57's vs 63's

tony

Re: 57's vs 63's

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:Nothing much to add, but I really liked this video - gives me hope that someday I'll recondition my own!

We visited OTA when heading to Scalford Fran. You would be mightly impressed. The place is a mess! but the stuff turned out is totally out of character with the surroundings. Maybe getting the parts from OTA is the right option for you but I think I would let them do the panels and maybe do the rest yourself if you ever get to that point. Really nice auld lads they could spend the day talking to you about Quads and how they work, they were really genuine and accommodating and we called early Saturday morning.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

lol
yea full refurb is quite an undertaking i was quite surprised

it be inclined to let ota do most of it, they got it all setup and i dont think they charge enough considering the amount of labour :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Watching that brought back memories with all the tape and stacking the books, its an experience rebuilding panels!!!

Worth watching it in YouTube and letting it roll into the next video on Martin Logan gear, very interesting info on electrostatics and why they sound so good.

Post by nige2000 »

Adam what sort of stands would you build/suggest for the 63's and 57's

obviously solid brass :)

i think the eist dubhs are made out of those heavy/dense resin panels for a reason

rigidity must be the reference surely?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:Adam what sort of stands would you build/suggest for the 63's and 57's

obviously solid brass :)

i think the eist dubhs are made out of those heavy/dense resin panels for a reason

rigidity must be the reference surely?
Probably the brass will be the best .....as always, but money wise I will go with maple. :)
Maybe something like half of mine, or just with solid (nor hollow) feet at list 3x3" tick.

I had Arcichi stands in the beginning and I didn't like it! The only good thing wad that you could adjust the up-down.
After that Corian started to be used on some of the best isolation platforms (HRS) and I decided to build my 57 stands from it. After 2 months of building and one finger shorter they looked gorgeous, but my system sounded worst than the transistor radio! The flattest sound that I ever heard....no highs and no bass! I cried for days!!
After a while I bought the Braun's and since they were aluminium frame, I build the frame from 3.5x0.75" aircraft aluminium and raise them up on two 3.5" round bar of the same aluminium! They were at around 17" high and slightly tilted back. I tilted back because I listed in the near position.
I wish that I have some pictures of my successful and unsuccessful projects, but can't find any!

BTW, MDF is considered to be one of the safest options since is resonating on 20 hz and below, but I found that is still sucking the high frequencies.

Something like this would be good:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=quad+esl ... 40&bih=731
Last edited by sima66 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Just looking through old pictures and found this one with the Brauns setup.
At the time I just got my new pair of 57's and started experimenting with stacking.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1428866561962.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1428866561962.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 468 times
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote: Probably the brass will be the best .....as always, but money wise I will go with maple. :)
Maybe something like half of mine, or just with solid (nor hollow) feet at list 3x3" tick.

I had Arcichi stands in the beginning and I didn't like it! The only good thing wad that you could adjust the up-down.
After that Corian started to be used on some of the best isolation platforms (HRS) and I decided to build my 57 stands from it. After 2 months of building and one finger shorter they looked gorgeous, but my system sounded worst than the transistor radio! The flattest sound that I ever heard....no highs and no bass! I cried for days!!
After a while I bought the Braun's and since they were aluminium frame, I build the frame from 3.5x0.75" aircraft aluminium and raise them up on two 3.5" round bar of the same aluminium! They were at around 17" high and slightly tilted back. I tilted back because I listed in the near position.
I wish that I have some pictures of my successful and unsuccessful projects, but can't find any!

BTW, MDF is considered to be one of the safest options since is resonating on 20 hz and below, but I found that is still sucking the high frequencies.

Aha Sure I am ok have those stands already for the 57's!! Thanks for putting me off ever stacking 57's!!!

Is that a woman's leg in the stacked photo? Is that part of the resonance control or required to make sure they sound perfect?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:
sima66 wrote: Probably the brass will be the best .....as always, but money wise I will go with maple. :)

Aha Sure I am ok have those stands already for the 57's!! Thanks for putting me off ever stacking 57's!!!

Is that a woman's leg in the stacked photo? Is that part of the resonance control or required to make sure they sound perfect?
Come on Tony, don't give up on stacking! I just show the way of how not to do it!

Yes, that's the woman leg because I had to edit the picture since the speakers were far in the backround. Sadly I don't have any other pictures.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

this is what the 63 stands are like
sima66

Post by sima66 »

The best way to improve 57's will be to build a heavy and sturdy frame from the scratch and tighten up the panels all the way around!
I remember that when I removed the grills, I could easily push back the top corners of bass panels!

With building stands, as long as you don't use some really shitty stands, SQ will not change much. The height and the angle will play a bigger role.
Something like Tony has will be good enough. I will just ad adjustable spikes under.