USB Regen from Uptone Audio

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: USB Regen from Uptone Audio

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:was a bit sceptical of how useful this would be on the highly modded pc

like to hear one a -b'd sometime if we can work out a meet up date/venue

mobo port vs usbcard will also be an interesting one
12 v battery would be interesting aswell to assess whether ps has an influence too
Of course PS has an influence :)
well that was kinda rhetorical
id be amazed if it didnt

how much fixing does this usb/dac signal need :(
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: well that was kinda rhetorical
id be amazed if it didnt

Ah, now,there's a $64,000 question.

As many who have this device have said, differences between USB cables become even more noticeable!
As SBGK has asked - is the playback software still of importance? We all know the answer to that, I believe but we don't know the underlying mechanisms at play that cause these audible differences - yet!!

That's what still remains to be teased out but devices such as the Regen do challenge people to think outside of the "digital shackles" that many are tied to & many cling to.

What would be interesting is John Swenson producing his measurements which he seems to be working on although I have a feeling that this will lead to more questions rather than answers. And as a result of what his personal measurements uncovers, I have a sneaking feeling that these measurements may well not emerge for a number of other reasons :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: well that was kinda rhetorical
id be amazed if it didnt

Ah, now,there's a $64,000 question.

As many who have this device have said, differences between USB cables become even more noticeable!
As SBGK has asked - is the playback software still of importance? We all know the answer to that, I believe but we don't know the underlying mechanisms at play that cause these audible differences - yet!!

That's what still remains to be teased out but devices such as the Regen do challenge people to think outside of the "digital shackles" that many are tied to & many cling to.

What would be interesting is John Swenson producing his measurements which he seems to be working on although I have a feeling that this will lead to more questions rather than answers. And as a result of what his personal measurements uncovers, I have a sneaking feeling that these measurements may well not emerge for a number of other reasons :)
Im actually surprised about the widespread enthusiasm of this device in the bits is bits type fourms
Kinda goes against the grain

Would have thought this device would be best built into the USB receiver of a usb dac
Take out some of the cabling

Is there anything special about the supplied smps or is it just one that doesn't suck too bad?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

This is interesting.

Reading Swenson's short commentary leads me to wonder if this will make my JCAT card redundant?

Just how important is getting the USB through PCIe? Was this done since there was no other way known at the time to improve the USB signal? Did the folks making USB cards consider this approach and reject it or is this completely original thinking on how to handle the USB output?

Certainly adds simplicity.

I did not see mention as to whether it makes any difference if you use USB 2 or 3. My gut feeling is that speed for speed's sake is not so good for computer audio. It would not surprise me if USB 2 ports work better.

Wish it was offered without the power supply. Last thing I need.

Seems like simplicity to power with batteries - I would think two 26650s will do just fine.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Im actually surprised about the widespread enthusiasm of this device in the bits is bits type fourms
What forums - I haven't seen much acceptance of it, other than on Computer Audiophile (not a bits is bits forum)
Would have thought this device would be best built into the USB receiver of a usb dac
Take out some of the cabling

Is there anything special about the supplied smps or is it just one that doesn't suck too bad?
It's a Meanwell SMPS - they generally make decent enough units but nothing special except Alex (Johns bus partner & he) tested different SMPSes & this was the best economic option, I believe?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

From previous experience if there's further improvement from the regen on a good usbcard the USB card will still be doing its part

I doubt pcie is the ultimate was to get USB out it was a saleable way to clock the signal
I have tried tomod onboard mobo USB clocks but was unsuccessful

USB 3 was always better than 2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: Im actually surprised about the widespread enthusiasm of this device in the bits is bits type fourms
What forums - I haven't seen much acceptance of it, other than on Computer Audiophile (not a bits is bits forum)
Maybe not but the bits is bits troops are usually deployed with immediate effect on this sort of topic
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote:
Maybe not but the bits is bits troops are usually deployed with immediate effect on this sort of topic
Right but they are afraid of going up against John Swenson as he is a recognised expert in digital at a deep level - he works in a company designing digital ICs at a deep level & while at the same time being open-minded & an audiophile.

If you want to read a really despicable attempt at destroying the credibility of this device & the Uptone company - just have a look at the posts from ArnyK (Arnold Krueger) on the Squeezebox forum

SBGK started the thread - the terrorist sh1t stirrer :) http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... udio-regen

Archimago starts with a naive suggestion to test the Regen device for a noise spike at 8KHz (8kHz USB packet noise) because he had previously found such a spike in his measurements of Corning optical USB & it's reduction in this spike on his badly designed AVR equipment.

ArnyK runs with this as a good red-herring i.e he doesn't know or understand what the Regen device is addressing
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post819116

It gets really scurrilous from there with ArnyK accusing Uptone of being snake-oil salesmen, etc
www.Ciunas.biz
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

You met up with old 'friend' Julf again! Who's still trolling with his half wit stupid remarks.
I don't understand why you put anything on these fora where these guys are sharking.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Clive

Post by Clive »

I'm waiting for these guys to say all usb dacs need a regen chip in-built...."we always knew usb was not competantly implemented". Rotfl