CAPSv4

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: CAPSv4

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
cables could be shorter still?
Now they are 85cm from the end of Teradak. I can short them 10-15cm but that will not help much!
Since the battery PS doesn't work, I should maybe put the capacitors on the PC end?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
Now they are 85cm from the end of Teradak. I can short them 10-15cm but that will not help much!
Since the battery PS doesn't work, I should maybe put the capacitors on the PC end?
ill take another look at the battery ps it should work
ill dig up the old emails
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
ill take another look at the battery ps it should work
ill dig up the old emails
I still have that schematic if that is what you looking for?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Any update Steve?
Has our antics put you off?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Hifidelit

Post by Hifidelit »

nige2000 wrote:
tony wrote:hifidelit is another option not sure he is as comprehensive on the power supply as Mark but worth a look at his site.
Item despite the vitriol he receives elsewhere knows what he is talking about and he has all the options minus the customs bill for little green computers.
better options at item auto
these are more like pretty pcs
Ha Ha cheers Nige - pretty PCs, can I use it on my site?

I'll admit I like my cases to look good in the rack and I do find the A-Tech to be top quality and great to work with and precisely engineered (it is about 4 x the cost of an FC5 after import duty and shipping though so it should be) - none of the 17 different sized screws of HDP and I do find the finish on Streacom cases annoying and plastic cases I don't like.

On the power side I am limited by a small budget and I have to buy everything to test. I currently have an HDPlex dual feed linear and the HDP dc-atx and my pared down audio PC uses a Teddy Pardo but yes my options are currently limited on the website.
My preferred board is the Intel s1200kpr and the xeon 1265l but I can no longer get them easily and I am limited to m-ITX with the A-Tech so options aren't that numerous, I've got an Asus P9D-I server board and xeon 1240l with ECC ram/JCAT usb build which is promising sound wise but it will still have only the HDP or smps options currently.

I have thought about offering some of the PPA builds with modified mb clocks and custom power lines etc. but support and warranty may be an issue to a small home-based outfit like me, that's also why I like to use quality ssd drives like the Samsung 850 PRO with the long warranty.

Great forum this.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Hifidelit wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
tony wrote:hifidelit is another option not sure he is as comprehensive on the power supply as Mark but worth a look at his site.
Item despite the vitriol he receives elsewhere knows what he is talking about and he has all the options minus the customs bill for little green computers.
better options at item auto
these are more like pretty pcs
Ha Ha cheers Nige - pretty PCs, can I use it on my site?
of course
for the extremist of which there are very few true extremists as most guys are copycats rather than obsessive component testers thats how poorer components get purchased and reviewed well as they are never cross referenced

by looking at the build i would guess the teradak will preform better than ppa's linears, there is very little voodoo in supplies there are some benefit of silver wire teflon etc
really thought some of you guys should import a bunch of teradak atx supplies

I'll admit I like my cases to look good in the rack and I do find the A-Tech to be top quality and great to work with and precisely engineered (it is about 4 x the cost of an FC5 after import duty and shipping though so it should be) - none of the 17 different sized screws of HDP and I do find the finish on Streacom cases annoying and plastic cases I don't like.
im sure youll love my no case approach (cases make testing difficult)
On the power side I am limited by a small budget and I have to buy everything to test. I currently have an HDPlex dual feed linear and the HDP dc-atx and my pared down audio PC uses a Teddy Pardo but yes my options are currently limited on the website.
My preferred board is the Intel s1200kpr and the xeon 1265l but I can no longer get them easily and I am limited to m-ITX with the A-Tech so options aren't that numerous, I've got an Asus P9D-I server board and xeon 1240l with ECC ram/JCAT usb build which is promising sound wise but it will still have only the HDP or smps options currently.
ive seen a pic of the hdplex linear they look ok
but i wouldnt concern myself with brand names/boutique parts with large price tags, power supply is the main priority of audio pc it is the most efficient use of cash in the pursuit of good sq, and thinking that if its good teddy pardo written on the box youve good the best power solution your likely naive (but maybe you have to know a bit about ps's to know that)
I have thought about offering some of the PPA builds with modified mb clocks and custom power lines etc. but support and warranty may be an issue to a small home-based outfit like me, that's also why I like to use quality ssd drives like the Samsung 850 PRO with the long warranty.
that would be warranty/customer service hell
it takes a very dedicated user to deal with/understand mb clocks
pity they sound so excellent
Great forum this.
yea most of the time its fairly constructive converastion
Hifidelit

Post by Hifidelit »

The problem I had with Teradak is they are not CE approved which makes selling them with my builds a potential pita regarding insurance (bit of a grey area) I was told and the fact I love the A-Tech cases and incorporating them might have been an issue.

There's also the question of support, build quality (not the ATX version but one I looked at prior to the first group buy on CA)
It wouldn't pass any electrical safety tests where I work.

Heat shrink isn't there to look pretty. It's there to prevent wiring springing onto other connections should the solder joints fail (which they do with age and shock). There isn't any on the earth wire to the case.

The wiring to the PCB should be further secured with a compound like RTV3145 sealant (NOT heat gun glue) or Captain tape. Those wires are tightly packed putting extra stress on the joints.

The jumpers on the PCB are not secured to prevent them falling off. Again RTV would do the job.

On a closer look, it doesn't appear to have neutral on the mains IEC connector connected. This will trip any RCD.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... he-TeraDak
returns etc. do they answer their email regularly, all of which isn't necessarily that big of a concern to the private buyer/hobbyist.

The PSU area has been my biggest challenge to try and get the "right" products and I've spent tons of time on it without much on the website to show for it currently.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

seen many scarier devices with the CE mark

theres a guy i seen on diyaudio made an atx power management board that can be used for a three/four rail ps to be atx functional

there is no main stream solution

but if you can warranty ppa stuff i cant see why teradak stuff is a problem
Hifidelit

Post by Hifidelit »

I don't sell PPA PSUs as they are not CE approved.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Unfortunate you have to compromise so much sq because of the lack of a CE cert

Has ppa USB card, cables got a CE cert?