Bespoke Audio...

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
cybot

Bespoke Audio...

Post by cybot »

I've always seen their ads but never checked them out until now. Enjoy.....

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/05/th ... ifier.html

http://www.thebespokeaudiocompany.com
fergus

Re: Bespoke Audio...

Post by fergus »

Beautiful design and detail both of which were emphasised to me by the way that the internal cabling was tied with such care and attention. If everything elase is done to that level of detail of specification the equipment must be of a very high standard indeed.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

That's a serious little pre amp alright, it reminds me I must do lotto!

Interesting points on passive Vs active pre amps too... it is, like much of hifi, a question of getting the right boxes connected to each other and I've had my own passive Vs active pre amp adventure this year which proved interesting.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:That's a serious little pre amp alright, it reminds me I must do lotto!

Interesting points on passive Vs active pre amps too... it is, like much of hifi, a question of getting the right boxes connected to each other and I've had my own passive Vs active pre amp adventure this year which proved interesting.
Which did you prefer Ivor? I've never heard what a passive pre can bring to the table. Would it be similar to the difference between triode vs pentode sonically speaking?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote:That's a serious little pre amp alright, it reminds me I must do lotto!

Which did you prefer Ivor? I've never heard what a passive pre can bring to the table. Would it be similar to the difference between triode vs pentode sonically speaking?
Not that simple I'm afraid! Is it ever? I had an old Audio Innovations (active) with the Quads and it was good. When I swapped in the Eist Dubh speakers all was well until a thought crossed my mind, "what would they sound like without a pre?". Better was the clear answer. Then earlier this year I got a chance at a passive Moth 30 pre for sensible money. It slotted in beautifully! More detail, more space - better everything really. I cant compare triode Vs pentode as I've never compared them directly. It is going to depend on the other bits in the system but that's not news!

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote:

Not that simple I'm afraid! Is it ever? I had an old Audio Innovations (active) with the Quads and it was good. When I swapped in the Eist Dubh speakers all was well until a thought crossed my mind, "what would they sound like without a pre?". Better was the clear answer. Then earlier this year I got a chance at a passive Moth 30 pre for sensible money. It slotted in beautifully! More detail, more space - better everything really. I cant compare triode Vs pentode as I've never compared them directly. It is going to depend on the other bits in the system but that's not news!
That's interesting Ivor. When you first went pre less (is that a term?) I'm assuming you're talking about CD playback only ie taking a line out from the CD players headphone output straight into the power amps input. I know that's the way Noel Cloney used to do it. I'd say a passive pre is a different beast altogether. I'll have to read up on that one :)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: That's interesting Ivor. When you first went pre less (is that a term?) I'm assuming you're talking about CD playback only ie taking a line out from the CD players headphone output straight into the power amps input. I know that's the way Noel Cloney used to do it. I'd say a passive pre is a different beast altogether. I'll have to read up on that one :)

Ah no, my system is very different to Noel's and switching between pre or no-pre is quite easy and quick. My main amp is an ATM1 which is essentially a power amp with gain and provides two line inputs. I used it for years with CD and phono stage connected. To add a preamp all I have to do connect CD and phono to the pre and then connect pre to either input on the ATM

The next paragraph is completely open to correction ridicule and clarification.
A passive pre is essentially a source switching and volume device. Because it doesn't add gain it should be cleaner than an active pre. On the downside a passive pre can lack punch/energy but I've found the ATM more than made up for that. There can also be issues with the length of interconnects but again it didn't seem a problem for me. The previous owner of the passive pre (the Moth 30) added a stepped attenuator volume control which is a significant upgrade too.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: That's interesting Ivor. When you first went pre less (is that a term?) I'm assuming you're talking about CD playback only ie taking a line out from the CD players headphone output straight into the power amps input. I know that's the way Noel Cloney used to do it. I'd say a passive pre is a different beast altogether. I'll have to read up on that one :)

Ah no, my system is very different to Noel's and switching between pre or no-pre is quite easy and quick. My main amp is an ATM1 which is essentially a power amp with gain and provides two line inputs. I used it for years with CD and phono stage connected. To add a preamp all I have to do connect CD and phono to the pre and then connect pre to either input on the ATM

The next paragraph is completely open to correction ridicule and clarification.
A passive pre is essentially a source switching and volume device. Because it doesn't add gain it should be cleaner than an active pre. On the downside a passive pre can lack punch/energy but I've found the ATM more than made up for that. There can also be issues with the length of interconnects but again it didn't seem a problem for me. The previous owner of the passive pre (the Moth 30) added a stepped attenuator volume control which is a significant upgrade too.
Ah right.....

Got it in two Ivor re: pre vs passive. Perfectly well explained :)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Ah right.....

Oh far from it! Just my own limited experience. An interesting point in the above article was how dirty big transformers in a passive pre can deliver that 'energy'. It makes me think that if I like what this small inexpensive quite old simple pre amp is doing what would an expensive high spec one do? Or more to the point not do. I think more than any other component a passive pre amp is expected to do nothing to the signal other than provide a source switch and volume pot - and the less it does the better it sounds. I remember Briano having a passive Music First (and Ken still uses one) and it sounded just gorgeous. Maybe that's my next step? Oh yeah, I must buy that lotto ticket.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: Ah right.....

Oh far from it! Just my own limited experience. An interesting point in the above article was how dirty big transformers in a passive pre can deliver that 'energy'. It makes me think that if I like what this small inexpensive quite old simple pre amp is doing what would an expensive high spec one do? Or more to the point not do. I think more than any other component a passive pre amp is expected to do nothing to the signal other than provide a source switch and volume pot - and the less it does the better it sounds. I remember Briano having a passive Music First (and Ken still uses one) and it sounded just gorgeous. Maybe that's my next step? Oh yeah, I must buy that lotto ticket.

Yes I remember that 'length of wire with gain' comment that hi fi rags used to mentiion.

As regards transformers I've always felt that they are most definitely NOT a good thing. Miles of cable wrapped round a core and with minimal insulation......I know Glenn Croft and others got rid of them completely with their OTL's but only in the power amps.

I do believe the Music First range of amps are heavenly sent (scented?). Good luck with the Lotto!

Anyway here's something to while away the time :)

http://goodnews11.hubpages.com/hub/Insu ... ansformers