57's vs 63's

nige2000

57's vs 63's

Post by nige2000 »

Following tonys new purchase i think this is an interesting topic to compare them
maybe we can get a day to do some comparisons :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Re: 57's vs 63's

Post by Diapason »

This seems to be one of those questions that divides people purely based on taste rather than anything objective. From what I've heard I'd probably lean towards the 57s. Probably.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On their own, without subs or supertweeters, 57's have the upper hand in midrange to my ears. 63's for a more extended range to treble and bass plus a wider despersion. Room will play a part in both cases of course.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Well... they're not chalk and cheese. The 63 was developed as an 'improvement' on the original mono 57 and obviously designed to work as a stereo pair. There is a sweet quality (whatever that means) to the 57s that I think was lost in the 63s but overall the 63s are more forgiving of less than perfect system matching.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Sure we can Nigel. That is my upgrade money well spent this year. Decided this would give me more to play with and enjoy then a DSD upgrade of the Lampizator.

If last nights impressions hold true in the longer term I think you will be a bit shocked Nigel at the forensic level of detail in the 63's.

Davef (don't know how as I don't think he has heard them!) and Ivor seem to be spot on with their assessments.

My long time goal was either stacked 57's or 63's and 57's and swap them around when I get the urge. A bit like bigamy but totally above board and both birds in the room and fully aware of what is happening!

Maybe it is a bit mad but for what is ultimately cheaper then buying for instance a new pair of Spendor A6R's or whatever takes your fancy I have what are considered two of the 'must listen' speakers for us pipes and slippers brigade to covet.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

tony wrote: My long time goal was either stacked 57's or 63's and 57's and swap them around when I get the urge. A bit like bigamy but totally above board and both birds in the room and fully aware of what is happening!
Polyamory is so hot right now. LOL.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:
tony wrote: My long time goal was either stacked 57's or 63's and 57's and swap them around when I get the urge. A bit like bigamy but totally above board and both birds in the room and fully aware of what is happening!
when they named quads i dont think thats what they meant :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:

Thanks Simon for finding the right word. Is it really hot right now?? No one told me
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Congrats Tony on your new babies! ;)

I never tried the 63's myself, but I read a lot about Quads and I fully agree with the above statements of Ivor and DaveF.
For a couple of years I had a German Braun's, then played a lot with stacking of the 57's.
Since the 57's are very beamy, proper hight, tilting left-right and up-down is very crucial. Also with removing the front&rear grill and the rear felt from bass panels gives you more details and transparency.

About which ones are better, 57's or 63's.........the best ones are the ones that YOU like!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote:Congrats Tony on your new babies! ;)

I never tried the 63's myself, but I read a lot about Quads and I fully agree with the above statements of Ivor and DaveF.
For a couple of years I had a German Braun's, then played a lot with stacking of the 57's.
Since the 57's are very beamy, proper hight, tilting left-right and up-down is very crucial. Also with removing the front&rear grill and the rear felt from bass panels gives you more details and transparency.

About which ones are better, 57's or 63's.........the best ones are the ones that YOU like!
Thanks Adam the 63's are incredibly forensic to my ears and accurate.Really appreciating them. TBH so far I could live with either but want to give the 63's a good blast and get to know them. I maybe wrong but they feel very taut and barely run in. The last owner was selling them as he hardly ever used them.

If I had been quicker off the mark I might have got a recent pair of 57's done in OTA. The price was acceptable enough. My concern at this moment was the stacking and the efforts I would have to go to make stands that could tilt and be aesthetically pictured beside yours Adam! That idea can be parked for a future date. I am really surprised how tight the bass is. Sure I have said it already but in Scalford the same speakers had booming bass. A number of informed visitors commented on that and also blamed the room.