Bine Bryndorf in Dun Laoghaire, Sunday 21st June

Diapason

Bine Bryndorf in Dun Laoghaire, Sunday 21st June

Post by Diapason »

A niche interest perhaps, but I know Bine Bryndorf's recordings have been mentioned in positive terms here before, not least by me! She's playing in Dun Laoghaire this Sunday:

http://www.dunlaoghaireorganconcerts.ie/node/10
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Re: Bine Bryndorf in Dun Laoghaire, Sunday 21st June

Post by fergus »

Thank you for that Simon. I will try to get along to that one if I can.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Thanks for posting that, Simon! I enjoyed the concert, Bach and Nielsen. About 50 in the audience: she deserved better!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well, given that I didn't make it along myself, I can't point any fingers! I really hoped to go, but having just arrived back from an organ-related trip late on Saturday night, discretion was the better part of valour and I stayed home to ease the child bedtime burden. In reality, four organ concerts in 3 days might have been too much for me anyway.

I'm glad she played well and that the recital was worth attending. Unfortunate that audience numbers seem to be a little on the decline for that series of late.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
fergus

Post by fergus »

I would have liked to go along to that one myself but unfortunately I could not make it. I would have been particularly interested in the Nielsen, being something different.

I know that it is probably the only suitable venue in Dun Laoghaire but it is not a very appealing one I must say. I call it "The Bunker"; I wonder if that has something to do with the current state of affairs or is it just simply that people just do not want to listen to organ music [most likely]?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

As you can imagine, Fergus, I have quite a lot to say about that question when I get started! Suffice to say that I'm not surprised people aren't really attracted to the vast majority of organ concerts.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Just as an aside, Simon, but obviously related to the discussion, which organ do you personally prefer, the one in Dun Loaghaire or the one in Monkstown, both of which I have heard you playing on?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well, that's quite a difficult question to answer. Dun Laoghaire is a neo-Baroque monstrosity in many ways, with a screeching plenum and a limited tonal palette. However, it has a nice action, speaks very clearly and is really quite enjoyable to play. Monkstown should allow for a greater range of repertoire, and is more suited to romantic music and accompaniment, but its location completely hampers the egress of sound and spoils the balance. The action isn't nearly as precise either and the voicing isn't ideal. The organ could and should have been way better, but that's another story.

So, if I'm playing anything up to Mendelssohn or so I'd prefer St Michael's, but anything later probably fares better in Monkstown, with the exception of some modern works which can go either way. Neither are at the level we'd really like to have available, though.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Well, that's quite a difficult question to answer. Dun Laoghaire is a neo-Baroque monstrosity in many ways, with a screeching plenum and a limited tonal palette. However, it has a nice action, speaks very clearly and is really quite enjoyable to play. Monkstown should allow for a greater range of repertoire, and is more suited to romantic music and accompaniment, but its location completely hampers the egress of sound and spoils the balance. The action isn't nearly as precise either and the voicing isn't ideal. The organ could and should have been way better, but that's another story.

So, if I'm playing anything up to Mendelssohn or so I'd prefer St Michael's, but anything later probably fares better in Monkstown, with the exception of some modern works which can go either way. Neither are at the level we'd really like to have available, though.

Thank you for that Simon. I had often wondered about the positioning of the instrument in Monkstown.