Bug Head Technology Music Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Claus

Re: Bug Head Technology Music Player

Post by Claus »

Great Ken! Found out my files were bad. Kind of blue has for some reason been compromised... All other files working fine, and sounding pretty great!
Clive

Post by Clive »

I have to say that using Ken's settings I'm getting stunningly good results with 4.88 Infectiously good. I just wish it was possible it would start up faster. Maybe the start up ceremony adds to the experience, rather like handling an LP.
sebna

Post by sebna »

How would you rate it in compare to MQN?
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Clive

Post by Clive »

sebna wrote:How would you rate it in compare to MQN?
I can only compare the later non-Haswell MQn versions from sometime back. In command line and black screen mode BH offers a significant improvement. Without the tweaks they are level pegging.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Are you using the full stardust x2 mode? I just compared with jplay 6 "Come pick me up" by Ryan Adams. Cymbals are just unbelievable on my system! Black background and instrument separation is amazing! I hope what I am hearing is not something added by Bug Head, but actually on the recording... ;)
Clive

Post by Clive »

Claus wrote:Are you using the full stardust x2 mode? I just compared with jplay 6 "Come pick me up" by Ryan Adams. Cymbals are just unbelievable on my system! Black background and instrument separation is amazing! I hope what I am hearing is not something added by Bug Head, but actually on the recording... ;)
Yes full Stardust x2.....including all the time this takes. The sound seems very natural.
dannyhc

Post by dannyhc »

4.88 with default tweaks recommend takes this to a whole new level, very smooth sound.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

4-89 out now and just listening to M Davis/My Funny Valentine on DSF and sounding very good.

Hard to answer Seb's question clearly. For me MQN/Wasapi was better than Jplay/KS at the time for all PCM rates. I also preferred MQN/KS to Jplay/KS but the direction of research meant that only 16bit was continuing to develop. Jplay/KS has also improved and has the capability to play all PCM rates and DoP. Now Bughead(IB) has moved on rapidly in some way due to it's rewriting procedure. Previously I used Rewrite program pre Jplay and there was improvement. I think there are flavours of sound associated with Wasapi/KS and ASIO, Jplay played via Wasapi sounded more like MQN/Wasapi and now Bughead via ASIO is similar to Jplay/ASIO. I like ASIO's nimble sound and recent Bugheads have tight bass and great detail. Played Patricia Barber's Verse on 24/96 yesterday and it was the best I've ever heard this album sounding. The setup is a little tedious but well worth it, it's suitable for album playing not single tracks only.
I still think MQN has potential to be best but will have some catching up to do.
Overall it's a matter of taste otherwise we'd all be drinking Duff Beer only.

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Claus

Post by Claus »

I agree with you Ken. Last night I was listening to "tin pan alley". Comparing a few different settings on 4.88. I thought command line and black screen added something. Could not hear a massive difference between default tweaks (blade 10 mmx+) and Ken's recommendation. I unfortunately had the PC restart mid album a couple of times so might need to reinstall server 2012 r 2.... Does anyone know if win10 is likely to good sound wise...?
sebna

Post by sebna »

Thanks guys for a nice roundup. I have to give it a proper try. Just MQN sound so good recently on my setup that whenever I start listening decided to test some new things I just end up playing more and more music and my time for music is gone :)

Do you use Bug Head with OS in Ramdisk? It worked for me initially but recently stopped and I could not get the dual memory mode every to become available even tough I have 16gb ram (but most taken by OS sitting in it)

Cheers,
seb
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+