57's vs 63's

nige2000

Re: 57's vs 63's

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
Thanks Adam the 63's are incredibly forensic to my ears and accurate.Really appreciating them. TBH so far I could live with either but want to give the 63's a good blast and get to know them. I maybe wrong but they feel very taut and barely run in. The last owner was selling them as he hardly ever used them.

If I had been quicker off the mark I might have got a recent pair of 57's done in OTA. The price was acceptable enough. My concern at this moment was the stacking and the efforts I would have to go to make stands that could tilt and be aesthetically pictured beside yours Adam! That idea can be parked for a future date. I am really surprised how tight the bass is. Sure I have said it already but in Scalford the same speakers had booming bass. A number of informed visitors commented on that and also blamed the room.
well theres always scalford next yr for shopping :)

guess i should like them the way your describing their sound
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:
sima66 wrote:Congrats Tony on your new babies! ;)

I never tried the 63's myself, but I read a lot about Quads and I fully agree with the above statements of Ivor and DaveF.
For a couple of years I had a German Braun's, then played a lot with stacking of the 57's.
Since the 57's are very beamy, proper hight, tilting left-right and up-down is very crucial. Also with removing the front&rear grill and the rear felt from bass panels gives you more details and transparency.

About which ones are better, 57's or 63's.........the best ones are the ones that YOU like!
Thanks Adam the 63's are incredibly forensic to my ears and accurate.Really appreciating them. TBH so far I could live with either but want to give the 63's a good blast and get to know them. I maybe wrong but they feel very taut and barely run in. The last owner was selling them as he hardly ever used them.

If I had been quicker off the mark I might have got a recent pair of 57's done in OTA. The price was acceptable enough. My concern at this moment was the stacking and the efforts I would have to go to make stands that could tilt and be aesthetically pictured beside yours Adam! That idea can be parked for a future date. I am really surprised how tight the bass is. Sure I have said it already but in Scalford the same speakers had booming bass. A number of informed visitors commented on that and also blamed the room.

Boomines is 99% room interaction with the low frequencies. Either cancellation or amplification certain frequencies. It's usually bad position of the speakers or of the listener.......or both!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Would be 63s for me mostly for the level of detail
the 57s have a lovely warm tone I can see the appeal but not for me
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

I think it is all covered above. 63's are forensic in detail compared to the 57's.But not forensic harsh or shrill just really easy to hear detail Now to be fair we only listened to the 57's with two tracks. I would still think the 57's are sweeter with vocals but as Nigel candidly pointed out for testing stuff the detail in the 63's is a winner.

I will live with two sets over a period of time and enjoy both.

As a side note the Soekris dac came and is a very capable performer. The LZ bested it on this occasion imho. Nicer tone and enough detail on the LZ to bring it home.
Unfortunately as we all know Nigel doesn't give up easily! He advised the Soekris was worked off usb power rather than 5v battery at home. Factoring this in and further filtering work means I have to keep looking nervously over my shoulder. For Nigel this was a work of art. It all sat on one piece of wood with no mole grips in site.

Thanks to Ken for bringing the beans(Coffee beans) Very nice just roasted today.
Ken is still clockless but I think the head might be turning if he can find a reliable supplier.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
fergus

Post by fergus »

tony wrote: I will live with two sets over a period of time and enjoy both....
Congratulations on the 63s Tony. They will serve you well, especially with the Jadis.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote: As a side note the Soekris dac came and is a very capable performer. The LZ bested it on this occasion imho. Nicer tone and enough detail on the LZ to bring it home.
Unfortunately as we all know Nigel doesn't give up easily! He advised the Soekris was worked off usb power rather than 5v battery at home. Factoring this in and further filtering work means I have to keep looking nervously over my shoulder. For Nigel this was a work of art. It all sat on one piece of wood with no mole grips in site.
well nearly everything of mine is a 'work in progress' and theres still some areas that the soekris is behind sq wise
for me it can still sound a little flat and it will surely do that in the company of the lampizator, the 1794 dac i have would have a more dynamic range closer to that of the lampizators which kinda makes them more comparable in that regard
the soekris has lashings of detail which will be hard to match
running the soekris dac from usb power was idiotic in hindsight,
it should be one of the commandments of computer audio
'thou shall not power dac from pc'
really had just been lazy coz i would have had to rig up a 5v supply for the day
im expecting new usb to i2s adapters for it so i wasnt gonna hard wire anything temporary in

Thanks to Ken for bringing the beans(Coffee beans) Very nice just roasted today.
Ken is still clockless but I think the head might be turning if he can find a reliable supplier.
i could do with some roasting/bean advice might be interesting to try too

the problems with clocks seem to be in its stability, pcs with two or three clock replacements are sensitive to gnd issues they may work perfectly when untouched put connecting interconnects, usb drives can send the pc haywire and a restart is necessary sometimes they even seem not to want to boot up and that can be as stressful as setting up jplay streaming :)
then there's the possibility of breaking the motherboards during a oscillator removal ive a pile of em to prove it
unlikely id break 2 in a row at the same time
then good clocks are only as good as there powersupply so a powersupply and 2 lifepo4 batteries and switches/relays would be needed for that
its an easier mod after a pico bypass with direct lifepo4 because you can share components

so is it worth the hassle

i suppose it depends how critical you are
i think its a must for high end pc-audio but then i think alot of stuff is :)

it brings fluidity and droves of detail/control
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Lovely warm (18C) sunny April day and the HiFi guys are heading indoors to compare Quads and Dacs in the gloom. Good sounds though and for me the 63s were best. 57s were fine but in comparison they're a bit too soft. Nige's Dac has great promise and he has attained new levels of neatness and acreage redution. The Lampizator held the day though and it would be a bit sad if it didn't but the contest is on.
If ever I was tempted by clock replacement Nige's comments in the post above have cured that. I am trying a new supplier of green coffee http://www.discountcoffee.ie/coffee/cof ... reen-beans price is very good compared to UK/US and shipping over 50euro is free. Will update.

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

Went back again today for a quick listen. Ripped the 57's off the ridiculous speaker stands and tried them out. I had felt it impossible that they had become wooly and soft overnight. Suspicions confirmed. Sitting on their OTA stands only they are much more focused. Next time they are being compared they will remain at that height. I think it is much better. 63's probably still tighter but 57's have the magic.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

wtf

the sony speaker stands were woollying the sound?
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:wtf

the sony speaker stands were woollying the sound?
Whats the confusion? The 57's were balanced precariously on old Sony book shelf speakers. Took them off and sat them back on the floor and it helped sharpen them up.
Remember Scalford and 63's in a room with boomy bass.