CAPSv4

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Steve

CAPSv4

Post by Steve »

Hi Guys,

Total newbie to CA so will undoubtably display major ignorance here...

Current source is a Wadia581SE. Whatever about the foibles I endure regarding its transport section, I've always been very satisfied with sonics, presentation, resolution, musicality, etc., etc. In short, no issue at all with SQ.

But now getting extremely tempted to tuck all cd's away safely in the attic and be able to play 'em all and more via the iPad..

So have looked at options such as Meridian, SoTM, Aurender, etc. Now very interested in the CAPS line as per Computer Audiophile site. Specifically the CAPSv4 Maroubra.
www.computeraudiophile.com/content/620-caps-v4-maroubra-and-bundoran/

Has anyone experiences of this line? Or of dealing with the guys in Small Green Computer who sell them pre-assembled?

I'm not really one for tweaking - more into switching on the HW and simply enjoying the music collection.

Thoughts regarding the DAC will be for another day. What I'm thinking of is getting the CA frontend sorted first, start into ripping all my discs and then start checking out potential DAC options.
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
nige2000

Re: CAPSv4

Post by nige2000 »

i could build you something with more bang for buck

is your cd player something similar to simons?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yep, exact same player as Simon's. (Complete with transport which very much has a personality of its own!)

What did you have in in mind? Just wondering what your thoughts are on the CAPSv4?
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

It might be worth contacting ItemAudio in the UK as well as for similar money you could probably get a better system with cd ripping, JCat USB card and Level 1 Power supply.
http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/prestashop/c ... evel_1_l_b

Post by nige2000 »

Steve wrote:Yep, exact same player as Simon's. (Complete with transport which very much has a personality of its own!)
well your gonna need a pretty decent pc dac combo to beat that cd player :)
What did you have in in mind? Just wondering what your thoughts are on the CAPSv4?
caps v4

looks like the little green computer "bank manager" edition
minimal part count
small and cute and quick and easy to assemble
almost nothing audiophile about it

audio pcs should be more like this config
http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/prestashop/c ... sport.html
its more about power than it is about computer
hmmmn looking at these specs it seems like mark of itemaudio has been researching our build a pc thread

lol see pearse just linked it
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

hifidelit is another option not sure he is as comprehensive on the power supply as Mark but worth a look at his site.
Item despite the vitriol he receives elsewhere knows what he is talking about and he has all the options minus the customs bill for little green computers.

Had a chuckle at Nigels 'Bank Manager' Edition.

For what you are looking for Steve having it built is the best option. Assembly and loading software is not that hard but messing with improved power supply is best left to mad men who enjoy the smell of lead solder and frequent strip downs and rebuilds.

Notice Nigel that Item is supplying a power supply for ram. Will have to look at that. Sure it needs some interference with the board if so it will remain untouched. Had a problem with mine today. Put the lid on it! Queue failure moments later. Much gnashing of teeth and checking cables/disconnecting etc and all back working again. Me thinks the emi paper in the lid is interfering with grounds or shorting something. Shssh! maybe Adam wont check this thread.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great, thanks guys! Certainly seem to be serious pieces of kit on those Item links. More reading up to do so!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:hifidelit is another option not sure he is as comprehensive on the power supply as Mark but worth a look at his site.
Item despite the vitriol he receives elsewhere knows what he is talking about and he has all the options minus the customs bill for little green computers.
better options at item auto
these are more like pretty pcs
Had a chuckle at Nigels 'Bank Manager' Edition.
yea thought it up on my ownsome :)
For what you are looking for Steve having it built is the best option. Assembly and loading software is not that hard but messing with improved power supply is best left to mad men who enjoy the smell of lead solder and frequent strip downs and rebuilds.
yes stay well away from the bleeding edge
reliability and ease of use should be the priority for those that just want to relax and listen
Notice Nigel that Item is supplying a power supply for ram. Will have to look at that. Sure it needs some interference with the board if so it will remain untouched. Had a problem with mine today. Put the lid on it! Queue failure moments later. Much gnashing of teeth and checking cables/disconnecting etc and all back working again. Me thinks the emi paper in the lid is interfering with grounds or shorting something. Shssh! maybe Adam wont check this thread.
off topic
yea they've been doing ext ram power for awhile,
its not very difficult to do
taking out the choke is the worst part
doubt it would make the clock mod reliability any worse
making clocks more stable might be a better use of time methinks
my test audio pc is still a little finicky too
we can always take em out if needs be
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote: Notice Nigel that Item is supplying a power supply for ram. Will have to look at that. Sure it needs some interference with the board if so it will remain untouched. Had a problem with mine today. Put the lid on it! Queue failure moments later. Much gnashing of teeth and checking cables/disconnecting etc and all back working again. Me thinks the emi paper in the lid is interfering with grounds or shorting something. Shssh! maybe Adam wont check this thread.
Tony, you need a PC case with sunroof!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Steve

Post by Steve »

Gents,

Taking on board the feedback that it's more about clean power than actual computer, can I ask if there is a general consensus about best bang for the buck regarding upgrade options such as e.g.
- Item Audio Level 1 linear PSU upgrade
- Upgrade of USB card to e.g. JCAT
- Upgrade of USB cable to e.g. JCAT or to dual conduit design such as iFi Gemini
- External USB power supply e.g. iFi iUSBPower

Thanks for feedback on your extensive experiences to date!