USB Regen from Uptone Audio

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: USB Regen from Uptone Audio

Post by tony »

Mike19 wrote:Like most others........Uptone Regen> Uptone short USB casble> M2Tech Young DAC (2011)> Meridian 2 box 207 CDP/ pre-amp (1989)>
50W NAD 2150 power-amp (1989)> KEF 103/3 Ref -with KEF Kube base enhancer (1989)
Surprisingly nobody commented on this. Thanks Mike for such a long detailed write up on the regen.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Clive

Post by Clive »

I've compared a Regen with linear ps to iFi iUSB 3.0 with its iPower switching ps. I prefer the iFi. Better bass and high treble. With the treble the soundstage is more freed from the tweeters.
tony

Post by tony »

Not sure if this is the right thread but curious on how this compares to the intona?
It has the rugged orange connector used on the intona seems to work similarly but a good bit cheaper.

http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/Datashe ... ds-pdf.pdf
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread but curious on how this compares to the intona?
It has the rugged orange connector used on the intona seems to work similarly but a good bit cheaper.

http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/Datashe ... ds-pdf.pdf
needs to be hi-speed to be comparable to intona
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:needs to be hi-speed to be comparable to intona
Here is another one.
http://www.cesys-shop.com/en/PC-technol ... LATOR.html

Ok see what you mean. for audio is 480mbps necessary? Ok See John's advice that audio devices are transmitting at 480mbps so these are out as an option.
Last edited by tony on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

we were talking bout it here
http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=120

maybe these guys http://www.silanna.com/usb.html chips will become available at sensible cost

the fact is that a few guys tried full speed isolators a few yrs ago with mixed results could be the speed limitation or compatibility issue
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

tony wrote:Ok see what you mean. for audio is 480mbps necessary? Ok See John's advice that audio devices are transmitting at 480mbps so these are out as an option.
The material up to 24/96 plays fine on USB1.1 (12mbps). For any files above that you need USB2.0+.
tony

Post by tony »

frd1996 wrote:
tony wrote:Ok see what you mean. for audio is 480mbps necessary? Ok See John's advice that audio devices are transmitting at 480mbps so these are out as an option.
The material up to 24/96 plays fine on USB1.1 (12mbps). For any files above that you need USB2.0+.
Thanks Fryderck I did a bit more digging last night and came across that on another forum. Really on the items linked it is just a case of whether they are implemented as well as the Intona and accepting stuff above 24/96 would mean removing it from the system. Will check prices again but you are getting a unit with the industrial connector for prices ranging from €80-130 as against 270 to nearly 400 for the intona.
I would reckon 90%+ of my stuff is 16/44 to 24/96
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I am thinking the Isolation is the key part of the Intona as it never ceases to amaze me how little changes in grounding have such a big impact in the overall system and breaking the link between PC and DAC for junk to piggyback on ground has to be a good thing.
I am just guessing all of the above for those who do not know me as I have no credentials to back up the above statement.

The recent issue I had with the Classe amp having a poor connection to the Preamp, this causing eventual buzzing in the left channel and then overheating and cut-out on the amp once again made me realise how much is going on between separates in a rack system.

Anyway you tweaked my interest Tony so I ordered one of the units from Advantech who seem to have an operation in Galway.
Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Intona.

Post by tony »

Sligolad wrote:Anyway you tweaked my interest Tony so I ordered one of the units from Advantech who seem to have an operation in Galway.
Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Intona.
Yes that's great but what about the Entreq Tellus???????