Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by markof »

tony wrote:Probably posted this before can't remember. Very nice mellow piano and sounds from Monsieur Eno

Big thumbs up!
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Just discovered that one of my friends put together some ambient electronica at some point in his life. I think it's worth a listen, but then again I'm biased:

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/bands/SCHTAT
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

sebna

Post by sebna »

Took me on great journey last Saturday night

http://www.discogs.com/JFC-The-Timerewi ... lease/1229
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
cybot

Post by cybot »

sebna wrote:Took me on great journey last Saturday night

http://www.discogs.com/JFC-The-Timerewi ... lease/1229
Nice one sebna....

Have you ever heard of Carlston Nicolai aka Alva Noto? His more subtle Xerrox series are good for journeys :)Vol. 2 & 3 especially.....
sebna

Post by sebna »

No, never heard his music before. Will try those albums. Thanks
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Matt Christensen. A cradle in the Bowery

Under The SpireRecordings

http://www.underthespire.co.uk/

Matt Christensen of Chicago’s premier pastoral bliss inducers Zelienople ventures out on his own with this triumphant set of dedications to his young daughter. Siphoning strains of melancholic Americana through the trancelike prisms of groups such as Spaceman 3 and Galaxie 500, he creates swirling vistas on tracks such as mesmeric opener Someday I Won’t Matter that’ll be familiar to his group’s many admirers. But elsewhere Christensen pares back the layers to reveal this beautiful album’s emotive, breathing core, baring pellucid folk patinas that recall everyone from Nick Drake to Damon & Naomi, all shrouded in Christensen’s distinctive, nebulous veil.

Featuring contributions from Type head honcho/Xela stud John Twells, as well as post-production wizardry from Pete Jørgensen, A Cradle In The Bowery marks a milestone in the catalogue of the burgeoning Under The Spire imprint and documents a pivotal stage in Christensen’s own personal journey and continuing evolution as an artist.

Source http://www.brainwashed.com/index.php?op ... 2:buzz-bin
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:Matt Christensen. A cradle in the Bowery

Under The SpireRecordings

http://www.underthespire.co.uk/

Matt Christensen of Chicago’s premier pastoral bliss inducers Zelienople ventures out on his own with this triumphant set of dedications to his young daughter. Siphoning strains of melancholic Americana through the trancelike prisms of groups such as Spaceman 3 and Galaxie 500, he creates swirling vistas on tracks such as mesmeric opener Someday I Won’t Matter that’ll be familiar to his group’s many admirers. But elsewhere Christensen pares back the layers to reveal this beautiful album’s emotive, breathing core, baring pellucid folk patinas that recall everyone from Nick Drake to Damon & Naomi, all shrouded in Christensen’s distinctive, nebulous veil.

Featuring contributions from Type head honcho/Xela stud John Twells, as well as post-production wizardry from Pete Jørgensen, A Cradle In The Bowery marks a milestone in the catalogue of the burgeoning Under The Spire imprint and documents a pivotal stage in Christensen’s own personal journey and continuing evolution as an artist.

Source http://www.brainwashed.com/index.php?op ... 2:buzz-bin
Very nice indeed. Love the sleeve. Welcome back Adrian :)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks Dermot, it has been a while indeed. Things have been hectic of late, however the good times can and do return.

Currently listening to Leftfield... Alternative Light Source...

Good review here...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... of-texture

The world has changed in the 16 years since the release of Leftfield’s last studio album, 1999’s Rhythm and Stealth. The former duo is now a one-man band in the shape of Neil Barnes, the music industry the band succeeded in charming is moribund, and dance music, subsumed into the mainstream partly through the band’s own success (remember the Guinness advert?) has been a busted flush for a good decade.

The group were always among the real innovators of the scene with their absorption of dub and other genres and their combination of the cerebral with in-your-face bass. The new record doesn’t really break any moulds but it is a masterpiece of texture. Opener Bad Radio ends up sounding almost like fellow innovators Future Sound of London and the crunchy synth line in the break of the seven-minute Universal Everything is spine-tingling. Dark Matters builds over a submarine kick drum and marimba without you really noticing. As for standouts, the rising and filtering-up synth lines, repeated builds and impressionistic vocals from Channy Leaneagh of Poliça on Little Fish should make it a live favourite; Shaker Obsession has an irresistible drive; and the lassitude, scurf and attitude of Sleaford Mods’s Jason Williamson are the making of the unsettling Head and Shoulders.

Courtesy of Molly Woodcraft... Guardian June 2015.

My own impressions... not the same as the previous stuff, however the word texture used above is a good description.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:Thanks Dermot, it has been a while indeed. Things have been hectic of late, however the good times can and do return.

Currently listening to Leftfield... Alternative Light Source...

Good review here...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... of-texture

The world has changed in the 16 years since the release of Leftfield’s last studio album, 1999’s Rhythm and Stealth. The former duo is now a one-man band in the shape of Neil Barnes, the music industry the band succeeded in charming is moribund, and dance music, subsumed into the mainstream partly through the band’s own success (remember the Guinness advert?) has been a busted flush for a good decade.

The group were always among the real innovators of the scene with their absorption of dub and other genres and their combination of the cerebral with in-your-face bass. The new record doesn’t really break any moulds but it is a masterpiece of texture. Opener Bad Radio ends up sounding almost like fellow innovators Future Sound of London and the crunchy synth line in the break of the seven-minute Universal Everything is spine-tingling. Dark Matters builds over a submarine kick drum and marimba without you really noticing. As for standouts, the rising and filtering-up synth lines, repeated builds and impressionistic vocals from Channy Leaneagh of Poliça on Little Fish should make it a live favourite; Shaker Obsession has an irresistible drive; and the lassitude, scurf and attitude of Sleaford Mods’s Jason Williamson are the making of the unsettling Head and Shoulders.

Courtesy of Molly Woodcraft... Guardian June 2015.

My own impressions... not the same as the previous stuff, however the word texture used above is a good description.
Your post reminded me to have a listen to the album. Doesn't work. Something missing. End of review.