Import duties and avoiding them?

Ivor

Import duties and avoiding them?

Post by Ivor »

I recently bought a few LPs from a great site in the US and a while after delivery got an invoice from FedEx for additional taxes and indeed taxes on those taxes. Because most of my purchases are modest I don't get hit with this usually so I simply forgot it was a factor... I figured I'd get a decent haul for the postage while I was at it. Anyway.... I know a seller can mark goods as "samples" or at a much reduced value but these guys got their ass kicked for doing this before so it's not an option - can't blame them.
Are FedEx likely to follow up this invoice? It was for €37 so not exactly peanuts if it's a regular part of their operation.

So... the seller will be guided by myself as best option for Ireland between UPS, DHL or FedEx - who in your experience doesn't bother, or is less likely to bother, with collection of excise?

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
HiFiFan

Re: Import duties and avoiding them?

Post by HiFiFan »

It was a very long time ago but I had a similar experience and I vaguely remember that Fedex did follow up
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I remember buying 1 box of camera film from Japan... and I got hit for 20 euro tax. In the same week I also bought five boxes of film from another Japanese supplier... and it managed to get through o.k. with no tax added.

One import I had to employ a 3rd party to clear import duties on a camera... Bartley Freight, customs clearing agents. I paid him, and he paid the Revenue.

I don't bother to buy outside the EU anymore.... Customs and Excise have gotten much more efficient.

It's just too complicated, getting notifications, getting onto 3rd party clearing agents, scanning receipts, sending emails, awaiting delivery, and also time deadlines.

If you don't manage to get it all sorted in the timeline... the package is sent back with more costs incurred.

In short.... I don't bother anymore, unless I really really require the item... and it is so cheap as to be irresistibly good to pass up.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Well USPS is still lucky for me
USPS give it to an post

FedEx dhl ems etc are almost certain to get the tax of you
And if their the only option I buy within the eu
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

nige2000 wrote:Well USPS is still lucky for me
USPS give it to an post

FedEx dhl ems etc are almost certain to get the tax of you
And if their the only option I buy within the eu
Thanks Nigel,
I'll try UPS next time, I find them pretty good anyway, fairly flexible. The products are specifically US vinyl releases, I doubt if they can be got outside of a handful of US sites.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yep, I agree with Nigel - USPS/An Post all the way!!

I have a feeling that all the courier firms are on the ball with import duties - they probably get spot audited by the revenue?
It can add up to a fair bill as it's import duty on declared cost of goods + shipping cost + handling fee & VAT on the total of all this, I think?

I avoid the courier route if possible but I was asked for a similar amount at the door by a Fedex guy - for one of my DACs being returned for repair :(. I had already told the guy to send it USPS but the idiot didn't. Anyway can't remember what my bill was but I can easily believe yours of €37 for some LPs. I was moaning to the Fedex guy about the bill when he told me "Some girl is going to be in tears when she sees the bill for my next delivery - a wedding dress"
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

US Postal Service USPS or Canada Post every time . No such thing as import duty. Don't confuse USPS with UPS who will be looking for money.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:Yep, I agree with Nigel - USPS/An Post all the way!!

I have a feeling that all the courier firms are on the ball with import duties - they probably get spot audited by the revenue?
It can add up to a fair bill as it's import duty on declared cost of goods + shipping cost + handling fee & VAT on the total of all this, I think?

I avoid the courier route if possible but I was asked for a similar amount at the door by a Fedex guy - for one of my DACs being returned for repair :(. I had already told the guy to send it USPS but the idiot didn't. Anyway can't remember what my bill was but I can easily believe yours of €37 for some LPs. I was moaning to the Fedex guy about the bill when he told me "Some girl is going to be in tears when she sees the bill for my next delivery - a wedding dress"

thanks lads, I'll let them know plain ol' USPS is my preference.

A few years back my wife very kindly bought me a vintage Longines watch from Australia not thinking of the taxes either. It was myself that took delivery at the door and I had to give yer man a cheque that would have bought a bloody good new watch!

Darek

Post by Darek »

Hi, I’m buying from China US Turkey etc. anyway non-EU countries. The main problem with FedEx - DHL or UPS I have if the postage cost isn't specify on customs declaration.

If you are buying for example records or audio components and seller on the customs docket will declare value of 40$ without postage cost in customs office they taking highest postage price (for example 2,5 kg parcel from China will cost around 80€) and together including value declared by seller they calculating the duties.
Last time they really manage to make me angry cos for shopping with value of 12$ and free postage they charged me over 30€ for vat and administration costs.
For customs (I have conversation with them regularly) something like free postage does not exist and somebody have to pay for that.

Always asks seller to specify the postage cost even for 1$ customs don’t really like to do all the paperwork for few euro but for 30+ why not.

I hope it will help with further shopping

Darek
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Thanks Darek, I still have the packaging so I'll check the stated cost of goods and postage.