Locatelli recommendations please

fergus

Locatelli recommendations please

Post by fergus »

I only have a small amount of Pietro Locatelli’s music in my collection represented mainly by some Concerti Grossi and a smattering of sonatas. In an effort to improve this situation I have bought this 5 CD set of his violin concertos….

Do you know this composer’s music and, if so, are there any recommendations that you could make please?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: Locatelli recommendations please

Post by fergus »

I should also say that, depending on how I get on with the above, I am also considering the following sister sets....

Seán

Post by Seán »

Hi Fergus, I can heartily recommend this recording by the Freiburger Barackorchester led by Thomas Henglebrock:

You can buy it as a standalone CD, but don't because you can also get it in this splendid 10 cd set:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: You can buy it as a standalone CD, but don't because you can also get it in this splendid 10 cd set:

Thank you for that Seán; as it happens I already own that 10 CD set. Like you, I would also give it a very high recommendation.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: You can buy it as a standalone CD, but don't because you can also get it in this splendid 10 cd set:

Thank you for that Seán; as it happens I already own that 10 CD set. Like you, I would also give it a very high recommendation.
I thought you might, I would be surprised if you didn't have it. I thought I'd mention it just in case.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
I thought you might, I would be surprised if you didn't have it. I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Cheers Seán, it is that CD and a couple of quite good Naxos CDs that sparked my interest some time ago in Locatelli; I just have not done anything about it until now.