Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Volume 2....

Second installment in the seminal series of intimate albums from Roedelius. 'Selbstportrait Vol.II' was originally released in 1980, a year after its predecessor and hasn't been reissued since. Arguably, this is some of the most sublime electronic music ever written, documenting a vintage solo streak from the Cluster and Harmonia co-founder. The heartbreakingly fragile 'Tee für die Geisha' and the pastoral bliss of 'Alle Jahre Wieder' are just two reasons why this album should be a part of any electronic music fiend's collection. Essential.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

An oddity... I like oddities :)
A Kurt Wagner project (with some Lambchop members) delving into electronic soundscapes... picked up on red vinyl (on a recommendation) in HEAD liffey Valley for a mere €5.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Not sure if I posted this here before, did not show up on a search.

Ben Fleury-Steiner. The Places that Find you.

On white Wax.

From Low Point...

“First impressions pull closer, strings and fizzles fall, carrying you, reaching further and ending up in an all-new place. Time is simple and less than a moment, with the lasting habit of a worn-out keepsake but nonetheless you are still immediately there again, inside those open arms and a world you have always dreamed of.

In homage to minimalism and imagination, 'The Places That Find You' by Ben Fleury-Steiner embodies an ultimate trance, the ability to connect directly with the listener and the truth behind the feeling of music from the heart. Far away but incredibly close, the five tracks forming this album never return to the ordinary but move, invert and grow, through time-lapse expressions and faded visions.

Some listeners want to be transported to other places through music, whilst others hear the technical artistry and find inspiration to delve deeper into the creative process. Without any direction and by simply following your own natural instincts, 'The Places That Find You' is a guide that places you instantly, allowing each listener to find more, not only through the music but from inside themselves.” Will Long, September 2011

Ben Fleury-Steiner is a Delaware-based composer, published author and owner of the Gears Of Sand label. Drawing upon his deep love of minimalism and influenced by the work of Mirror, Jonathan Coleclough and Tim Hecker, 'The Places That Find You ' was recorded over a two year period between 2009 to 2011.

The recording process made use of a mixture of instrumentation, including the use of the kalimba (the traditional name for a thumb piano) and the various sounds produced when played in the manner of a prepared guitar, coupled with more modern electronic instruments including effects pedals and synths.

released October 24, 2011

Courtesy of Low point
https://lowpoint.bandcamp.com/album/the ... t-find-you

My own impression, wholeheartedly agree with the above, perhaps one of the smoothest, deepest rumblings of pure ambient drone with perfectly timed crescendos / decrescendos currently in my arsenal atm
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Nice one Adrian! Have just ordered my vinyl edition :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Have just ordered this. It looks like a kind of 'best of'. Love Keith's notes below.

I’ve always thought it’d be really cool to have someone write something smart and poetic about a release of ours, but here I am again trying to type this out myself and not have it be boring and embarrassing. I don’t know, I guess I’ll just be blunt and direct and hit “send” ASAP.

Music for Small Ensemble & Computer is a collection of what I call the “DIY shitty classical” pieces me and Linda have been working on for a couple years. Using an inherited piano, freeware, and the basement floorcore spirit of discovery to trespass into a typically more rarefied style. And thankfully a few actually-trained friends lent their skills to the mess.

To me, it’s the sound of the two of us struggling to find peace and stability for ourselves, family, and small community in an often chaotic and hostile world.

I’m really excited about this collection. We previously released these pieces on as-limited-as-possible 12” runs and went through them very quickly, so it’s cool that MIE is giving them a wider issue. Linda and I have made quite a few records now, but to me this is really the closest to being “us”. Put a headphone jack in my tombstone and have this playing. Does any of this make any sense?

-- Keith Freund.

Released on 5th May 2017.

http://mie.limitedrun.com/news/posts/81 ... e-computer
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

You won't be disappointed Dermot, that Ben Fleury Stiller Album is pure masterclass.

I'm currently listening to Tycho... Awake Remixes.

Very enjoyable, most mellodic and eminently out there.

As I mentioned in my previous post from a few days ago - Tycho has and will be shaping music for years. However, now it's time to look beyond the art of Scott and focus on 9 other amazing artists who have shared with us their vision on Awake. If you haven't had the chance - stream and read the review of the original record here.

15th of January marks the official release of Awake (Remixes) via Ghostly International - one of the most hard working and admirable labels right now.

So, a lot of the remixes have been gradually released over the course of the last year and ofc we managed to catch up on most of them. It's really hard to say which ones are my favourite as all those artists have very different approach on how to span out of the original composition.

I really feel I should give credit to each and everyone on the people behind this seriously amazing release - Com Truise, Christopher Willits, Dusty Brown, Nitemoves, Beacon, RJD2, Bibio, Baio and Few Nolder.

The tracks which are new for me are "L" by Dusty Brown, Dye by Nitemoves and Few Nolder's sweet techno/electro rendition of "Montana".

Not a fan of the track-by-track review, plus we've written or singled out a lot of these tracks before. I just would like to focus on the incredible depth of electronic music and technology nowadays. Take the original Awake, listen to it. Then go for the remixes. While a lot of the elements and messages of the original soundscapes are being preserves, personally I had a feeling of exploring a whole new album ahead of me.

The thing I like the most is the very polar vibes from various remixes. Take Bibio's remix of "Spectre" which is somehow very vintage and ... Beacon's re-work of "See". So polar, yet somehow interconnected.

Also, the fact that so many talented people have taken someone's work and put effort and passion into it - must be so heart-warming. I can only imagine the Tycho team's honour.

Support good music - order the album here.

Courtesty of Ivo on Stereofox.
https://www.stereofox.com/album-review- ... e-remixes/
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm fond of that Tycho album, myself and Steve listened to it a lot on our Jadis road trip.

I've been listening to Doctor Rockit a lot recently (is this Electronica? I suppose it is.)

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:55 pm You won't be disappointed Dermot, that Ben Fleury Stiller Album is pure masterclass.
I think you'll like this one Adrian. It's also on Low Point records. I checked my own vinyl and found it nestled among Experimedia Lps. I got it.......10 years ago!!!!! Side one features a long 15" eulogy to the lap steel by Gareth Hardwick (who may be the current label boss) called Lost in the Memory (what else lol!). Very similar to Ben's opus but better ;)

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1105982?ev=rb
cybot

Post by cybot »

Finally relented and ordered the damned thing! All I need now is something to play it on lol! Maybe a laser at the end of my tonearm might just work 😱

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... 1973-1979/
cybot

Post by cybot »

Found a laser 😊