilding... I must have a closer listen later on this week......

This arrived in the door this morning.... Cold Waves of Colour 81-85 ...

From BoomKat...

Must-have collection of English post-punk rarities, sourced from the legendary Color Tapes label, remastered by Denis Blackham, all presented on vinyl for the first time! Emerging from that incredibly influential wormhole that opened somewhere between the late '70s and mid '80s, the Color Tapes (subsequently Color Discs) label was the brainchild of Gary Ramon, who, inspired by the Fxxk Off Tapes and Weird Noise labels, and attendance at an early Depeche Mode show, was prompted to start the label as an outlet for his own music and a like-minded gaggle of miscreants with drum machines, 4-track recorders, and an urge to make. It's highly likely that these tracks have been barely heard beyond their original 100 edition tape pressings in the early '80s, and thusly this is a bit of treasure trove, especially when considering the quality of the remasters, making the likes of Beserk In A Hayfield's bare bones disco wreckers, 'Tease' and 'Code', or the shuddering, ascetic coldwave of Disintegrators' 'Beyond Reason' bite sharper than ever. This is the reelest deal for people into Minimal Wave, Dark Entries, OG wave music. Don't sleep!

Courtesy of https://boomkat.com/products/cold-waves ... or-1981-85

and another quote... this time from staff member Brian.... on Norman Records...

"One of the best selling Minimal electro comps we've ever had on pre order. A vinyl assemblage of some of the highlights of the largely unknown Color Tapes/Disc label, one that ran from the early to late 80's. As far as UK underground electro, industrial bedroom funk and weird synth pop goes this obscure imprint is amazingly sought after and seemed to be a breeding ground for some pretty timeless and amazing stuff.

I'll be brief here as the last time I reviewed a compilation I wrote an essay as I felt awful leaving anybody out. You all matter, you DIY pop dudes, even though you may now work in a bank, be a grandfather/mother, a homeless lush or just be stone cold dead. Rest assured though, this set gets my highest possible recommendation, the appealing thing being that unlike many collections of European cold wave & minimal machine pop, there's nothing particularly familiar here (no classic "hits" yo) apart from the shimmering icy melodies and fiercely aloof analogue rhythms. Many tunes here are incredibly addictive, timeless and catchy. Some tracks have a spot of processed guitar or bass to give them a more human dimension but the majority of treats (and I mean treats) to be had here are of the massively pleasing variety.

As is often the case, it's the instrumental tracks that make the biggest impression. So many astonishing songs were ruined back in the day by some fool's attempt at a ham-fisted robotic/detached vocal. When blokes that can't sing try to disguise their voice with gadgets it just makes them sound even more rubbish. Thankfully only a couple of tracks here are even remotely tinged with that sort of oral regret. Easily one of the most pleasing from a genre that could be mined literally until the walls fall in. I can never get enough. Put out by the original label itself, I look forward to more archive stuff."

Courtesy of Brian (Team Norman)... on Norman Records...https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... -of-color-
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:Yes Moonbuilding... I must have a closer listen later on this week......

This arrived in the door this morning.... Cold Waves of Colour 81-85 ...

From BoomKat...

Must-have collection of English post-punk rarities, sourced from the legendary Color Tapes label, remastered by Denis Blackham, all presented on vinyl for the first time! Emerging from that incredibly influential wormhole that opened somewhere between the late '70s and mid '80s, the Color Tapes (subsequently Color Discs) label was the brainchild of Gary Ramon, who, inspired by the Fxxk Off Tapes and Weird Noise labels, and attendance at an early Depeche Mode show, was prompted to start the label as an outlet for his own music and a like-minded gaggle of miscreants with drum machines, 4-track recorders, and an urge to make. It's highly likely that these tracks have been barely heard beyond their original 100 edition tape pressings in the early '80s, and thusly this is a bit of treasure trove, especially when considering the quality of the remasters, making the likes of Beserk In A Hayfield's bare bones disco wreckers, 'Tease' and 'Code', or the shuddering, ascetic coldwave of Disintegrators' 'Beyond Reason' bite sharper than ever. This is the reelest deal for people into Minimal Wave, Dark Entries, OG wave music. Don't sleep!

Courtesy of https://boomkat.com/products/cold-waves ... or-1981-85

and another quote... this time from staff member Brian.... on Norman Records...

"One of the best selling Minimal electro comps we've ever had on pre order. A vinyl assemblage of some of the highlights of the largely unknown Color Tapes/Disc label, one that ran from the early to late 80's. As far as UK underground electro, industrial bedroom funk and weird synth pop goes this obscure imprint is amazingly sought after and seemed to be a breeding ground for some pretty timeless and amazing stuff.

I'll be brief here as the last time I reviewed a compilation I wrote an essay as I felt awful leaving anybody out. You all matter, you DIY pop dudes, even though you may now work in a bank, be a grandfather/mother, a homeless lush or just be stone cold dead. Rest assured though, this set gets my highest possible recommendation, the appealing thing being that unlike many collections of European cold wave & minimal machine pop, there's nothing particularly familiar here (no classic "hits" yo) apart from the shimmering icy melodies and fiercely aloof analogue rhythms. Many tunes here are incredibly addictive, timeless and catchy. Some tracks have a spot of processed guitar or bass to give them a more human dimension but the majority of treats (and I mean treats) to be had here are of the massively pleasing variety.

As is often the case, it's the instrumental tracks that make the biggest impression. So many astonishing songs were ruined back in the day by some fool's attempt at a ham-fisted robotic/detached vocal. When blokes that can't sing try to disguise their voice with gadgets it just makes them sound even more rubbish. Thankfully only a couple of tracks here are even remotely tinged with that sort of oral regret. Easily one of the most pleasing from a genre that could be mined literally until the walls fall in. I can never get enough. Put out by the original label itself, I look forward to more archive stuff."

Courtesy of Brian (Team Norman)... on Norman Records...https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... -of-color-
Brilliantly quirky and by virtual unknowns too. Nice one Adrian.....If you like this then you should like the two in my next post especially the first one :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Dalek i's very first album is most definitely one of my all time favourite debut early electro pop albums....I remember picking it up for 3.99 in old money from Mary Street's Golden Disc bargain box after reading David Kavanagh's 5 star review in the weekly Sounds rag.....

The 808 double is a stunning tour de force too but completely different to the above. Brutal beats rule and then some......

http://robinparmar.com/dalek-i-love-you.html

Three sublime Dalek cuts:

808 w/B.Sumner
tipdrinker

Post by tipdrinker »

really enjoying leftfields latest effort, alternative light source. dark and heavy.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Matmos..... CD...

from Wikipedia...

Matmos is the 1997 debut album of American electronic music duo Matmos. The album features field recordings of everyday activities as well as more unusual things, such as nerve activity of a crayfish, on "Verber: amplified synapse".

The album is of an experimental nature and has elements of different genres of electronic music such as drum 'n bass, minimal techno and glitch.

Definitively experimental, I bought it on a whim.... very complex to put a description on it.... in fact words failed me..... but the description from Wikipedia sums it up.

Some of the Matmos stuff is good.. however some of it is too far to the left / experimental for me. Still M.C. Schmidt and Drew Daniel make a creative duo indeed.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Currently on the TT.... epic45.... Drakelow... dark ambient.... relaxing

"Drakelow" is the new 26-minute EP by Epic45. Written in response to a visit that two of the band undertook to an abandoned underground military complex, the sound captures perfectly the spirit and atmosphere of the surroundings that inspired it. "Drakelow" evokes a dark, brooding menace as deep drones and cavernous reverberations engulf the listener. The music is by turns dense and claustrophobic, nostalgic and full of longing. Best played at night, in the dark, on headphones, the EP is profoundly and deeply affecting. If you're after musical comparisons, there are certain similarities with the 'isolationist' school of ambient or the alien soundscapes of Biosphere and Fennesz. This is not purely mood music however, as tracks like "English Clock Systems" and "They Cut Into The Hill" ably demonstrate, Epic45 can weave sublime melodies. What is clear is that Epic45 have excelled themselves and pushed their music into new and unexpected territories.

Courtesy of http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/produc ... 39870.html