Mozart symphony cycles.

Seán

Mozart symphony cycles.

Post by Seán »

Hello lads, I am still on a Mozart expedition, so have you any thoughts on the relative merits of the following sets:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Re: Mozart symphony cycles.

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Hello lads, I am still on a Mozart expedition, so have you any thoughts on the relative merits of the following sets:

It has been quite a while since I heard these performances Seán but I remember liking the early symphonies but not the middle/later ones.

I have that set and like it a lot. I think Bohm is a good Mozartian.

Strangely enough I have no Mozart symphonies under Harnoncourt's direction in my collection!

This is another one that I have and also like, but would not be top of the list.

I do not know this one at all Seán but I know that you do not like his Haydn.

I have most of those listed symphonies in another set and also really like them. Walter was one of the Greats for me.

My recommendation without hesitation is the complete cycle by Tate. It is almost a forgotten cycle and very much underrated IMHO. He has a lightness of touch and interpretation that is wonderful listening for me. I have the original issue....

....but I remember it being reissued for about half of the price [just can't remember if there was a booklet of liner notes with it though]....

Both sets can be had on Amazon UK if one was interested Seán. See if you can get a listen on YouTube over the weekend for a flavour.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Many thanks for your comprehensive response Fergus. I must investigate the Tate recordings too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Many thanks for your comprehensive response Fergus. I must investigate the Tate recordings too.

You are welcome Seán. I will be interested to see what you eventually purchase.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

So many different approaches Seán. Personally I would choose Harnoncourt for the early symphonies and Brüggen for the later ones. I don´t think there´s a complete cycle 100% satisfactory, but Pinnock is much better than Hogwood.