Has TIR NA gone into abeyance?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Has TIR NA gone into abeyance?

Post by rickmcinnis »

It seems like much too long since this great resource has had much activity.

My personal audio god nige2000 has been away much too long with no explanation of why this extended absence, well, other than being busy, which is, of course, understandable but disappointing when a year ago there would be something new and exciting to inspire one TO DO SOMETHING on an almost daily basis.

One hesitates to post much of anything thinking no one is interested. It becomes the proverbial self fulfilling prophecy of forum DOOM.

So, that is going on?
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
Diapason

Re: Has TIR NA gone into abeyance?

Post by Diapason »

Heh, imagine how it feels for those of us not interested in computer audio!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

Seems like there are plenty of views so obviously people have an interest, just don't necessarily reply.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Forums always go through peaks and troughs, perhaps the peak was as unnatural as the current trough.

I'm often threatening to give this computer audio gig a proper trial with the help of forum members (ahem - are you reading this Tony?) and while it will be a bit Noddy does CA, it will probably generate a lot of heat (if very little light).

One thing is sure, to keep a forum alive you have to keep posting yourself, there will always be reasons why heavy posters have to step back now and again, Life does have the knack of throwing up non-audio problems occasionally.

SJB
james

Post by james »

Sloop John B wrote:
I'm often threatening to give this computer audio gig a proper trial with the help of forum members (ahem - are you reading this Tony?) and while it will be a bit Noddy does CA, it will probably generate a lot of heat (if very little light).

SJB
It would be great to have someone work through the whole computer audio thing .. The more I look at it the more I see software that only works with particular chip sets .. A lot seems to be optimised for particular intel processors

I started with a squeezbox and windows vista but I got sick of either a) having to turn on the computer when I needed music or b) having the computer on all the time and heating the room. So I switched to a qnap server and have never looked back ..
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

james wrote:
Sloop John B wrote:

SJB
It would be great to have someone work through the whole computer audio thing .. The more I look at it the more I see software that only works with particular chip sets .. A lot seems to be optimised for particular intel processors

I started with a squeezbox and windows vista but I got sick of either a) having to turn on the computer when I needed music or b) having the computer on all the time and heating the room. So I switched to a qnap server and have never looked back ..

As always, it is a trade-off between quality and convenience.
Take your pick .....
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

rickmcinnis wrote:It seems like much too long since this great resource has had much activity.

My personal audio god nige2000 has been away much too long with no explanation of why this extended absence, well, other than being busy, which is, of course, understandable but disappointing when a year ago there would be something new and exciting to inspire one TO DO SOMETHING on an almost daily basis.

One hesitates to post much of anything thinking no one is interested. It becomes the proverbial self fulfilling prophecy of forum DOOM.

So, that is going on?
I expect it is more of a seasonal thing than anything else Rick, certainly is for me as during the winter months I like to be tinkering indoors on something or other but during the summer months I really would be hard pushed to be stuck in the innards of my system unless it was a really crap summer.

It is good to get away from all of it for a while too as it is easy to loose your way when buried in it all the time, I have definitely taken a few wrong turns by being too impulsive and not stepping back for a while and just listening.

Cheers, Pearse.

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well I hope that is the case!

Last year, at this same part of the year there was something happening! In my short time here I did not remember it being so soporific.

Looking forward to good things happening here to keep up the tradition. This is in many ways the best audio site I have come across. Good people with interesting ideas and projects; I got nervous there had been a collective loss of interest. Scared me to death ...

Need inspiration to get working on the digital system again. Enjoying the sound of LPs the last few months ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
Mike19

Post by Mike19 »

I joined Tir Na HiFi yesterday, but had been a guest for approx 2 years! The site is very educational and the anti-trolling stance saves valuable time. MQN and various types of advice on building/ powering computers interests me. I had not joined before because my laptop is too old to join in the MQN testing and although I was going to build my own audio pc from components my brother has offered me his fairly new laptop, so can't refuse. Have just ordered an Uptone Regen following advice here. I second rickmcinnis view - this is the best audio site I have come across, I read CA also, but there are too many question marks there and many heads buried in ther sand.
Mike
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Forums ebb and flow from time to time, various reasons for it and the only thing to do is get more involved yourself! Seriously that's the best solution... spark discussion, spark debate even spark controversy!

Welcome aboard Mike.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable