CAPSv4

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: CAPSv4

Post by nige2000 »

80 watts would be plenty enough for audio pc functionality
whether having 500w in the tank or not will make it sound better will be difficult to quantify
id imagine it may to some extent
definetly have found improvements with dynamics in amps using transformers several times the requirement

cant remember what the exact config last time we tested the wadia think we were using pico psu and maplin psu maybe some batteries too

direct linear three rail will surpass

order of sq
superflower 750w
maplin + pico psu 150xt
maplin + 2 sla 7ah batteries + pico psu 150xt
teradak linear atx
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:I know this is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, but how much do you need to spend to get to a reasonable (say, Wadia-level) point on the curve? Put another way: I thought the Meitner was better than the Wadia when heard with Pearse's first incarnation of the Zuma. If I had a Meitner, or maybe a Lampi 4, in my back pocket, how much should I be looking to spend on a PC build?

Are you not just changing diapers these days?? I don't think it is necessarily the cost that will trip you up it is the diy bits that really give it the edge they are the awkward bits.

€1000 carefully spent should get you a decent way there and all the other battery stuff etc you can add on if you need to.
Streacom case is guts of €300 which is biggest part. Mobo and I3 haswell with 8 gb memory is circa €250. PPang V2 USB card is €120.
Maplin is €60. Pico €35, Battery 12v €30. Anker battery for USB operating system is €30. That is getting you a long way there without going crazy. You can forget the maplin battery stuff and go Teradak Nigel/Pearse can advise if that will mean picoless which is a plus. Maplin/battery I think will be cheaper than Teradak but even at that the costs might not exceed €1200. These are just ball park figures
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:80 watts would be plenty enough for audio pc functionality
whether having 500w in the tank or not will make it sound better will be difficult to quantify
id imagine it may to some extent
definetly have found improvements with dynamics in amps using transformers several times the requirement

cant remember what the exact config last time we tested the wadia think we were using pico psu and maplin psu maybe some batteries too

direct linear three rail will surpass

order of sq
superflower 750w
maplin + pico psu 150xt
maplin + 2 sla 7ah batteries + pico psu 150xt
teradak linear atx
The big 820W Teradak has 3x 12v, 2x 5v and one 3.3v.
One of the 5v I used for the 24 pin and the other one for my two SSD's only. Since there were also other changes and longer period of time I can't say what the difference was!
In your opinion is this any benefit or not?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

you mean using separate supplies for ssd?

think direct to motherboard three rail supply is a requirement (picoless) for those with high expectations
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:you mean using separate supplies for ssd?

think direct to motherboard three rail supply is a requirement (picoless) for those with high expectations
No, there are the 6 "regulators" (the 3x12v, 2x5v and one 3.3v). Originally they were all mixed up in in the 3 connectors in the back.
The mod was that the necesasary voltages were taken directly from the "regs" (used 2x12v, one 5v and the 3.3v for the 24 pin and for the cpu).
This way I got one free 12v and one 5v reg. which I wired directly to my SSd's.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:

No, there are the 6 "regulators" (the 3x12v, 2x5v and one 3.3v). Originally they were all mixed up in in the 3 connectors in the back.
The mod was that the necesasary voltages were taken directly from the "regs" (used 2x12v, one 5v and the 3.3v for the 24 pin and for the cpu).
so the rails were merged at the connectors?
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:

so the rails were merged at the connectors?
Maybe this picture will explain better (Teradak from the bottom of the page):
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2832&start=130
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

bypassing plugs/sockets from an emi/rfi point of view ?

the two 5v rail positives are not merged ?
cos that would be silly from a separation aspect
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:bypassing plugs/sockets from an emi/rfi point of view ?

I'm always trying to avoid as many connection as posibile and Teradak had way to many! And I didn't like it the way that the original cables were.
Every rail is connected to the transformer only and from there to the connector.

One 12v + one 5v + 3.3v was used for the 24 pin.
One 12v for cpu.
One 5v for SSD's and the remaining 12v I use for my external CD drive.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:bypassing plugs/sockets from an emi/rfi point of view ?

I'm always trying to avoid as many connection as posibile and Teradak had way to many! And I didn't like it the way that the original cables were.
Every rail is connected to the transformer only and from there to the connector.

One 12v + one 5v + 3.3v was used for the 24 pin.
One 12v for cpu.
One 5v for SSD's and the remaining 12v I use for my external CD drive.
yes prefer the way u did it

cables could be shorter still?

ps cable arrangement/routing all helps but its not going to be one of the worst sq killers for most guys

feeding through batteries bypassed many many issues
but none makes an off the shelf unit at sensible cost

advice wanted on the quad stands on other thread :)